My goal in Phelan is to get up to D1 and take on a low level rebuild. Just looking for some input from those who have climbed the ladder to D1 already. I'm about to finish my 6th season (5 D3 and 1 D2).

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=862408&wid=10

What are my chances of being qualified for some low D1 teams after this season?
Would it be smarter to hang around at D2 for another 1-2 seasons before moving up?
If I do jump to D1, any suggestions on picking a team for a rebuild?
4/8/2017 10:46 PM
You need two or two three more postseasons. Once you are qualified, take the highest base prestige or the team in the emptiest state or a team in a no so contested conference.
4/9/2017 1:18 AM
I know it took me a lot longer than I thought when I started attempting to get to DI. You need at least 4+ postseason berths. That is a minimum and 3 in a row I think. At least that is what it took for me. When I say postseason it has to be the NT and not the PI.
4/9/2017 9:06 AM
Don't take the first D1 team you get qualified for (usually there's a season where you are qualified for all the D- teams) , wait a season or 2 and you will be able to get like C prestige teams, and if you want to, wait a couple more seasons and you can get crappy power 5 conference schools (I think that is the fastest way to get to power 5 schools, by going from D2)
4/9/2017 9:27 AM
Thanks for the input guys. Good advice on not jumping at the first D1 opportunity, even if I can get some D- shots this offseason. I know this game takes patience, and six seasons isn't much of a sample, but I'm hoping a couple NT wins in recent years will help build my resume a bit. I'm not in a hurry to get to a Big 6 team, just would rather spend time rebuilding at low D1 than hanging around D2.
4/9/2017 12:56 PM
I also found some interesting discussions on the hiring process while researching this. I dug up this Dev Chat from 10 years ago! Any idea how much if any of this is still relevant?

https://www.wisjournal.com/devchat/devchat.asp?chatid=55

It has some interesting comments on weighting your success profile based on how many of the players you recruited on your teams (vs. taking over a team with good players recruited by other coaches), and also the way PIT success is weighted against NT success. This is interesting to me since I have a recent PI Championship, although I figured it didn't really count for much more than an NT appearance.
4/9/2017 2:03 PM (edited)
i was at my D2 for 4 years and went to a PI and 2 NT's. had about 10 D- jobs i could have taken and even though i strongly considered it, i came back for one last year. figured another NT appearance will open the door to more desirable jobs.
4/9/2017 4:18 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 4/9/2017 4:18:00 PM (view original):
i was at my D2 for 4 years and went to a PI and 2 NT's. had about 10 D- jobs i could have taken and even though i strongly considered it, i came back for one last year. figured another NT appearance will open the door to more desirable jobs.
Congrats on taking over Mount St. Mary's and getting up to D1. Just curious, what kind of jobs did you qualify for this time around in Knight?

I'm thinking about making the move up after this season in Phelan and have a pretty similar resume. Hoping to get an idea of what D1 schools I may have available.
5/8/2017 7:21 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 4/9/2017 9:27:00 AM (view original):
Don't take the first D1 team you get qualified for (usually there's a season where you are qualified for all the D- teams) , wait a season or 2 and you will be able to get like C prestige teams, and if you want to, wait a couple more seasons and you can get crappy power 5 conference schools (I think that is the fastest way to get to power 5 schools, by going from D2)
Definitely the fastest route to a Big 6 job, but good luck having success at a struggling low level B6 school. I think the best option is to wait until you're qualified for a CUSA, A10, MWC team and lead the game at that level. I'm sure people have been successful jumping right from DII to a lowly Big 6 job, but the odds are not good.
5/8/2017 8:53 PM
I was pretty surprised to see that I don't qualify for any D1 jobs in Phelan this time around. The agent advice for all of the D2 openings says I should be looking for a D1 job, but all of the D1 openings say not qualified.

I know my resume is still pretty thin, but I would think 7 seasons with 140+ wins, 3 NT appearances in a row, and 1 PI championship would at least qualify me for the lowest D- jobs in D1.
5/13/2017 11:02 AM
It's about to open, I would say one more season. D2 exp is important.
5/13/2017 11:08 AM
In Tark, I went from d2 to Florida. They had sim-coached their way down to a C prestige.

gberry went from d2 to UConn, A prestige.

Resumes need to be very strong though.

i realize you are talking about faster ways to get there though.
5/13/2017 11:47 AM (edited)
Slayterhill, the best spots are teams out west. The Big Sky conference is great. The perfect thing is what I got, a relatively isolated spot with some humans a year or two behind me that help my RPI.
5/13/2017 12:00 PM
Posted by zorzii on 5/13/2017 11:08:00 AM (view original):
It's about to open, I would say one more season. D2 exp is important.
Thanks zorzii. I wondered if it would hurt that most of my experience is at D3. My D2 team is definitely gonna take a dip this year with 5 incoming freshman, but hopefully I can rack up a few more wins.
5/13/2017 10:09 PM
Posted by jaxorbetter on 5/13/2017 11:47:00 AM (view original):
In Tark, I went from d2 to Florida. They had sim-coached their way down to a C prestige.

gberry went from d2 to UConn, A prestige.

Resumes need to be very strong though.

i realize you are talking about faster ways to get there though.
Good to know you can make those kinds of jumps from D2. I would need several more seasons to be able to get a Big 6. But, I don't mind making a couple stops in D1 either, especially if I can put together some successful rebuilds along the way.
5/13/2017 10:12 PM
123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.