Redshirt to Pro? Topic

Has a player every gone pro right after a redshirt year?
3/26/2017 10:43 PM
I would say no because I don't think FR can go early, just sophs and above
3/27/2017 10:12 AM
A coach in my conference redshirted a senior who is on the Big Board.

Wondered if a player ever went from a redshirt season to being drafted. Could be from any class. Hadn't seen it happen before in my short time at D1.
3/27/2017 10:34 AM
Posted by all2matt on 3/27/2017 10:12:00 AM (view original):
Freshman can definitely leave after 1 season.
3/27/2017 12:32 PM
I haven't heard of a redshirted player going pro before playing a single season, but freshmen can definitely be drafted. It's rare, but it happens.
3/27/2017 1:46 PM
What about if they have played one or more seasons THEN they are redshirted as a Sophmore, Junior, or Senior. Do they go pro or stay on the team?

I haven't paid attention to the Big Board much until the last few seasons.
3/27/2017 9:41 PM (edited)
You would be an idiot to not play a player hoping you get an NBA quality player for another year.
Further, he will likely lose all we if he's not been promised a RS and is that high of quality.
If hes RS as an upperclassman, he will likely transfer if he's that good.

Does this help, or is this a real possibility not just theoretical. Truth- a handful of player leave after their freshman season. Truth 2- that good of a player should never sit your bench, I don't care how good you are.
3/28/2017 9:00 AM
I guess I'm an idiot then. I took over a SIM mid-major team and I'm currently rebuilding it. Last season this player was a quality player on a team filled with crappy SIM players and young guys that I just recruited. The thought here was to redshirt him to have a better overall team next season instead of just a decent team with one good player. He accepted the redshirt so he didn't lose any WE. I didn't expect him to be a high recruit on the draft board so I didn't consider this scenario when I chose to redshirt him
3/28/2017 10:09 AM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 3/27/2017 12:32:00 PM (view original):
Freshman can definitely leave after 1 season.
I stand corrected, every FR I've ever noticed has been "staying" on the big board.

all2matt /waykbordr
3/28/2017 12:04 PM
I had a Freshman go EE at Illinois. Was really frustrating, but also realistic.
3/28/2017 11:50 PM
Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 3/26/2017 10:43:00 PM (view original):
Has a player every gone pro right after a redshirt year?
Harry Giles just went injured to pro with 3.9 ppg at Duke.
3/29/2017 10:00 AM
I've had a frosh go (he was staying and in the 30s until the first day of the CT, at which point he became #1 and on the fence -- and he left). I have also had multiple ineligibles go early, including after the sophomore year. Have not yet seen someone leave for the draft without playing a single game as either an ineligible or a redshirt.
3/29/2017 11:35 AM
I did submit a ticket on this question also. The response I got was: it is possible for the redshirted player to be drafted.

I didn't expect an answer but I also asked what criteria is used to determine who is drafted in the NBA and the response was: player ratings, unfortunately we can't tell you anymore than that.
3/30/2017 1:44 PM
Redshirt to Pro? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.