Looking for a Great Beer - Please Advise ! Topic

Just not happy with beers I drink ; Miller, Coors, Bud.
Looking for something I can really love. Tried Heinekken(sorry if mispelled) and it's pretty damn good.
Not afraid to spend a few more bucks if it's something I love.
But really open to suggestions and welcoming them.
3/26/2017 8:42 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.

I suggest you sample Americas oldest brewery, Yuengling. Established in 1829 by a German immigrant, they managed to survive every obstacle thrown at them, from the panic of 1829 to prohibition. A small brewery in Pottstown Pennsylvania, they resurged in the 1980's when Dick Yuengling re-introduced an old recipe from the original brewery that co-incided with the new found popularity of a somewhat heavier-darker brew. That beer, Yuengling Lager, now accounts for 80% of current sales.

Today I'm enjoying the Premium. Usually I get the traditional lager which is on most taps in the area. I have tried the Black and Tan which is also good and to find so many agreeable labels under one brand is unusual. You will never go back to a traditional advertised beer.
Enjoy your quest and get back to us. I hope it's not too difficult to find in your area. If it is, hopefully there is a more local brew with similar merit.
3/26/2017 1:25 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Bah, to any of these suggestions. Go to BeerAdvocate.com and click the BEER link at the top of the page. Start rating beers and read some of the reviews of beers you like and don't like. Find out what is recommended by guys (or gals, I suppose) who like the same beer you like. For example, if you like Deschutes Black Butte Porter (I hate to agree with BadLuck, but Deschutes is good stuff), check out who else liked it, and find out which other beers they also rate highly.

Warning: some of the raters are freakin' SERIOUS hopheads, talking about mouth feel and caramel notes and esoteric **** like that. If it tastes good to you, drink it (unless it's Natty Light or Coors or pisswater like that). But this is a good way to learn about new craft beers and breweries you might not otherwise know about.
3/27/2017 4:58 PM
no way

just drink more of the cheap sh*t

you will get happy with the taste as the volume increases
3/29/2017 3:13 PM
but if this is a real thing and you are dead set on doing it

every time you go out for dinner or whatever order a IPA. let them pick it

it will be similar but better. most of the time!

then when you find a good one, remember the name
3/29/2017 3:18 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/29/2017 3:19:00 PM (view original):
but if this is a real thing and you are dead set on doing it

every time you go out for dinner or whatever order a IPA. let them pick it

it will be similar but better. most of the time!

then when you find a good one, remember the name
Then you're paying $6-8 per taste, just to see if you'd like it.

Like I said, go to beeradvocate (or some similar beer rating site). Figure out which beers you've tasted and liked, and see which other beers are recommended for you based on your tastes.

For example, if someone says "Such-and-such is a great movie, you should really go see it", my first question is "What other movies do you like?" If their answer is something like Sex and the City 2 or an Adam Sandler film, I take their recommendation with a grain of salt. Same goes for food/drink.
3/29/2017 4:43 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 3/27/2017 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Bah, to any of these suggestions. Go to BeerAdvocate.com and click the BEER link at the top of the page. Start rating beers and read some of the reviews of beers you like and don't like. Find out what is recommended by guys (or gals, I suppose) who like the same beer you like. For example, if you like Deschutes Black Butte Porter (I hate to agree with BadLuck, but Deschutes is good stuff), check out who else liked it, and find out which other beers they also rate highly.

Warning: some of the raters are freakin' SERIOUS hopheads, talking about mouth feel and caramel notes and esoteric **** like that. If it tastes good to you, drink it (unless it's Natty Light or Coors or pisswater like that). But this is a good way to learn about new craft beers and breweries you might not otherwise know about.
How do you see where to find the relative beer that other people like? I like best damn root bear and it has a 3 rating on the site. I only drink on occasions or when something good happens to me.
3/29/2017 11:09 PM
Like I said, you can go to any site... it's not like beeradvocate is paying me...

But if you see a review that mirrors your impression of a given beer (good or bad), you can click on the username and find the other beers they've rated. I've found some good beers just by finding someone who liked a particular beer that I had liked, and looking up their list. It's a great way to find micro-brews or unusual brands in your area that might have something you would normally never have tried.

Or drink Bud or Natty Light or whatever YOU like...
3/30/2017 11:22 AM
Do any of you shitknockers have craft bars near you? Go there, ask for a recommendation on a stout, IPA, whatever you like and they'll give you a taste. Can anyone do anything without getting on the internet or smartphone? Dammit.
3/30/2017 4:41 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 3/30/2017 4:41:00 PM (view original):
Do any of you shitknockers have craft bars near you? Go there, ask for a recommendation on a stout, IPA, whatever you like and they'll give you a taste. Can anyone do anything without getting on the internet or smartphone? Dammit.
Grumpy SOB. There are several near me, and most of them don't mass produce (or at least sell anything smaller than a growler).

If a guy is asking people on the interwebs for advice, I thought it most expedient to give him an interwebby solution.

"Get in your car and find a craft bar or micro-brewery nearby and ask for a sampler" might not get him a beer that he could drink at home at his leisure. If he just wants to try a ****-ton of different types of beer, yeah, it might work. But he's also limited by that particular micro-brew or bar.
3/31/2017 11:24 AM
I'm scared. Alls I wanted was a beer.
4/1/2017 7:49 PM
Looking for a Great Beer - Please Advise ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.