The Cheater's Club? Topic

I don't really worry about people cheating that much. If it's obvious I think it should be reported. But you can still beat people who cheat, because it's possible to put together great teams without cheating. I can't really understand why someone would want to cheat, because if you win you would have that doubt in your mind that you had to cheat to win, and that's not a great feeling. I'd say just report to WIS if you feel someone is cheating instead of causing a huge amount of dissension on the forums by calling people out that may or may not be cheating. The game is much more enjoyable without all of that.There is really no way to totally stop it. I honestly don't think it is a big problem anyway. Not big enough to warrant all of this.
4/8/2017 12:26 AM
Cheating should be considered a problem. Doesn't matter if you can still beat them. It's cheating. The reason for "all this" was because I felt there was/is a lackadaisical attitude towards cheating. I'd like to see it eliminated if possible or, at the very least, not tolerated by the masses.
4/8/2017 2:01 AM
Posted by chapelhillne on 4/8/2017 12:26:00 AM (view original):
I don't really worry about people cheating that much. If it's obvious I think it should be reported. But you can still beat people who cheat, because it's possible to put together great teams without cheating. I can't really understand why someone would want to cheat, because if you win you would have that doubt in your mind that you had to cheat to win, and that's not a great feeling. I'd say just report to WIS if you feel someone is cheating instead of causing a huge amount of dissension on the forums by calling people out that may or may not be cheating. The game is much more enjoyable without all of that.There is really no way to totally stop it. I honestly don't think it is a big problem anyway. Not big enough to warrant all of this.
Well said
4/8/2017 11:08 AM
OK expert on everything Mike. How would you eliminate it?
4/8/2017 11:21 AM
Posted by Benis on 4/8/2017 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Posted by chapelhillne on 4/8/2017 12:26:00 AM (view original):
Well said
Not really. Just another example of a laissez-faire attitude towards cheating.
4/8/2017 12:29 PM
Posted by mullycj on 4/8/2017 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Not sure add nothing to anything mully.

For WifS to do it, I expect a massive program change that would note IP addresses and credit card purchases. They're not going to do it. At least I don't think they will.

The first thing that needs to be done is policy change. The "1000 mile" rule is obsolete. Do away with it. No one can have two teams in the same world. I don't like that, if someone wants 13-15 teams, I'd like them to have them, but that the first thing that has to be done. Since I'm not counting on WifS to do much, if anything, it comes down to the users to police ourselves. And that requires an attitude change. I'm not sure that happens when respected owners like chapel say "It's not that big a deal. You can still beat them" or others pipe in with "No FPG were broken" and the like. No one seemed to like seble saying "Cheaters are gonna cheat" but that seems to be the prevailing attitude. THAT has to change for anything to happen.

Which, of course, is why I started this thread. When I laid it out, it was "Oh, we wouldn't tolerate that" yet, in practice, it's "Not a big deal."
4/8/2017 12:37 PM
To put it another way, I presented what I thought might be a "gray area" to several users(some I get along well with, some I don't, some somewhere in between). It was:

A successful D3 school was on a player that I wanted for my D2. Looking at my resources, he might have thought he had a chance to hold me off. Knowing my plans for the 2nd session, he had no chance. So I asked this group of users if telling the guy what I intended to do was against the rules, I hated knowing he was wasting resources, and the response was a resounding "Yes, it's collusion". The logic may have been a little different but every one of them said "No, you do not tell competing schools."

I don't understand how using one school to scout of another school via alias is any different. To me, that's an obvious form of cheating. Yet it seems to much more acceptable than me telling a D3 coach, one I am not competing against "on the court", that I am getting a recruit and he can't do anything about it.
4/8/2017 12:54 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/8/2017 12:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mullycj on 4/8/2017 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Not sure add nothing to anything mully.

For WifS to do it, I expect a massive program change that would note IP addresses and credit card purchases. They're not going to do it. At least I don't think they will.

The first thing that needs to be done is policy change. The "1000 mile" rule is obsolete. Do away with it. No one can have two teams in the same world. I don't like that, if someone wants 13-15 teams, I'd like them to have them, but that the first thing that has to be done. Since I'm not counting on WifS to do much, if anything, it comes down to the users to police ourselves. And that requires an attitude change. I'm not sure that happens when respected owners like chapel say "It's not that big a deal. You can still beat them" or others pipe in with "No FPG were broken" and the like. No one seemed to like seble saying "Cheaters are gonna cheat" but that seems to be the prevailing attitude. THAT has to change for anything to happen.

Which, of course, is why I started this thread. When I laid it out, it was "Oh, we wouldn't tolerate that" yet, in practice, it's "Not a big deal."
So...family members? No one from the same family allowed to play under your suggestion? Part of cheaters gonna cheat is its impossible to enforce.
4/8/2017 4:35 PM
So your suggestion is "just accept it"? Good call!!!!!

But, to be honest, that's not surprising. It's pretty much the mindset in HD.
4/8/2017 6:14 PM
People have been complaining for the past year about the changes to HD. Those people complaining are told to accept it or GTFO.
4/8/2017 6:20 PM
So, IOW, the way the game is set up and cheating are pretty much the same thing?

That is, plainly said, mor-*******-ronic.

You get dumber by the day. Are you Algernon?
4/8/2017 7:16 PM (edited)
I already sent in a ticket and asked them to set it up so that all multiple IDs are linked and it would be easier to catch cheaters. I got a canned response that they will consider it. What else would you like me to do?

You criticize people for complaining about the game and making threads complaining. You say that its pointless. So I'm not sure what you're looking for here. We all agree cheating is bad for the game but there's not much more any of us can do about it. No one is saying cheating is acceptable but unless WIS wants to do something about it we are just talking to ourselves here.
4/8/2017 7:24 PM
No, they said "No FPG were broken" and "No punishment = No violation" and the like. That is saying "Cheating is acceptable."

But, since you're Algernon, you won't understand.
4/8/2017 7:44 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/7/2017 2:52:00 PM (view original):
Here's a radical idea guys.

What if you could only scout and recruit your own division? So my D3 team can only sign D3 rated players but my D1 team isn't able to even scout D3 players. Only way now to cheat is to have two teams at the same level. Which you could just outright ban.

You could have a D1 and a D3 team in NY with this way too. No need to worry about 1000 mile rule.
They can (and should) outright ban having two teams in a world without totally screwing up scouting and recruiting.
4/8/2017 8:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/8/2017 2:01:00 AM (view original):
Cheating should be considered a problem. Doesn't matter if you can still beat them. It's cheating. The reason for "all this" was because I felt there was/is a lackadaisical attitude towards cheating. I'd like to see it eliminated if possible or, at the very least, not tolerated by the masses.
Well said.
4/8/2017 8:47 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
The Cheater's Club? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.