Attn: D3/D2 coaches - Mentorship opportunity Topic

A current D3 coach that is on the fence about moving into D2 or an existing coach, I am willing to offer mentoring to one coach that is struggling at the D2 level or will move up to D3 THIS season.

All applications will be considered but only one will be chosen so make it good. :)

4/8/2017 8:09 PM
I will also do this for a current coach in D2 or D3 Wilkinson only. Some basic experience is a must so we're not starting from total scratch, but if you're a struggling coach that's perfect. New signups start on Sunday in Wilkinson, so if someone wants to get mentoring AND join there, that would be great too!

Sitemail me if you're interested, if multiple people want it I'll pick someone by the time recruiting starts. I would think 2-3 seasons would be enough for mentorship, so there will be plenty of time for multiple mentorships.
4/8/2017 10:13 PM
Count me in as well!
4/9/2017 12:04 AM
Im always available too.
4/9/2017 12:11 AM
I'm looking for all of the help that I can get. New DII coach in Wilkerson.
4/9/2017 12:22 AM
Although I may not have time to mentor someone, I will answer any questions you may have.
4/9/2017 12:30 AM
If it weren't for Ozzball's mentorship I would have left after my second season. More than willing to pay it forward.
4/10/2017 1:02 AM
The new guys may not read the forums. The conference chats may be a good place to get exposure.
4/10/2017 5:37 AM
With awags on this one. I'll answer any question I can if someone wants to SM me.
4/10/2017 2:30 PM
I think this sort of mentoring is important. I agree with badaxe. I don't think new guys read the forums that much.

I quit Wilkinson and Rockne both at the same time when Wilkinson was in Season 30. I was in D2 in both worlds. I was playing a lot of Hardball Dynasty and I left GD thinking it lacked the strategy that I enjoyed in HBD. I never talked to another coach in GD. I never read the forums. I just quit playing GD and didn't miss it when I quit.

I started thinking about playing GD again because several HBD owners told me over the years that GD is a better game compared to HBD. I came back to GD after a 65 season break. I came back in season 95 and bought a 10 season package. I told myself I would play out the 10 seasons and see where it took me. If I would have bought less than 10 seasons I probably would have quit again. I didn't start enjoying it until I was 6-7 seasons into my 10 pack. But then everything clicked, I saw the game had everything I loved about HBD and more. Now I am an addict of GD and have quit HBD.

I think about what less experienced D3 and D2 coaches face today - I faced these challenges and quit. Go look at the preseason Press Rankings for D3 and click the coach profile of the top 5 teams. Then ask yourself how a guy fairly new to GD can enjoy his first few seasons. He isn't going to win a playoff game. He isn't going to win a CC.

Here are the resumes of the coach ranked in the top 5 in D3 Press ratings for the preseason
#1 has 63 seasons experience, 45 CCs and 18 NCs.
#2 has 51 seasons experience and 30 CCs.
#3 has 36 seasons experience with 22 CCs and 2 NCs.
#4 has 97 seasons with 74 CCs and 1 NC
#5 has 107 seasons with 98 CCs and 4 NCs

The average of the top 5 coaches in D3 Press Rankings:
70.8 seasons experience, 44.8 CCs and 1.4 NCs

Wanna know what my Wilkinson resume is?
42 seasons experience, 4 CCs, and 1 NC.

You can add my resume in Bryant, Rockne, Leahy, and Dobie and these 5 still average more experience and success.

The reigning champ of Wilkinson D1A that has ran a D1A elite for 23 seasons can't match resumes with the average of the top 5 D3 coaches. That is a huge hurdle for a new coach looking for a fun time playing in D3.

I wish there was a way that I could tell coaches that aren't enjoying their D3 or D2 experience that it is worth it to stick with the game.

4/10/2017 5:21 PM
Some of you guys need to mentor me. Things I still can't figure out:

1. Directional pass (make it go left or right at a set distance). I am close on this one.
2. I still have no understanding of fumbles. I think they are random.
3. Blitzing. I understand middle to deep passing games can be impacted by looking at completion percentages. Not sure it works at all for any other offensive attack.
4. Just what causes that "wide open"receiver to be wide open? If I am playing base defense with 2 LB in coverage and the engine plays zone...how is this possible other than a random roll of "missed coverage". I am looking at you OP on this one.
5. If the computer formula compares LB to RB/TE in certain passing zones...why would I ever run more than the minimum LB in coverage (ideally placing my top notch cover LB in coverage so his stats alone are in the formula)? It would seem that the 5-2 defense should be much, much more popular.

I am a pretty able student if any of you can help on these questions.

Thanks!

nitros
4/10/2017 5:46 PM
Posted by nitros on 4/10/2017 5:46:00 PM (view original):
Some of you guys need to mentor me. Things I still can't figure out:

1. Directional pass (make it go left or right at a set distance). I am close on this one.
2. I still have no understanding of fumbles. I think they are random.
3. Blitzing. I understand middle to deep passing games can be impacted by looking at completion percentages. Not sure it works at all for any other offensive attack.
4. Just what causes that "wide open"receiver to be wide open? If I am playing base defense with 2 LB in coverage and the engine plays zone...how is this possible other than a random roll of "missed coverage". I am looking at you OP on this one.
5. If the computer formula compares LB to RB/TE in certain passing zones...why would I ever run more than the minimum LB in coverage (ideally placing my top notch cover LB in coverage so his stats alone are in the formula)? It would seem that the 5-2 defense should be much, much more popular.

I am a pretty able student if any of you can help on these questions.

Thanks!

nitros
Those are all great questions!

i have answers for all 5. you want the answers site mailed?

i'm not sure if what i think i know is common knowledge.....lol

1- i don't see any advantage in my game planning. i can get match ups i desire through formation alignment. is that what you are looking for?
2- i don't think they are random. i look for specific things for fumbles.
3- i understand all benefits of blitzing. It is in my name!
4- i think i understand the dynamics for a wide open receiver with various defensive settings.
5- i definitely have the answer to that. i will never run a 5-2 because if it.

Sitemail me if nobody else shares "the right" answer and i will help you out....lol
4/10/2017 6:11 PM
I would love to know your opinion on fumbles. The only thing I've been able to tie them to is realistic averages... and I did pretty well with a 5-2
4/10/2017 7:12 PM
Posted by babcick on 4/10/2017 1:02:00 AM (view original):
If it weren't for Ozzball's mentorship I would have left after my second season. More than willing to pay it forward.
Same here for me! Jimmy is a great one to learn from
4/10/2017 7:55 PM
I'm up to help mentoring new players. I always try to answer questions as best I can.
4/10/2017 8:10 PM
12 Next ▸
Attn: D3/D2 coaches - Mentorship opportunity Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.