Let's talk about preferences Topic

Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/20/2017 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
It's possible to be good in perimeter and neutral in paint. I don't think the two have any sort of inverse relationship.
There is a 2.5% shift between the Paint preference and the Perimeter one by my observations.
So by your observation, how is it possible to be good with perimeter, and neutral with paint preferences? Am I misunderstanding you?
I'm not confident at every data point but I'm guessing that the bands are equal. I'm positive on the Paint being at 20.0 and 27.5 and have data points on the high end which fit the narrative that each band is 7.5% wide. Similarly doing the exact same on the perimeter.

If you want to provide some data where you had a Good perimeter preference ranking along with a Neutral in Paint and what your 3PTA/FGA was, I'll add that data point into my records.
3/20/2017 4:13 PM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/20/2017 4:13:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 3:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/20/2017 3:01:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 3/20/2017 1:47:00 PM (view original):
It's possible to be good in perimeter and neutral in paint. I don't think the two have any sort of inverse relationship.
There is a 2.5% shift between the Paint preference and the Perimeter one by my observations.
So by your observation, how is it possible to be good with perimeter, and neutral with paint preferences? Am I misunderstanding you?
I'm not confident at every data point but I'm guessing that the bands are equal. I'm positive on the Paint being at 20.0 and 27.5 and have data points on the high end which fit the narrative that each band is 7.5% wide. Similarly doing the exact same on the perimeter.

If you want to provide some data where you had a Good perimeter preference ranking along with a Neutral in Paint and what your 3PTA/FGA was, I'll add that data point into my records.
The good perimeter, neutral paint was a number of seasons ago, when I was still D3 in Phelan at UW Stout. I don't have those numbers.

Currently, CSUN is bad perimeter and neutral paint. 454/1659, so 27.365%.

Has WIS disclosed the formula? I assume that is very close for perimeter, but having a preference for paint be essentially the inverse of the same formula doesn't make a lot of sense. The implication is that the system treats all non 3-pt shots as if they are points in the paint. If true, that's very unintelligent design.
3/20/2017 4:43 PM
My chestnut team is currently VB for Perimeter and Good in Paint. 22.8% of my shots are 3s.

We have points in the paint stat in the box score. Maybe that's the number they're using?

I'd prefer to have a couple changes to this preference. Either one or the other if not both.

1. Make it % of total points scored, not attempts
2. Include efficiency.

3/20/2017 4:52 PM
Posted by Benis on 3/20/2017 4:52:00 PM (view original):
My chestnut team is currently VB for Perimeter and Good in Paint. 22.8% of my shots are 3s.

We have points in the paint stat in the box score. Maybe that's the number they're using?

I'd prefer to have a couple changes to this preference. Either one or the other if not both.

1. Make it % of total points scored, not attempts
2. Include efficiency.

Agreed, that would make more sense, regarding points in the paint. Though it's not kept in team stats, presumably they have a way to compile it on a game by game basis.

I completely agree on efficiency.
3/20/2017 4:58 PM
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/19/2017 3:04:00 PM (view original):
Style preference. For instance, if I had good in perimeter, but very bad in paint offense, that doesn't exactly add up. Should we assume the discrepancy between the two are as a result of fast break points(fast tempo)?

Offensive and defensive preference. What does it take to get to "good" and "very good". Is it an overall team average of IQ grades? Doesn't appear like anyone has bad or very bad in this category.

Longevity preference. How many years do you need to be at the same school to get to"neutral", "good" and "very good"

Success preference. Exactly what is needed to get to good and very good in both "wants success" and "rebuild" and is it possible to get "good" or "very good" in both.

Success is your last 4 seasons. Not sure exactly what goes in to it beyond that.

But I do know that it's impossible to get VG on success at D3 and I think that's dumb.
3/20/2017 4:59 PM
I'm trying to make sense of why I'm listed as neutral for my primary offense and defense as we're just started scouting for period 1.

I wonder if they just take into account what offensive and defensive IQ you practice for the current season?
3/22/2017 12:07 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/22/2017 12:07:00 AM (view original):
I'm trying to make sense of why I'm listed as neutral for my primary offense and defense as we're just started scouting for period 1.

I wonder if they just take into account what offensive and defensive IQ you practice for the current season?
I believe you will stay Neutral until R1 begins at which point it will look at what Offense/Defense sets you have been using in the majority of games up to that point and your preference ranking will be based on that (not on what you are practicing but what you use in games played).
3/22/2017 12:37 AM
Posted by buddhagamer on 3/22/2017 12:37:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 3/22/2017 12:07:00 AM (view original):

I believe you will stay Neutral until R1 begins at which point it will look at what Offense/Defense sets you have been using in the majority of games up to that point and your preference ranking will be based on that (not on what you are practicing but what you use in games played).
I remember a post by chapel where he had stated that he would practice different offensive and defensive sets in order to gain an advantage with preferences, but maybe he meant playing the same offense he was practicing in the game as well?
3/22/2017 1:06 AM
I'm in rebuild mode, have played 5 games using triangle and 4 games using fast break, after the 2am games. Unless it hasn't changed over yet, I'm still at very good for fast break. Either that or practice minutes does have a small impact.

4/27/2017 3:12 AM
When recruiting a player who has skills that your team sorely lacks, it seems like a "bad" could be spun as a "good". For example, "we don't have a perimeter game because we don't have the shooters, and that's where YOU come in." Or "most of our team doesn't shoot the 3, but player X does. He'll be graduating and we need YOU to step in." We want a perimeter game but we're not going to force something that isn't there currently.

I, at least, like being where I'm needed and wanted.

I guess this is why any one preference can be overcome through recruiting.
4/27/2017 7:42 AM
◂ Prev 12
Let's talk about preferences Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.