Impacts of 3 PT Frequency Topic

Posted by all2matt on 3/24/2017 8:55:00 PM (view original):
I like it because it's easy to remember and read thru. No one really suggested it to me it's just something I did in GD with the RBs and WRs. For me it's helped because I can look and see a SG is putting up 17/game but shooting 40% then compare him to a PF getting 12/game but see he is at 55%. So I then up the PF a couple of pts and lower the SG a couple and see how it plays out. I like 50% for my bigs and 45% from my guards depending on how many 3s they shoot. 40% is my goal for 3s and I'll move them up or down based on that.

i use solely rating for the 1st 10ish games and then after that adjust by results, all I can say is some players play better than their ratings and some don't. I don't always know why so I just ride the trends and hope it works out well. This Ole Miss has been solely run with that method in mind from day 1.
Interesting so you got it from Gridiron? You set goals for hoops dynasty? I am interesting in hearing some of your goal setting and how you prolong your career.
3/24/2017 9:17 PM
In goals I more less mean that's where I try to get the numbers to fall. If I have a big shooting 55% I will keep using his distro til,he gets to 50% as long as it doesn't hurt the other players. Same with 3s I want keep upping the amount I shoot til they fall below that mark, but again as long as it's not hurting other parts. I mainly play with the midset of i adjust 75% towards my players and 25% towards the other team. So even if I run into an amazing defender I'll only drop him a bit because I assume the RNG will not allow him to get shots anyway so why over compensate.

now with PGs it's hard to find the balance, I want my PG to assist 1st and score second but sometimes the numbers just don't allow for that, both good and bad.

with SFs it's equally hard I really have to by the results unless they truely are more of a 4 or a 2, if they are more balanced then you just let them tell u how you need to adjust
3/24/2017 11:29 PM
Posted by all2matt on 3/24/2017 11:29:00 PM (view original):
In goals I more less mean that's where I try to get the numbers to fall. If I have a big shooting 55% I will keep using his distro til,he gets to 50% as long as it doesn't hurt the other players. Same with 3s I want keep upping the amount I shoot til they fall below that mark, but again as long as it's not hurting other parts. I mainly play with the midset of i adjust 75% towards my players and 25% towards the other team. So even if I run into an amazing defender I'll only drop him a bit because I assume the RNG will not allow him to get shots anyway so why over compensate.

now with PGs it's hard to find the balance, I want my PG to assist 1st and score second but sometimes the numbers just don't allow for that, both good and bad.

with SFs it's equally hard I really have to by the results unless they truely are more of a 4 or a 2, if they are more balanced then you just let them tell u how you need to adjust
Interesting any other goals you set for hoops dynasty? Do I need to set goals for hoops dynasty just like I do for real life?
3/25/2017 12:16 AM
I tried to read most of the responses while skipping over Wardo's nonsense, so I will add my thoughts.

Adjusting +/- for each individual three point setting, first requires what your overall team philosophy will be for each opponent. I've changed my +/- settings several times over the course of the season based on my teams strategy, but within certain limits.

For example, playing against certain defenses will allow you to adjust your individual three point settings. A 70 PE guy will be more effective vs a 2-3 zone than a man to man defense. Some people don't realize that the perimeter rating is not how well you can shoot 3s, it just determines how far you can shoot away from the basket with consistency.

You might have an 85 perimeter guard, but has all the tools such as ath, bh and lp to be able to score inside with more efficiency than shooting three pointers, which would affect the +/- settings for individual three pointers.

To answer the original posters question and from my experience, I believe that to be the case. For instance, if you're setting is +2 for 3's, you're pretty much forcing more shots from the perimeter, where as if you're setting is 0, you're basically giving him more options to look to score, which would result in shooting 3s much more efficiently.
3/25/2017 1:15 AM (edited)
Posted by skinndogg on 3/24/2017 4:50:00 PM (view original):

If I have a player who is 80 or above, I will put him at 0. The only reason I would go +1, is if he was one of those rare birds that have a red 1 LP, and a 85 or above in PER. If he's more efficient at hitting 3's than he is at taking non-3 pointers, then put him at +1. So unless you are just trying to set a 3 point scoring record, and winning is more important than your stats, 0 is as high as you need to put your settings.

I use +1 and +2 ALL the time.
3/25/2017 6:55 AM
do we know how the engine picks which shots are from 3?

First the engines decides who will shoot based on DISTRO, TEAM DEFENSE, IND DEFENSE AND SETTING.
Then the engine decides what type of shot it is based on +/- settings, individual ratings, defense, defensive settings and individual defense scores.

