D1 vs DII preference value? Topic

I did a little test with a couple of my friends who also play, and the numbers I got back were a 1.1 difference for every 1/3 of a prestige grade and 1.1 difference for every time you go from Good to VGood. And a 5.37 multiplier from D3 to D1... so 1.1x=5.37 -> x=16.5ish... so we need to find 17 of these 1.1 jumps, which is totally doable.

Prestige jump from D- to A+ accounts for 11 of them
each preference jump from VB to VG is 4
3/23/2017 2:44 PM
Posted by benrudy on 3/23/2017 2:44:00 PM (view original):
I did a little test with a couple of my friends who also play, and the numbers I got back were a 1.1 difference for every 1/3 of a prestige grade and 1.1 difference for every time you go from Good to VGood. And a 5.37 multiplier from D3 to D1... so 1.1x=5.37 -> x=16.5ish... so we need to find 17 of these 1.1 jumps, which is totally doable.

Prestige jump from D- to A+ accounts for 11 of them
each preference jump from VB to VG is 4
Remember that prestige has different weighting based on division (D3 matters very little, D2 a bit more, D1 matters a lot) so not all prestige grade differences are similar.

Similarly preferences have different weighting (offense/defense are weighted less than the Style preference for example) and not all VG are equal either (15 minute promise is VG but obviously a 25 minute promise is worth way more).
3/23/2017 3:00 PM
What I would like to know is a D3 A+ team coming off a NC get a better preference multiplier than a D1 B team coming off say a losing season for a D1 recruit wanting success.

I would assume the D3 team would score VG? and the D1 maybe gets Bad? Would the Bad be a negative multiplier or just less positive credit.

Thoughts?
3/23/2017 3:05 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 3/23/2017 2:34:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 3/23/2017 1:31:00 PM (view original):
Here is what I mean. I'm going to just make up numbers for sake of explanation. Let's say each team puts in 5 AP. Both teams have are a distance of 100 miles and player wants to play near home. Team A is D1 and team B is D2. Both are B prestige.

Effort - 5 AP
Preference multiplier - 1.5
division multiplier - 4
prestige multiplier for D1- 3
prestige multiplier for D2 - 1.5

Team A is D1
5 * 1.5 * 4 * 3 = 90 total credit

Team B is D2
5 * 1.5 * 1.5 = 11.25 total credit

So yes the D1 team has more total credit assuming same effort put in. But the multiplier effect of the single preference is the same. In this case its 1.5 for both.

The question is not if both divisions use the same multiplier. The question is, is a D1 VG = to a D2 VG. The answer is no. A D1 team does not get the same credit for a VG preference as a D2 (assuming here that the true preference value is actually equal, i.e. 100 miles away from both schools for distance). Even if the multiplier is the same, the lowest D1 gets a better division multiplier (that affects all effort) than the highest D2. So the D1 is getting more credit.

Of course, we should all know by now that not all VGs are equal, and not all preferences are equal. If the A+ D2 National Champion has very good for wants success, the effort credit modifier they get could conceivably be worth more than a D1s VG for playing the right offensive set.
We're saying the same thing but maybe we're interpreting the OP's question different. Maybe he can clarify what he's really asking.

I think he's saying "I'm in a battle. I know I am behind in prestige and division modification. Am I ALSO more behind for the preference as well?"

So yes, of course the end result will be that the D1 team is ahead. But that's not what (I think) he's asking. He's asking if D1 teams get 3x multiplier for the VG and D2 teams get 2x or if they are both 2x.

I believe the answer is yes - they have the same preference multiplier.
3/23/2017 3:07 PM

Remember that prestige has different weighting based on division (D3 matters very little, D2 a bit more, D1 matters a lot) so not all prestige grade differences are similar.

Similarly preferences have different weighting (offense/defense are weighted less than the Style preference for example) and not all VG are equal either (15 minute promise is VG but obviously a 25 minute promise is worth way more).

is that all confirmed by the staff? interesting

Yeah, these arent exact numbers, but they should be close. My holdout sample showed i was off by a little, but not by a whole lot.
3/23/2017 3:38 PM
Posted by benrudy on 3/23/2017 3:38:00 PM (view original):

is that all confirmed by the staff? interesting

Yeah, these arent exact numbers, but they should be close. My holdout sample showed i was off by a little, but not by a whole lot.
The first part I've never heard. The 2nd part yes seble mentioned that many times.
3/23/2017 4:02 PM
Nothing about the value of prestige has changed since 2.0 (some people say its been nerfed but I'm skeptical that Seble would of revamped that portion of HD).

In HD 2.0, a A+ D3 team had nowhere near the same recruiting advantage over say a C+ D3 team that a A+ D1 team did have over a C+ D1 team.

In Division 1, it was likely around 50% advantage for a full letter grade (ex. A+ vs. B+) while for D3, the difference between an A+ and a B+ was likely around 10%.
3/23/2017 6:34 PM
B: “The short answer is yes, they are the same multiplier.”
PK: “Since there is a division multiplier that affects all effort, how is your answer yes?

The answer in four parts:
(A) It was important for the little guy to dispute what CoachSpud wrote earlier, although a reading of CoachSpud’s post reveals it is correct.
(B) The old “90 total credit = 11.25 total credit,” which we tend to forget sometimes.
( C ) By posting something outrageous he gets you to pay attention to him.
(D) “I believe the answer is yes - they have the same preference multiplier,” because they are SPELLED exactly the same.

Always remember the big-picture context of the debate.
3/23/2017 7:38 PM
When did spud start talking the 3rd person? Or maybe he messed up again and forgot to log out of his alt ID.
3/23/2017 8:36 PM
◂ Prev 12
D1 vs DII preference value? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.