Start him at 1b?!? Topic

How stupid/f***ed am I if I start a guy with 7 range and 23 glove at 1st base just vs LHP. 10-15 minus plays? Reason is I need a bit of pop in the middle of my line up, I play at -4,-4,-4,-4,-4 field, focused on pitching and defense, and he offers me 95 batting eye, 83 power, 73 contact and 70 vLH. Otherwise hes just in my DH spot.

3/26/2017 2:48 AM (edited)
Bumped "The Rightfielder" thread for you.

I use Levi Baez in RF on my Portland team. He's practically the only player on that team who ever puts up minus plays, but he's easily my OPS leader.

In short, the whole idea of DH / C in RF is that even a good RF averages only 1.5 chances per game or so, whereas a 1B gets 10 or more. Also, you can offset the minus plays if the player has a better arm than my guy. Yours has a substandard arm, too, but RF is the place to hide him.

3/26/2017 8:49 AM
Let him catch (or play DH). If neither, then RF over 1B.
3/26/2017 10:57 AM
I'd have him catch Vs lefties. Then make your platoon / backup catcher be a defensive stud. (80+ for arm, accuracy and pitch count) with the defensive park he won't cost you much behind the plate.

edit- Also damag, I'm so confused by Baez. Yesac got him in the 16th round, didn't sign him and he became a free agent?

For my SD team (park is -3,-3,3,-3,-3) I have

https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerRatings.aspx?pid=5817675

platooning behind the plate (only reason he isn't the every day starter is his durability) and it works out fine. In a pitchers park, your catcher can get into little trouble. Just keep an eye if you make the playoffs on speedy teams. They will run you right into the ground. Hence the defensive C.
3/26/2017 12:17 PM (edited)
Thanks for Advice guys!
3/26/2017 12:50 PM
@hockey1984 - yeah, Baez must have been one of those late rounders whose projections didn't look good and was never offered a contract. I found him in the minor league free agents the next season (after he finished college, I guess.)

3/26/2017 1:01 PM
Deciding to run him at C, if they start running all over me, I will swap him out for RF.
3/26/2017 1:47 PM
@damag- geez. I gotta start paying attention to more minor league contracts.

@jaydubz - welcome to the next level of playing HBD. Scout your opponents. Big base stealers, put him at RF. they don't run much, put him at C.
3/26/2017 3:53 PM
@hockey, ya still very new to HBD, always got to scout ahead, I think my plan is to play him at C when teams I face are below average in SB and attempts and play him at RF when people are above average. See where that gets me.
3/26/2017 4:17 PM
Thanks again for all the tips, still trying to learn everything, really trying to play a good pitching, great defense, speed combo at my -4,-4,-4,-4,-4 park, trying to play into it as much as I can and steal as many games as I can. Hoping to finish above 85 wins. Just got to keep checking forums for tips and advice.
3/26/2017 4:18 PM
Just saw this thread talk about Baez and thought id throw this in there as well: https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerTransactions.aspx?pid=8432132
4/12/2017 5:25 PM
Posted by damag on 3/26/2017 1:01:00 PM (view original):
@hockey1984 - yeah, Baez must have been one of those late rounders whose projections didn't look good and was never offered a contract. I found him in the minor league free agents the next season (after he finished college, I guess.)

Last few seasons I have been signing the $8k MiL FA draftees from the previous season. I seem to recall I got 1-2 DITR out of it
4/12/2017 6:01 PM
Posted by welchwb on 4/12/2017 5:25:00 PM (view original):
Just saw this thread talk about Baez and thought id throw this in there as well: https://www.whatifsports.com/hbd/Pages/Popups/PlayerTransactions.aspx?pid=8432132
Third overall pick didn't sign and showed up the next season? Youneverknow.

4/12/2017 6:44 PM
Start him at 1b?!? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.