Wilkinson Central 131 Topic

Posted by columbusbuck on 5/15/2017 12:24:00 AM (view original):
Gators06 demonstrates your point perfectly, CJ.
It's not worth it.
Wrong. You shouldn't assume. I volunteered for the committee. If you're going to take shots at me you better damn well have the facts.
5/15/2017 9:06 AM (edited)
Posted by columbusbuck on 5/14/2017 9:23:00 PM (view original):
I like the idea of multiple awards. And I completely agree that the main award should be based on who got the most from their roster. On top of that, I think the degree of difficulty in achieving those results should be considered. Making the second round (or the bowl equivalent) and winning ten games with a roster half filled with Sims would be a COY coaching job, for example.
I have been a proponent of the multiple awards since the committee was formed... the idea was shot down.
5/15/2017 10:45 AM
Guys.

Seriously. Everything we do here is for entertainment. No one here is paid. No one here works for an actual network. And if you win the COTY, you don't receive an actual trophy. It's all for fun and all of the content is provided on a volunteer basis.

If you aren't going to volunteer, fine...I don't expect everyone too. However, please understand that you have no say in the process for COTY, HOF or any other content provided. You can make suggestions or requests, but you have zero leverage for demands or complaints.

Additionally, if you insist on offering a suggestion or making a request, I encourage you to first thank someone who provides the media content. While all of us enjoy doing this, I can tell you without a doubt that it can be tedious and there are days when we just simply do not want to write an article or record a podcast. The amount of work that, chetty, awags, truedevil, jag and many others, put into providing you content is quite incredible. By complaining every time we make a left turn when you want to us to go right, you're just simply discouraging content.

No one here minds criticism, but there is a line.
5/15/2017 10:47 AM
Posted by gators06 on 5/15/2017 9:06:00 AM (view original):
Posted by columbusbuck on 5/15/2017 12:24:00 AM (view original):
Gators06 demonstrates your point perfectly, CJ.
It's not worth it.
Wrong. You shouldn't assume. I volunteered for the committee. If you're going to take shots at me you better damn well have the facts.

Sometimes in life, it's best to ask yourself, "Is this REALLY worth arguing?

This point.
5/15/2017 10:49 AM
Posted by justaguy on 5/15/2017 10:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by columbusbuck on 5/14/2017 9:23:00 PM (view original):
I like the idea of multiple awards. And I completely agree that the main award should be based on who got the most from their roster. On top of that, I think the degree of difficulty in achieving those results should be considered. Making the second round (or the bowl equivalent) and winning ten games with a roster half filled with Sims would be a COY coaching job, for example.
I have been a proponent of the multiple awards since the committee was formed... the idea was shot down.
Oh, well. Better to leave it be if it's going to upset people.
5/15/2017 10:53 AM
It is a subjective decision. From my perspective:

1. It really doesn't matter if you took over a roster or not, if a coach does a good job...you (subjective "you") knows it. For example, Natidawg took over TennTech and took them two the final four two times. I thought that was a good coaching job. Talent only gets you to the dance, you need gameplanning to go home with the promqueen.

2. I am indifferent to multiple awards, but would prefer to keep it simply so that the people that put time into this effort do not get burned out.

3. If you are a coach that is ******** about the process...whatever...form your own committee and do your own awards. All good. More = better. Content is what makes Wilk great.

Good luck.

nitros
5/15/2017 11:31 AM
For the record, I have expressed gratitude and thanks a few times for the bonus material. I AM grateful for it. I guess I didn't think an open discussion about the COY process would be harmful. I am sorry for misjudging that.
5/15/2017 1:10 PM

I guess I didn't think an open discussion about the COY process would be harmful. I am sorry for misjudging that.

My bad columbusbuck, my post was just a general post. Sorry if you thought it was a shot at you. Not intended that way.

nitros

5/15/2017 1:42 PM
Thanks for thinking of me, chetty.

I could definitely help develop a formulaic method for determining the CoY Award, but we'll never be able to remove the subjectivity from it. Any formula we contrive would be scrutinized and modified by human feedback. Going forward, it would become consistent and repeatable (using a formula), but the human element would be "baked-in" from the initial development.

I've tried to get it down to a formula in the past - who did the most with the least - but it always penalized the best teams. It's impossible to do better than a #1 finish, so if you have the #1 talent, there's only one way your "coach effect" can go - DOWN. If you win the NC with the best talent, you just broke even. Currently, I do use a "Coach Effect" value in doing some of my projections - both preseason and postseason projections - but it's based on game scores vs. expected game scores. The "expected" scores are a little dubious, but they're the best I've got at the moment. This metric has the drawback of inflating the Effect of coaches who run up huge scoring totals, even against bad or marginal teams. I don't publish it as a stand-alone metric for that reason, but it could conceivably be used as a component of an overall Coach Scoring paradigm.

If there's any analysis I can provide to the discussion, please don't hesitate to let me know. I can always come up with new metrics at the behest of the committee, as well.
5/15/2017 2:04 PM
I would be down coming up with different awards that are all stat based. This saves a committee of people lots of time and research. This can be fun awards too.
5/15/2017 3:39 PM
Posted by truedevil33 on 5/15/2017 3:39:00 PM (view original):
I would be down coming up with different awards that are all stat based. This saves a committee of people lots of time and research. This can be fun awards too.
I would also be up for including some "fun" awards as TD mentioned. Not too many...2-3 tops.

Those awards dont have to be run by the CoY committee. In fact, its probably better it come from somewhere else, since we have enough on our plate watching three divisions. If someone has the creativity and wants to run with it, go for it!

The more content, the better!

5/15/2017 10:55 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10
Wilkinson Central 131 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.