Gauging Interest in Joining 1969/1999 Expansion Topic

Hey - we are P.O.R.K. - Progressive Optional Rookie Keeper league. We started in 1963/1993 - idea was owners would "draft" a team (from one of those seasons) snake style, then in the second round "draft" a team from the other season. All players from the 1963 and 1993 seasons were viewed as "Rookies" for their team. Owners had to make a 25 man roster out of these players.

The next season all owners had the Option to Keep any Rookie for their squad the next season. This included players on IR the prior year who came back. Owners must have kept a minimum 25 Players between the Rookies they chose to keep, and any players from the previous year who progressed. There was then a free agent draft among all rookies who weren't kept, all rookies from teams not included from 1999 (we are a 20 team league, so rookies from the 1990's California, Cincinnati, Colorado, Detroit, Florida, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, St. Louis teams would always be available). We are now entering the 1967/1997 season. Every season we have the "Option" to "Keep" our "Rookies" and seasons advance on a "Progressive" basis. This is followed by the free agency draft.

In 1969 four teams join MLB: Seattle/Milwaukee, Kansas City, Montreal, and San Diego. There are also ten teams in 1999 that are not "owned" in our league: Anaheim, Arizona, Cincinnati, Colorado, Detroit, Florida, Milwaukee, Pittsuburgh, St. Louis and Tampa. We are currently a 20 team league, and this would move us to a 24 team league.

I am gauging interest to see if four owners would be interested in joining our league for the 1969/1999 season. The four owners would be treated as did everyone else when they joined the league: All players on the 1969 and 1999 season rosters would be available to those owners - caveat being that their first game that season had to have been played for that team as per baseball-reference.com. eg. Ferguson Jenkins at one point was a "Rookie" for Philadelphia Phillies, so that owner made him a keeper (not the Cubs). You would be expected to craft together a 25 man squad from your two teams. The other caveat is that all current owners would be allowed to "Protect" two players from their 25 man squads who might be on the rosters for your two teams. So I would expect Barry Larkin to not be available for the 1999 Reds. However, many good players would be available.

Owners who express interest would be able to "Draft" their first team on a first come, first served basis: so you could choose one of the four 1969 teams, or one of the ten 1999 teams. In the second "Round" of the team "draft" you must choose a team from the other season, but in reverse order. Your stadium must be from one of the teams you chose and that season.

After you craft your 25 man roster, you could join the free agent draft along with the other 20 owners, and a lottery would determine which of these teams would draft 1-4 to start the 1969/1999 Free Agency draft, which is max 5 rounds.

So who is interested? I am happy to forward the league rules if you would like. Note that only AL has DH, so please indicate if you want NL or AL if you are interested (but once two owners take AL or NL, then the remaining owner/s are in the remaining league).

Also note, this is quite a veteran league, but there are a few newbies too.

Please post if you would like to join.
4/2/2017 6:54 PM (edited)
Note - one reason I am checking two season's in advance is I first want to know if there is any interest to let the current owners plan accordingly. If there is no interest, then that's the way it goes!
4/2/2017 6:52 PM
the league has not said they want to expand when it was put to vote. expansion could not get majority.
4/2/2017 8:48 PM (edited)
Posted by rbrch on 4/2/2017 8:48:00 PM (view original):
the league has not said they want to expand when it was put to vote. expansion could not get majority.
Thanks for the comments -- this is just to gauge interest. These teams will not be good for several years. I am not sure owners would want that challenge, but some would. Lets just see.

Cheers, LJ
4/2/2017 9:01 PM
I guess there was not enough interest. But silence also speaks! I guess we are not expanding!
5/23/2017 1:29 PM
Gauging Interest in Joining 1969/1999 Expansion Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.