The Cheater's Club? Topic

What if I am in D3 and want to exploit a weak Oregon state with my D3? But it happens my team is UCLA?
4/7/2017 2:03 PM
Not trying to be a dick but I'll need you to rephrase that question. I'm really not understanding.

You have a D3 team where? You want to recruit Oregon? You have a D1 at UCLA?
4/7/2017 2:09 PM
Fwiw I didn't understand the question either.
4/7/2017 2:12 PM
Thanks. I read it several times and couldn't make sense of it.
4/7/2017 2:12 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/7/2017 1:53:00 PM (view original):
How does it work? You scout players locally with two teams and then recruit across the country without scouting past L1.
And they already knew that.
4/7/2017 2:32 PM
Sorry.

Ok, I have a New York D3. I see Oregon as a weak state, no real D1 competitions etc. I decide to scout it, but it happens my team in D1, 1000 miles apart and more, is UCLA. It is a sure thing UCLA will scout Oregon also.

I think there will always be situations where you have the same interest about the same state and it will be again an ethical decision that could be negative for your D3 team.
4/7/2017 2:36 PM
Yes, that's exactly the problem. I would see that OR guy sign with your D3 NY and immediately assume you scouted him to L4 with D1 UCLA. You may not have but, per the current FPG, you really didn't violate any rules either way. But you damn sure gained a competitive advantage.
4/7/2017 2:40 PM
Here's a radical idea guys.

What if you could only scout and recruit your own division? So my D3 team can only sign D3 rated players but my D1 team isn't able to even scout D3 players. Only way now to cheat is to have two teams at the same level. Which you could just outright ban.

You could have a D1 and a D3 team in NY with this way too. No need to worry about 1000 mile rule.
4/7/2017 2:52 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/7/2017 2:52:00 PM (view original):

What if you could only scout and recruit your own division? So my D3 team can only sign D3 rated players but my D1 team isn't able to even scout D3 players. Only way now to cheat is to have two teams at the same level. Which you could just outright ban.

You could have a D1 and a D3 team in NY with this way too. No need to worry about 1000 mile rule.
I was all for it before Benis, still am for it... I am growing frustrated to see Florida DII team look like D1 middle teams and run away with D2 hardware.
4/7/2017 2:59 PM

So I take a D3 school in SC and CA.

How does your suggestion solve that?
4/7/2017 3:07 PM
BTW, I'm joining as MikeT23 and poiuyt. Or some other alias I create.
4/7/2017 3:18 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/7/2017 3:07:00 PM (view original):

So I take a D3 school in SC and CA.

How does your suggestion solve that?
I'd say you ban 2 teams in the same world at the same level.

so if you can have 3 teams in a world. One at each level, go nuts.
4/7/2017 3:35 PM
Okay, didn't read the whole thread, but why not turn recruiting on its head completely?

Instead of schools going out and contacting specific players, have the schools allocate points to generate interest in states/regions in scouting. Players in those regions, based on the amount of point allocations, preferences (which are now unknown to the schools, but still generated), anticipated player level, etc. "contact" the school by showing up in the recruit pool. Those are now the only kids you get to contact to recruit...so there's no assurance School A can get the same player that School B does, perhaps even with the same scouting allocations. In my mind, I could see it to a degree like GD's "vision" where schools can only "see" certain players, but this way I can control it to a degree so I can target "vulnerable" regions...I can "create" my pipeline to Louisiana or something if I think it's a fertile region due to the population of my world, etc.

I know it won't appeal to everyone, but if the concern is getting an unfair advantage, the only way to realistically solve the issue is to introduce partial/total randomness into who can see what when it comes to a recruiting player pool and/or provide everyone the same level of information so that corners can't be cut and dollars saved.
4/7/2017 3:39 PM
The simple solution is to take away teams on anyone caught cheating. Remove the 1000 mile rule. "Odd coincidences" will be reported and investigated. No hiding behind "1000 miles apart, no rule broken" bullshit.

But, anyway, the end result is they will review internally.

yay
4/7/2017 3:43 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/7/2017 3:43:00 PM (view original):
The simple solution is to take away teams on anyone caught cheating. Remove the 1000 mile rule. "Odd coincidences" will be reported and investigated. No hiding behind "1000 miles apart, no rule broken" bullshit.

But, anyway, the end result is they will review internally.

yay
agreed - 1000 mile rule no longer makes sense

WIS should design the game and operate it to protect its integrity - wont be foolproof - but that should be the rule.
4/7/2017 11:23 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8 Next ▸
The Cheater's Club? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.