In DIII we are not able to customize practice plans, Wr balance has caused my Wr to lose attributes for blocking. Is blocking not an important attribute for Wrs?
3/21/2017 7:56 PM
No.
3/21/2017 8:21 PM
4real, you asked that question is such a confusing manner, I wonder if my wife has hacked your account. For real.
3/21/2017 10:39 PM
Posted by badaxe on 3/21/2017 10:39:00 PM (view original):
4real, you asked that question is such a confusing manner, I wonder if my wife has hacked your account. For real.
LOL!
3/22/2017 12:57 AM
Posted by badaxe on 3/21/2017 10:39:00 PM (view original):
4real LMAO
3/22/2017 9:51 AM
4real -- I will disagree slightly with the fine gentlemen above. WR blocking / strength IS important ONLY if you run certain offensive schemes. See: Wishbone or some other funky all run / no pass offense. For MOST other formations / styles / gameplans, it really does not.

Namaste.
3/22/2017 10:14 AM
I had a D3 team last season and I think if you use the "WR-Possession" practice plan, some time is allocated to blocking.
3/22/2017 12:17 PM
If I recall properly (and I can't remember if this applied to Version 2.0 or Version 3.1, or both)....the WRs and other non ball-carriers have blocking "influence" on each running play. That "influence" is a lot when its OL (Tackles more on outside runs and G/C more on inside runs), vs a "little" from a WR on inside runs...and maybe a little more on outside runs.

In any case, I do not think it can be measured. As a running team, I favor strength and blocking at every position and hope the QB does not trip on the pulling guard's ankle......
3/22/2017 6:41 PM
I don't think blocking is bad to have at wr. A wr block can be the key between a 3 yard play and a TD.
3/22/2017 9:04 PM
I think I practice it enough that the rating doesn't decline,but I can't really remember
4/3/2017 9:45 AM
Posted by PhilFulmer98 on 3/22/2017 9:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't think blocking is bad to have at wr. A wr block can be the key between a 3 yard play and a TD.
This game does not always reflect real life players. You would think that a WR would block but does not.
6/20/2017 3:33 PM
Yes. WR block and their influence is determined based on their route. It acts as a modifier in the zone of influence. From a personal perspective, I do not calculate WR blocking into my ISO theory because if you have a WR deep/middle...that player is just not going to influence a positive gain at the line of scrimmage.

Hope this makes sense.

nitros (James)

If the "block" function is unselected on the formation do Tight Ends/Full Backs block on running plays? Same question could be asked of Wide Receivers on any given play. (noah23 - Hall of Famer - 6:11 PM)

Yes. Tight Ends, Full back, and WR will all block. The difference is where their blocking influence will occur. If they are set "isBlocking" they will be added to the offensive line and influence very short and short runs in the middle and to the outside. If they are not blocking they will have blocking influence based on there route specification. For example, if a TE has a 50% chance of running a medium route, a 50% chance of running a short route his influence will be split between those two locations.

6/20/2017 7:20 PM
If you are curious, here is the grid for blocking at the line of scrimmage. This is the information I use to gameplan my ISO theory for running plays.

nitros (James)

P.S. Better have some good TKL CB's if you play an outside run team.

P.S.S. - You should also note how pre-snap alignment impacts what players influence a run play/pass play. I personally think pre-snap alignment is a bit overlooked.

On an inside running play, who is involved in blocking at the LOS for the offense and defense? Who is involved on an outside running play? (slid64er - Hall of Famer - 6:44 PM)

This varies as the play goes because the location will change, but for demonstration purposes here is an example. Note: the partial value depends on position and current location of the play. This information is available on the formations page in the blocking section
OFFENSE (using IFormation as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL2, OL3, OL4. Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL1, OL5, TE (if blocking). Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
DEFENSE (using 4-3 as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: DL2, DL3. Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: CB1, CB2 Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS

6/20/2017 7:24 PM
I personally practice blocking and strength for my WRs on my D1A teams.

I have a WR with 75 STR/ 69 BLK and a WR with 60 STR/ 78 BLK on my Oklahoma team.

I think they can contribute on certain plays without catching the pass.
6/20/2017 7:48 PM
Posted by nitros on 6/20/2017 7:24:00 PM (view original):
If you are curious, here is the grid for blocking at the line of scrimmage. This is the information I use to gameplan my ISO theory for running plays.

nitros (James)

P.S. Better have some good TKL CB's if you play an outside run team.

P.S.S. - You should also note how pre-snap alignment impacts what players influence a run play/pass play. I personally think pre-snap alignment is a bit overlooked.

On an inside running play, who is involved in blocking at the LOS for the offense and defense? Who is involved on an outside running play? (slid64er - Hall of Famer - 6:44 PM)

This varies as the play goes because the location will change, but for demonstration purposes here is an example. Note: the partial value depends on position and current location of the play. This information is available on the formations page in the blocking section
OFFENSE (using IFormation as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL2, OL3, OL4. Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: OL1, OL5, TE (if blocking). Partial influence: RB (if blocking)
DEFENSE (using 4-3 as example)
INSIDE RUNNING PLAY: DL2, DL3. Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS
OUTSIDE RUNNING PLAY: CB1, CB2 Partial Influence: DL1, DL4, LB1, LB2, LB3, SS, FS

Thanks for that info. There's another thread out there asking if people bother to slot their OL in the C/G/T slots or not. I think this tidbit supports doing just that rather than putting your best 5 for running or your best 5 for passing. The effect might be minor but it still looks like it's factored in.
6/20/2017 7:54 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.