Basically, if you attempt more shots from 3 with that player, will he be dropping some of his worst 2pt shots? will it improve his 2pt%? i
think the OP is asking "if we hold the opponent's positioning constant, if i change Robert Robertson's 3 point frequency from -2 to -1, will Robert Robertson's 2pt% increase?

In some cases, I think so. I am not 100% sure.

Admin has said there is a decision in the event tree which is roughly what type of shot it is. I just don't know the order. If it "is it a 3 or 2 point shot" first the answer is no. If it is "it is a jump shot or post shot" than yes because a higher setting will convert long(ish) 2's to 3.

And if so, will it increase by enough to offset the lowered efficiency by shooting 3's when you arent actually good at it?"

No. But the inverse is true. I have had Perimeter shooters who's efficiency decreased as they took more 2 point shots.
3/25/2017 7:10 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 3/25/2017 7:10:00 AM (view original):
do we know how the engine picks which shots are from 3?

First the engines decides who will shoot based on DISTRO, TEAM DEFENSE, IND DEFENSE AND SETTING.
Then the engine decides what type of shot it is based on +/- settings, individual ratings, defense, defensive settings and individual defense scores.

Basically, if you attempt more shots from 3 with that player, will he be dropping some of his worst 2pt shots? will it improve his 2pt%? i
think the OP is asking "if we hold the opponent's positioning constant, if i change Robert Robertson's 3 point frequency from -2 to -1, will Robert Robertson's 2pt% increase?

In some cases, I think so. I am not 100% sure.

Admin has said there is a decision in the event tree which is roughly what type of shot it is. I just don't know the order. If it "is it a 3 or 2 point shot" first the answer is no. If it is "it is a jump shot or post shot" than yes because a higher setting will convert long(ish) 2's to 3.

And if so, will it increase by enough to offset the lowered efficiency by shooting 3's when you arent actually good at it?"

No. But the inverse is true. I have had Perimeter shooters who's efficiency decreased as they took more 2 point shots.
I thought Perimeter scorer's would increase with shorter range?
3/25/2017 7:28 AM
The game has three types of shots I think.

Shots in the paint
Mid range jumpers
Three point shots

I think the second and third use the same(ish) formula which is per/spd/bh based. The first is a different formula (or at least different weighted values) and more aht/lp orientated.

When you increase the + setting for 3 point shots, I THINK, players take more 3FGA (at a lower success rate) and less "mid range jumpers".

In that situation the the FG% will go down but the efficiency will go up.
3/25/2017 10:23 AM
TJ-thanks for the responses! That helped a lot
3/25/2017 11:12 AM
One way to look at guards scoring is like this: say I have a guard that shoots 12 shots in a game
1. If he's a +1, he goes 4/12 and 3/10 from 3, with 1/2 FTs. Thus scores 13 points on 13 shots.
2. If he's a 0, he goes 5/12 and 2/5 from 3, with 2/3 on fts. Thus scores 14 points on 13-14 shots. Here he gets more FTs because he gets fouled unlike above because he's getting into the D, which also may help other FTs by getting in the bonus.
3. If he's -1, he goes 6/12 and 1/2 from 3, with 2/3 on fts. Thus scoring 15 points on 13-14 shots. Again gets FTs

if my guard in situation 1 starts hitting 5/12 from 3 then I'm getting 15 pts/game on less shots so I wanna keep him up. If my guard is in situation 2 he's scoring effectively from 2s and 3s but depending how effective I'll move him more towards 1 or 3 if 1 side is noticeably better. These are numbers I see over and over with my guards it's just trying to figure out if I should move up or down. On my current Ole Miss team I had McCormick at -1 and Balentine at 0.
3/25/2017 11:22 AM (edited)
I think this is the right way to look at it all2matt. But I'd never have a guy take 10s in a game if he can only make 30% of them. Btw - your first example adds to 12 points not 13.

But I think maybe people are overestimating how much efficiency drops when they increase distribution or increase 3pt tendency.

Here's a guy I had that might be a good example
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerHistory/Stats.aspx?pid=3378763

His JR season, he shot 46.9% on 3s. Took 179 3s in the season. eFG% of 65% and scored 13.2ppg.
His SR season, it dropped to 43.0% but he increased the number of 3s take to 351. Just about double from the previous season. Still had an eFG% of 62%

He was able to score 21.5 ppg in only 17mpg off the bench. That's elite scoring efficiency.
3/25/2017 11:59 AM
◂ Prev 1234
Impacts of 3 PT Frequency Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.