Another great observation!! Back in the 70's the Run and Shoot Offense was used by many colleges and high schools, using the same principles that you suggest!! A short precise passing game supplemented by inside running which actually would work great with Trips!! Looks like more experimenting is in the future!!
3/29/2017 3:53 PM
here's what i know, and i don't run the veer the flex or the bone

QB completes 60% short and 40% long, give or take

maybe veer QB completes 80%. 90%. 95%. do tell
3/29/2017 3:54 PM
Posted by albright73 on 3/29/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
Another great observation!! Back in the 70's the Run and Shoot Offense was used by many colleges and high schools, using the same principles that you suggest!! A short precise passing game supplemented by inside running which actually would work great with Trips!! Looks like more experimenting is in the future!!
mouse davis
3/29/2017 3:56 PM
Bagchucker, you may be on to something.....however, the question will not be of picks, or even completion percentage...but of yards per pass. Having said that....katzphang88 made some very excellent progress with the "passbone" attack in this engine. He was a leading coach with the all run bone in version 2.0.
3/29/2017 10:11 PM
Posted by albright73 on 3/28/2017 5:00:00 PM (view original):
I would like to begin by saying winning a football game without throwing a forward pass is what I would call "Football Utopia". The Wishbone, Veer and the Flexbone, as run by the Naval Academy are, in my mind the 3 greatest offensive formations ever devised for the college game!! To replicate the Veer I would suggest the "Pro" set and running a 30-70 inside outside ratio and divide the inside run equally with the RB and FB, and the outside run RB 50%, FB 30%, and a QB with strength and elusiveness 20%. I implemented this playbook and ran the ball 80% of the time with great results with one exception. FUMBLES!! It has become obvious that a QB with great cores and form IQ throws far fewer interceptions than RB fumbles. ( Most Sr. redshirt QB's throw zero interceptions compared to an average of .8 fumbles per game.) If I could figure out a way to eliminate the frequency of fumbles the ball would never ever see flight, except for the lateral!!!

Signed,
A Darrell Royal disciple!!

As a side note...Coach Fisher DeBerry of my Alma Mater, THE United States Air Force Academy was the originator of the "Flexbone".
3/29/2017 10:14 PM
i don't actually know anything, i'm just thinking out loud
3/31/2017 1:03 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 3/31/2017 1:03:00 PM (view original):
i don't actually know anything, i'm just thinking out loud
Wait, are you in my head ?
3/31/2017 2:01 PM
As a Badger alumni who attended in the early 90s, please refrain from using the words "Veer Offense" ever again - took years of therapy for those flashbacks to the Don Morton era to go away.
4/3/2017 12:30 PM

He was a leading coach with the all run bone in version 2.0.

Or as I like to call it, "Version 50% Talent, 50% Pure Luck."

That engine was hot garbage. It was the mathematical equivalent of the following formula: 2 + Blue^Durian = RAND(Clandestine)
4/3/2017 2:01 PM
Posted by treyomo on 4/3/2017 12:30:00 PM (view original):
As a Badger alumni who attended in the early 90s, please refrain from using the words "Veer Offense" ever again - took years of therapy for those flashbacks to the Don Morton era to go away.
Badgers.....we don't need no stinking Badgers!
4/3/2017 6:18 PM
◂ Prev 12

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.