2017 Predictions Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 4/3/2017 4:27:00 PM (view original):
I also like Charlie Morton for AL Cy. I think he's going to emerge as the Astros ace this season if he stays healthy. He's throwing the ball easily the best he's ever thrown it this spring.
if you're going to do drugs, you should bring enough for everyone!
4/3/2017 6:55 PM
Have either of you actually watched him pitch this spring, or are you just talking out of your *****?
4/3/2017 7:15 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/3/2017 7:15:00 PM (view original):
Have either of you actually watched him pitch this spring, or are you just talking out of your *****?
I admit I haven't, but based on his career numbers, never having a WHIP under 1.27, only once having an ERA under 3.7, and the fact that no Astros fans were excited about the deal, I say he has no chance at Cy Young contention
4/4/2017 10:43 AM
Ya, I'm not sure what you're smoking either. He's been in the league for 8 years, with a career ERA of 4.54 and a 1.44 WHIP, mostly in the NL Central. You think he's going to suddenly turn into a Cy candidate in the AL?
4/4/2017 11:42 AM
He's been in the league for 8 years trying to replicate Roy Halladay's mechanics as precisely as possible and throwing 91-92. The Astros overhauled his mechanics significantly and he's throwing 96-97. Almost a completely different pitcher right now. Who knows if he stays healthy, though...
4/4/2017 12:49 PM
It wouldn't have been a fun prediction if everybody thought it was obvious, but I'm surprised at how shocking it's been. People have been talking about this.
4/4/2017 12:49 PM
AL East
Red Sox
Blue Jays*
Orioles
Yankees
Rays

AL Central
Indians
Tigers*
Twins
Royals
White Sox

AL West
Astros
Rangers
A's
Mariners
Angels

Tigers over BlueJays for WC, Indians over Tigers, Astros over RedSox, Astros over Indians

NL East
Nationals
Mets*
Phillies
Marlins
Braves

NL Central
Cubs
Pirates
Cardinals
Reds
Brewers

NL West
Giants
Dodgers*
Diamondbacks
Rockies
Padres

Mets over Dodgers in WC, Cubs over Mets, Giants over Nats, Giants over Cubs (homer pick)

Giants over Astros, MadBum throws four CG shutouts and hits 8 HRs in the series.
4/4/2017 1:20 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/4/2017 12:49:00 PM (view original):
It wouldn't have been a fun prediction if everybody thought it was obvious, but I'm surprised at how shocking it's been. People have been talking about this.
There are other better sleeper candidates, like Aaron Sanchez, Kevin Gausman or one of the Indians pitchers not named Kluber.
4/4/2017 3:12 PM
If you consider the reigning league ERA leader a sleeper I think we're digging at different depths in the search for interesting longshots.
4/4/2017 6:33 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/4/2017 6:33:00 PM (view original):
If you consider the reigning league ERA leader a sleeper I think we're digging at different depths in the search for interesting longshots.
Maybe not a longshot, but I haven't seen anyone predicting him to win the Cy. He fits the sleeper category.
4/4/2017 10:57 PM
Fair enough. I think I've heard a total of one talking head predict that he'll win, so you do have a point. One wonders why he isn't getting more buzz, given his combination of youth and success last year. Presumably it has a lot to do with his good not great walk rate and downright pedestrian (by modern standards) K rate.
4/5/2017 3:02 AM
There several pitchers in the AL that have a shot at the Cy this year. Those, any ready noted, Sale, Purcello, Keuchel, King Felix......
4/5/2017 12:53 PM
I'd be shocked if Felix won. He seems to be regressing in his career now.
4/5/2017 12:55 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/3/2017 4:27:00 PM (view original):
I also like Charlie Morton for AL Cy. I think he's going to emerge as the Astros ace this season if he stays healthy. He's throwing the ball easily the best he's ever thrown it this spring.
6 IP 5 hits 2 runs 2 walks 4 strikeouts. Not bad. That Mariners lineup ain't no slouch either. I was at work and sadly missed the game. Didn't get to see Morton's stuff. I'll keep an eye on him now that he has a believer in Dahs. I just know every Astros fan was ****** when McHugh got injured and they moved him up to pitch today
4/6/2017 2:35 AM
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/5/2017 12:55:00 PM (view original):
I'd be shocked if Felix won. He seems to be regressing in his career now.
True but the fact the Seattle's team is better this season, means he could win some games. He can still bring it.

Morton is a guy teams have been asking about when they talk trade with the Astros. They know his potential. Good thing the Astros do too and didn't move him. Last season Porcello surprised, this season it could be Morton.
4/6/2017 7:33 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
2017 Predictions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.