The letters aren't equal to the same numeric values that they are in other ratings. ie.. a C rebound might be around a 50, but a C FT grade will be between 66% and 69%. 3 percent per partial letter grade, or 9% per full letter grade

A+ 87%
B+ 78%
C+ 69%
D+ 60%
3/27/2017 2:19 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 3/27/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/26/2017 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/25/2017 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Do the letters equate to the same numbers as the letters in recruiting? If so, why don't they just use numbers? If not, what do the potentials equate to in letter gain?
Bump because I still want to know this ^
I'm not positive I understand your question, but if you're asking if the FT letters correspond to an actual number rating the way letter grades correspond to un-scouted attribute numbers in the scouting process, the answer is ? because scouting grades have different ranges in different attributes. It's not even apples and oranges, it's apples and tangerines, and nectarines, and grapefruit.

Is there an actual attribute number under the grade that is simply obscured? Maybe. If so, I suspect it's not represented as a number because the game developers don't want it to be explicitly known. Most likely, in my thinking (and I could be wrong) it is simply moving on a different scale, like IQ.
I was asking if a C+ free throw rating equates the same number as a C+ rebounding rating in scouting, and if a blue free throw rating is the same amount of improvement as a blue rebounding rating; ie, would a blue C+ free throw rating equal 60+(20-27) (I don't have my chart on me right now to give the exact value of a C+ scouting number) and that 87= a A+ free throw rating.

I am not asking if the rating equals the % that the player is going to shoot, just like with Perimeter I assume a higher rating just gives the player a better chance to make the free throw, not equate exactly to what he player is going to shoot.

If I am understanding this correctly, the answer is no and the numbers are not similar

How much improvement should you expect with yellow, black, blue, and green potential?
3/28/2017 9:57 AM
Posted by scoopdogg1 on 3/24/2017 4:21:00 PM (view original):
I always emphasize the free throw rating when recruiting a player. I have had teams blow leads in the NT due to missed free throws at the end. It cost me a possible National title in Phelan about 10 or so seasons back. Even if players don't improve in the rating, it's important to have at least 6 minutes of practice time on free throws to keep it from dropping.
John Calipari? Is that you?
3/28/2017 12:57 PM
I always emphasize the free throw rating when recruiting a player. I have had teams blow leads in the NT due to missed free throws at the end. It cost me a possible National title in Phelan about 10 or so seasons back. Even if players don't improve in the rating, it's important to have at least 6 minutes of practice time on free throws to keep it from dropping.
3/28/2017 12:57 PM
Posted by mb625 on 3/28/2017 12:57:00 PM (view original):

You trying to say he can't coach to save his life and makes it on the pure talent of his players alone?

3/28/2017 1:20 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So much for not getting in to a dick measuring contest
7/2/2017 10:55 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by pkoopman on 3/27/2017 12:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/26/2017 11:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 3/25/2017 5:29:00 PM (view original):
Do the letters equate to the same numbers as the letters in recruiting? If so, why don't they just use numbers? If not, what do the potentials equate to in letter gain?
Bump because I still want to know this ^
I'm not positive I understand your question, but if you're asking if the FT letters correspond to an actual number rating the way letter grades correspond to un-scouted attribute numbers in the scouting process, the answer is ? because scouting grades have different ranges in different attributes. It's not even apples and oranges, it's apples and tangerines, and nectarines, and grapefruit.

Is there an actual attribute number under the grade that is simply obscured? Maybe. If so, I suspect it's not represented as a number because the game developers don't want it to be explicitly known. Most likely, in my thinking (and I could be wrong) it is simply moving on a different scale, like IQ.
There is an actual number that is intentionally hidden by using a letter grade. A long time ago I think Tarek admitted as such.
7/2/2017 11:59 PM
I don't get how anyone can skimp on FT minutes. THEY ARE FREE POINTS. Crucial for turning the tide of any game. As other categories go red, I put those minutes in FT. So my maxed out Junior and Seniors essentially spend most of their practices conditioning and FT shooting haha. Since the FT value is intentionally hidden from the user, its impossible to tell the exact growth unless it increases/decreases a letter grade. I wouldn't use that as an excuse not practice it.
7/3/2017 9:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/2/2017 10:49:00 PM (view original):
This thread is a good example of how well monsterturtl understands HD.
This thread is another example of me asking questions about the finer points of the game in order to be a better coach.

But right, I'm a terrible coach, I've been to a final 4, many elite 8's, countless sweet 16's, and I did it all by luck, I have no understanding whatsoever on this game.
7/3/2017 9:42 AM
Posted by zagsrulez on 7/3/2017 9:31:00 AM (view original):
I don't get how anyone can skimp on FT minutes. THEY ARE FREE POINTS. Crucial for turning the tide of any game. As other categories go red, I put those minutes in FT. So my maxed out Junior and Seniors essentially spend most of their practices conditioning and FT shooting haha. Since the FT value is intentionally hidden from the user, its impossible to tell the exact growth unless it increases/decreases a letter grade. I wouldn't use that as an excuse not practice it.
I now spend at least 7 minutes on FT, more if I have the space, when my other ratings go red then I dump on FT in order to boost it, the problem is sometimes my guys don't max out on other things fast enough.
7/3/2017 9:45 AM
Seeing this thread makes me want to pay more attention to FT rating while recruiting. To this point I've just used it as a tiebreaker when choosing between two recruits, but I've lost too many damn games because my team shot 50-60% while the other team shot 70-80%.
7/3/2017 10:59 AM
I skimp on FT's all the time for guys with low or no distro.

I mean, it's all situational, but I am not putting 7 minutes into a player who I am projecting to take less than 80 shots per season if he has 4 other greens or something similar.
7/3/2017 11:08 AM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 7/3/2017 11:08:00 AM (view original):
I skimp on FT's all the time for guys with low or no distro.

I mean, it's all situational, but I am not putting 7 minutes into a player who I am projecting to take less than 80 shots per season if he has 4 other greens or something similar.
Yup.
7/3/2017 11:11 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.