Why, as a Cavs Fan, I Hate LeBron James Topic

Precautionary Warning: LeBron Complaint. Stop now if you find the subject matter to be very upsetting.
------------

After going through the 2017 NFL free agency orgy where something called AJ Bouye is now 68 million dollars richer, Tom Brady is currently the 22nd highest paid quarterback in the league.

Tom Brady can be literally anywhere he wants on the salary rankings. He chose to be 22nd. Tom Brady could become a free agent at any time and command half of a team's entire salary cap meant for not two, but rather 53 players. Tom Brady could be paid $50+ million dollars a year, if he so chose. But, out of the 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL, the most valuable player in league history chooses to be paid in the bottom third of his colleagues. As a direct and irrefutable result, the Patriots, led by a head coach whom even the Cleveland Browns deemed inadequate, are the biggest dynasty in men's sports (see: UConn women).

I'd like to transition to basketball. (Footnote: back out slowly. There's still time!) LeBron James, despite currently being a billionaire (footnote: that means he's worth one thousand—thousand—thousand dollars. One thousand million dollars. Billion with a capital "B" dollars) is paid 4 million *more* dollars (footnote: LeBron is paid 30 million annually, which is enough to buy 120 million gumballs at the mall) than anybody else in the entire NBA. Like Tom Brady, LeBron can name not only his salary, but he also had the opportunity very early on in his career to decide how many championships he would like to win. He answered those two questions in three consecutive sentences.

LeBron said, "I'm so egotistical that I want to be paid money I will never spend. And Michael Jordan can keep his six damn O'Briens. Team accomplishments are not my primary interest as a professional athlete."
-----------

Let's recap. Tom Brady, despite being passed over 198 different times in the 2000 NFL draft [footnote: every single team in the league, all thirty-two of them—when explicitly asked "Yes, Tom?" or "No, Tom?"—eagerly proclaimed "No, Tom!" at least *six* times. Tom Brady was selected even after such strange objects as "Giovanni Carmazzi", "Mareno Philyaw", and "Anthony Midget". He was, Swear to God, selected even after a strange Scandinavian lumberjack named "Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen" (you can't make this **** up)] is considered the most valuable player among the hundreds of millions of Americans to ever play the sport.

LeBron James, despite being quite arguably the most gifted athlete alive (and, arguably, really, ever), will always be held in lower esteem in his own sport than at least one other player. I find the dichotomy to be very interesting.

I am pleased to have James back. Why he initially left, I understand not. But......*But*.......his pointless need to be paid pointless money has made the Cavs a far thinner team than they otherwise would be, and I am disappointed in what is ultimately a myopic, self-serving failure of leadership by a man who pretends to be something he's not. At 18 years old, before he had played a second in the NBA—hell, before he literally had even *graduated high school*, Nike paid LeBron James 93 million dollars.

LeBron has never thought that that 93 million dollar agreement was generous enough.

(Footnote: I recognize that the proper way to insert a footnote is not to write "footnote" as a footnote.)
3/20/2017 9:22 PM
dumb - w/o James your favorite franchise is a 3rd tier backwater worth only a Mike shooting over Nance and Ehlo footnote in the annals of the game
3/20/2017 9:50 PM
Tom Brady's high maintenance wife makes Tom Brady the highest paid QB in the league. By millions. Hundreds of millions.

Tom Brady might be a tad less altruistic if his supermodel wife wasn't the actual bread winner in the house.
3/20/2017 10:53 PM
And despite all of that, the Cavs' roster is as talented as anybody's in the league. Seems okay to me.
3/20/2017 11:20 PM
So he should have opted out of his contract to go join the Warriors for a dollar a year?
Lets not forget that BB is notorious for cutting players that are too pricey with no regard for public opinion.
3/20/2017 11:44 PM
As long as Brady can still play like Brady, Belichek would never cut him. I don't think Kraft would allow him to if Belichek wanted to.
3/21/2017 12:52 PM
Yes I agree. Only would happen if he tried to hold out or something over the top like that.
3/21/2017 5:07 PM
or if he took a knee during the national anthem
3/21/2017 8:26 PM
Colin Kaepernick wasn't cut by anybody. Nice try.

Also, too the author...thank you for the gumball analogy. I was having trouble putting it in perspective.
3/24/2017 10:31 AM
Until he came back to Cleveland, Lebron James was never even the highest paid player on his own team. He took a fair amount less than the max to sign in Miami. Sure he probably could have been kinder to the Cavs on his return, but he just doesn't like how Gilbert (especially) handled his exit. And here's the thing, his contract hasn't hampered the Cavs ability to field a team a round him at all. James could be playing for the minimum this year and the Cavs would still be over the salary cap.
3/24/2017 1:10 PM
Wondered when you were going to start the LBJ-slurpin' in this thread too.
I, like many others, will never agree with your view since LBJ could never lead a team to a Championship. Lamely recruiting other All-Stars to do that for him lowers him some.
3/24/2017 2:42 PM
Brought the Cavs to back to back Finals, so no real Cavs fan would hate the guy. Hows the weather in Boston OP?
3/24/2017 3:37 PM
Posted by all3 on 3/24/2017 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Wondered when you were going to start the LBJ-slurpin' in this thread too.
I, like many others, will never agree with your view since LBJ could never lead a team to a Championship. Lamely recruiting other All-Stars to do that for him lowers him some.
Pau was a top 3 player in the league when he went to the Lakers no? Magic nor Kareem nor anyone did it alone!
3/24/2017 3:39 PM
no, Pau was not a top 3 player (ever- he wasn't even on any of the 3 all league teams that season) - top 20 probably (he did make a few all league second and third teams in there during his run) but not top 3, that's crazy

and what the F does that have to do with your argument anyway?
3/24/2017 9:24 PM (edited)
Dirk might be the closest to win one alone
3/24/2017 10:09 PM
12 Next ▸
Why, as a Cavs Fan, I Hate LeBron James Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.