I'm sure this has been tried. But has anyone used a WIS version of the Veer?
Fullback up the middle only, RB outside and then QB outside, but maybe should be inside, not sure.
The tackle would have to block in but that is not an option in formations
I know the play is predetermined as to who gets the ball but I like to imagine the QB making a decision

Just seeing what others might be playing with.
3/27/2017 8:59 AM
You have sitemail.
3/27/2017 9:37 AM
That is how I run the wishbone. FB 100% inside, QB RB 100% outside (will change some based on opponent). I could only dream of the QB "pulling it out" and flipping it to RB1/2.

Remember the veer is a 2 RB offense. You could run this out of ND Box or Pro Set if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veer

The issue is going to be how the engine would deal with RB1 running 100% inside. Not sure. Others would probably be able to help out more.

Namaste.
3/27/2017 12:25 PM
Its nice to "think" about a QB actually making a decision...but thats all it is...nice thinking. The "Bone" does not operate like the bone....it just has different players on the field. The engine then gives it a little "bump" (in theory) regarding how well it performs when running the ball and a slight "subtraction" (in theory) when it passes the ball.

Now, having said that....you can create those "pre determined" plays and run them somewhat at "random" to "simulate" a true Veer, or Bone, or Flexbone.

In all honesty, when I first started running the bone over in Heisman, I truly imagined in my head a QB pulling out, moving laterally down the LOS, and tossing the pigskin to a speedy RB turning the corner and moving upfield. I don't do that anymore LOL
3/27/2017 2:21 PM
The original Houston veer offense just had 2 RB's Fullback and RB. And the 4th option was to pull up and throw to WR or TE. That is the way I am going to try. 20% of veer goes passing but to 100% to one receiver. And yes, WIS predetermines it but still a good option for me. The best WR gets the pass, and this gives my other WR a chance to rest because in formation I put in a good blocker at WR2. I keep TE in to block but might do a changeup in short or medium situations. But since we don't know how TE affects blocking, there is a need to experiment

Once I start getting better players, it might work. Right now after 1 season, I still have low formation IQ and lousy OL
3/27/2017 2:40 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 3/27/2017 2:21:00 PM (view original):
Its nice to "think" about a QB actually making a decision...but thats all it is...nice thinking. The "Bone" does not operate like the bone....it just has different players on the field. The engine then gives it a little "bump" (in theory) regarding how well it performs when running the ball and a slight "subtraction" (in theory) when it passes the ball.

Now, having said that....you can create those "pre determined" plays and run them somewhat at "random" to "simulate" a true Veer, or Bone, or Flexbone.

In all honesty, when I first started running the bone over in Heisman, I truly imagined in my head a QB pulling out, moving laterally down the LOS, and tossing the pigskin to a speedy RB turning the corner and moving upfield. I don't do that anymore LOL
[humor coming] Don't make me salivate over the flexbone you evil bastard.
3/28/2017 12:29 PM
I would like to begin by saying winning a football game without throwing a forward pass is what I would call "Football Utopia". The Wishbone, Veer and the Flexbone, as run by the Naval Academy are, in my mind the 3 greatest offensive formations ever devised for the college game!! To replicate the Veer I would suggest the "Pro" set and running a 30-70 inside outside ratio and divide the inside run equally with the RB and FB, and the outside run RB 50%, FB 30%, and a QB with strength and elusiveness 20%. I implemented this playbook and ran the ball 80% of the time with great results with one exception. FUMBLES!! It has become obvious that a QB with great cores and form IQ throws far fewer interceptions than RB fumbles. ( Most Sr. redshirt QB's throw zero interceptions compared to an average of .8 fumbles per game.) If I could figure out a way to eliminate the frequency of fumbles the ball would never ever see flight, except for the lateral!!!

Signed,
A Darrell Royal disciple!!

3/28/2017 5:00 PM
My personal belief is that GI, Tech and Hands for the runner play big part in not fumbling and or who recovers ? I have no data on this ; just gut .
But you are right, there will still be more fumbles than picks if qb is good and has high form iq.
3/29/2017 4:48 AM
Without a doubt...fumbles are the Achilles Heel of the running game in this version of the engine.
3/29/2017 8:03 AM
De LaSalle High School in California runs the "Darkhorse" Veer as well as any team I have ever watched. You can see some footage on youtube!!
3/29/2017 11:20 AM
Tough gig with an all running team. I have tried it at a few levels. More along the lines of a GT, who would throw on 3rd down if needed. As mentioned fumbles can be a problem. Until you have 4 full recruit classes, nothing is easy. Even sims will give you a very hard time. They just seem to stop the run better, especially when you do it over and over. When you get good enough only the very best teams will stop you.

Good luck
3/29/2017 12:38 PM
We are still shooting in the dark on the fumble logic. If I was to make my guess it is a combination of factors to include things like GI/Tech/ (maybe hands/STR?), Form IQ, and the defense. With that in mind.. to me it is still worth it to run and probably more accurately run and pass as needed. I did a little comparison of best QB vs best RB a little while back and I still stand by my best RB over the top QB any day.
3/29/2017 1:55 PM
Posted by dalailama12 on 3/27/2017 12:25:00 PM (view original):
That is how I run the wishbone. FB 100% inside, QB RB 100% outside (will change some based on opponent). I could only dream of the QB "pulling it out" and flipping it to RB1/2.

Remember the veer is a 2 RB offense. You could run this out of ND Box or Pro Set if you want.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veer

The issue is going to be how the engine would deal with RB1 running 100% inside. Not sure. Others would probably be able to help out more.

Namaste.
do you think the pitch could be simulated as a very short pass
3/29/2017 2:05 PM
Great observation bagchucker, I will give that a try. Unfortunately statistically it is still a forward pass!!
3/29/2017 3:02 PM
so then the Q is, what makes a good option QB. maybe passing is important
3/29/2017 3:44 PM
12 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.