Let's talk about preferences Topic

Style preference. For instance, if I had good in perimeter, but very bad in paint offense, that doesn't exactly add up. Should we assume the discrepancy between the two are as a result of fast break points(fast tempo)?

Offensive and defensive preference. What does it take to get to "good" and "very good". Is it an overall team average of IQ grades? Doesn't appear like anyone has bad or very bad in this category.

Longevity preference. How many years do you need to be at the same school to get to"neutral", "good" and "very good"

Success preference. Exactly what is needed to get to good and very good in both "wants success" and "rebuild" and is it possible to get "good" or "very good" in both.

3/19/2017 3:04 PM
They need to have a "Balanced Offense" preference. Something akin to Pro-Style.

To a lesser degree - maybe a Normal Temp preference as well.
3/19/2017 3:27 PM
"Longevity preference. How many years do you need to be at the same school to get to"neutral", "good" and "very good""

They said in beta that the break even was 4 years...at year 5 you are still neutral but there is a positive modifier.

I think it shows up as good at year 5.
3/19/2017 6:50 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/19/2017 6:50:00 PM (view original):
"Longevity preference. How many years do you need to be at the same school to get to"neutral", "good" and "very good""

They said in beta that the break even was 4 years...at year 5 you are still neutral but there is a positive modifier.

I believe 0-2 is very bad, 3-4 is bad, 5-6 is good and 8+ is very good. I am missing something though because I am almost positive 8+ is very good.
3/19/2017 7:55 PM
Posted by taylorn on 3/19/2017 3:27:00 PM (view original):

I think this is a great idea.
3/19/2017 7:55 PM
Posted by chapelhillne on 3/19/2017 7:55:00 PM (view original):

I believe 0-2 is very bad, 3-4 is bad, 5-6 is good and 8+ is very good. I am missing something though because I am almost positive 8+ is very good.
I guess my question, still outstanding with 3.0, is:

Are all "very goods" created equally? If you and I both have Very Good coach longevity; but you have been at X school for 25 seasons and I have been at Y school 15 seasons....do you still have some fractional advantage on me once the preference multipliers run with the AP.

Same with "Wants Success". Are all the Prestiges that hit Very Good equal? Or is there differentiation between an A+ and A very good & even between two A+ schools. In my experience last cycle - I believe I had an advantage at Syracuse in certain recruitments where it was obvious that "Wants Success" was the culprit.
3/19/2017 11:36 PM
Good stuff chapel and tj, thanks.

Taylorn, I know that applies with distance, for instance if two teams are very good on "close to home". Team A is 200 miles and Team B is 10 miles, I believe seble stated that Team B would have the advantage. So therefore, it's a possibility that it applies to longevity as well. There's really no way to know for sure, unless seble stated it in the forums or customer support will give you that answer. There are too many variables to be able to tell if it makes a difference.

On the second part, I'm just not sure if "wants success" has anything to do with prestige. It's possible a D-1, D baseline prestige team could get up to a B- or C+, where a B- baseline prestige school could get up to A+. Yet, it's still possible the D baseline prestige school could be listed as very good on success. Unfortunately, I don't know the answer.

Trying to figure out the weight of preferences is equivalent to trying to solve the very hard level of a sudoku puzzle.
3/20/2017 1:41 AM

Temp preference would be an interesting idea. Arizona and Arizona State, Miami (FL), schools like that ... Very High. Minnesota, North Dakota, schools like that, Very Low. Unless the recruit wanted low temp's, then southern schools are Very Low and North Dakota is Very High.

By the way, "Are all "very goods" created equally?" According to what Seble has told us, NO.
3/20/2017 1:54 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 3/19/2017 7:55:00 PM (view original):

Guess its time to share some of my observations I've been collecting:

Coach Longevity:

Very Bad = 0 to 1 seasons
Bad = 2 to 3 seasons
Neutral = 4 to 5 seasons
Good = 6 to 7 seasons
Very Good = 8+ seasons

Paint (determined by your overall 3PTA divided by Total FGA)

Very Bad = 42.5% and above
Bad = 35.1% to 42.5%
Neutral = 27.6% to 35.0%
Good = 20.1% to 27.5%
Very Good = 20.0% and under

Perimeter (determined by your overall 3PTA divided by Total FGA)

Very Bad = 22.5% and under
Bad = 22.6% to 30.0%
Neutral = 30.1% to 37.5%
Good = 37.6% to 45.0%
Very Good = 45.0% and above

Defense (determined by overall opponent points allowed per possession)

Very Bad = Z and above
Bad = Y to Z
Neutral = 0.95 to Y
Good = X to 0.95
Very Good = X and below

X = somewhere between 0.804 and 0.843 right now
Y and Z I have no idea as I've never had that bad of defense

Formula I'm using for PTS allowed per possession is:

Total OPP Points allowed divided by opponents total (FGA + 0.44 x FTA - OREB + TO).

If someone wants to share their present recruiting preference data, I'd be happy to narrow these down more.

Feel free to add this to your HD 3.0 guide chap
3/20/2017 12:38 PM (edited)
It's possible to be good in perimeter and neutral in paint. I don't think the two have any sort of inverse relationship.
3/20/2017 1:47 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
It's possible to be good in perimeter and neutral in paint. I don't think the two have any sort of inverse relationship.
There is a 2.5% shift between the Paint preference and the Perimeter one by my observations.
3/20/2017 3:01 PM
I'm also interested in knowing what drives an offense or defense up to good and very good in regards to IQ. I'm going to start charting this, beginning this season. I don't think it does, but I'm wondering if you work on a second offense, if it drives the main offense down from very good to good?
3/20/2017 3:20 PM
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/20/2017 1:55:00 AM (view original):

Temp preference would be an interesting idea. Arizona and Arizona State, Miami (FL), schools like that ... Very High. Minnesota, North Dakota, schools like that, Very Low. Unless the recruit wanted low temp's, then southern schools are Very Low and North Dakota is Very High.

By the way, "Are all "very goods" created equally?" According to what Seble has told us, NO.
He means normal tempo not normal temperature. Lol.
3/20/2017 3:22 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 3/20/2017 3:22:00 PM (view original):
Posted by CoachSpud on 3/20/2017 1:55:00 AM (view original):

He means normal tempo not normal temperature. Lol.
I'd like very high precipitation too.
3/20/2017 3:47 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/20/2017 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
There is a 2.5% shift between the Paint preference and the Perimeter one by my observations.
So by your observation, how is it possible to be good with perimeter, and neutral with paint preferences? Am I misunderstanding you?
3/20/2017 3:59 PM
12 Next ▸
Let's talk about preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.