Poll: how to improve HBD? (& Schmidt s30 promo) Topic

Here just for the poll? Scroll down past the ad— Enjoy!

Greetings! Schmidt World is entering season 30 and is looking for new blood and with new ideas and strategies.
Come join one of the most fun, collegial, competitive, drama-free worlds in HBD.

A special incentive for new GMs: enjoy a $5 gift certificate for your first season in Schmidt.

We have 6 franchises available...
Let's start with 3 franchises that are playoff-caliber right away, all with young and still-prime talent. None are crushing powerhouses, just good teams:

AL West, formerly Salt Lake City

NL East, formerly Syracuse

NL East, formerly Boston

There's also a trio of teams available after rebuild efforts. These franchises have been pseudo-tanking for several seasons (but never badly enough to run afoul of our minimum win requirements, so no drama there), and have stockpiled prospects and kept salary commitments low:

NL South, formerly Tampa Bay

AL South, formerly Jacksonville

AL East, formerly Detroit

You can read more about Schmidt below. And now, without further ado, here is your poll question and fun answers... Enjoy!

Q: What changes would you most like to see WIS include in Hardball?

Votes: 14
(Last vote received: 6/30/2020 1:26 PM)
4/2/2017 7:55 PM (edited)
And now some more suggestions that didn't make the list above... (We're limited to 10 options for some reason)

11. Allow owners to transfer their franchises from the AL to NL, and vise versa. Provided you can find a willing owner in the other league to swap positions with, what's the harm? It worked for the Brewers and Astros...

12. Allow GMs to upload custom team logos. How much chaos could it really create, right? Right? Um... actually, that sounds dangerous. Some of you guys out there have some odd and sick senses of humor...

13. Fix the nonsensical formula for determining Gold Glove winners at catcher.

14. How can a 2B's arm strength not matter when turning a DP??? Check the stats; apparently in HBD, it doesn't...

15. Lower the threshold for votes needed to get players into the HOF. After all, this isn't like the real life HOF and we have to make shrines and exhibits for every inductee, and if a world wants to stuff more players in there, what's the harm?

16. Adopt the new ML draft system, because it's simpler than what they used to have. Isn't it? (chirp chirp chirp chirp...)

17. Individual player baserunning settings. Don't give me this garbage that it's too complicated to program that way...

18. ... please offer your suggestion, post below
4/2/2017 6:43 PM (edited)

A little bit about Schmidt...

• Of all HBD worlds, Schmidt might have the deepest roster of skilled owners who have won 1 or several world series titles. This is a very good world for swapping strategies, polishing skills and testing your stuff against quality competition.

• With skilled owners nurturing franchises for long periods, it's not surprising that Schmidt has several excellent dynasties. Still, there is good competitive parity in the world overall. For example, eight different franchises have won a World Series title in the last 15 seasons.

• Inexperienced owners are welcome. Our veteran owners have historically been very generous with advice and coaching, but we also recommend new owners refrain from trades for the first season as they learn the ropes.

• We have a minimum win requirement (MWR) to discourage tanking. Fall below the threshold (120 wins over 2 seasons) and a 5-member committee reviews the case and recommends either dismissal or probation. That 120 win threshold for 2 seasons is generally pretty easy to meet, even if you're trying to exit a few veteran contracts and pursue prospects.

• Highest priorities are good humor and minimal drama.

• Select a franchise, kiss the ring (inside joke), and get ready to enjoy simulated baseball in (arguably) the most collegial, fun, and talented community of owners in Hardball.

We look forward to hearing from you! You may post below or sitemail the commish (me, zzookeepp).

4/2/2017 7:59 PM (edited)
On the min win front the game could go to the lottery like the NBA uses which works pretty well on that front. The game could also allow larger adjustments on the budgets which would help new owners craft the budget much faster to their liking.
4/4/2017 6:29 AM
Agree with rmancil about the NBA lottery type draft order. Probably won't ever see it in here, but would definitely eliminate SOME tanking.

Also, Spring Training has always been a huge issue for me. The off-season is a lot of fun and you're excited to start but.... there's a week of legitimately meaningless games. I know if they cut that out, the "value" of 2 months of HBD is cut down to 7 weeks of HBD, but it truly is meaningless. Must do SOMETHING about Spring Training. I remember being a new owner years ago and being like wtf is this? I can't imagine being in my young 20's right now, signing up for HBD and staying entertained throughout the week long snooze fest of ST.

Anyways, JOIN SCHMIDT! Great world!
4/5/2017 3:45 PM
Poll: how to improve HBD? (& Schmidt s30 promo) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.