Posted by cubcub113 on 5/13/2017 12:00:00 PM (view original):
Slayterhill, the best spots are teams out west. The Big Sky conference is great. The perfect thing is what I got, a relatively isolated spot with some humans a year or two behind me that help my RPI.
Not gonna lie Cub, I'm jealous of that Weber St squad. I bet you'll have some nice D1 jobs available after you get them into the NT a couple times.
5/13/2017 10:14 PM
Another jobs period coming up in Phelan. Any wagers on what if any D1 jobs I'll qualify for this time around?
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=862408&wid=10

Not sure I want to move this time because my D2 team should be Top 25 next season, but I'm really curious about the job logic and the resume you need to get to D1.
6/8/2017 3:20 PM
You are getting less than 6 offers where you qualified, that's my guess.
6/8/2017 3:34 PM
Just for reference here is my coaching profile: http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=851373&wid=4

After 6 seasons (two in D3 and four in D2) I received quite a few D1 job offers, including one with C- prestige in a power 6 conference.
6/8/2017 8:28 PM
Posted by zorzii on 6/8/2017 3:34:00 PM (view original):
You are getting less than 6 offers where you qualified, that's my guess.
Sounds about right Zorzii. You haven't been wrong on the subject so far. I'll let you know how close you were in a couple days.

Good to temper the expectations. Not expecting to make a jump if it's only a few crappy D- teams.
6/8/2017 9:10 PM
Posted by Derek_Koenig on 6/8/2017 8:28:00 PM (view original):
Just for reference here is my coaching profile: http://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=851373&wid=4

After 6 seasons (two in D3 and four in D2) I received quite a few D1 job offers, including one with C- prestige in a power 6 conference.
Thanks Derek. Good to have a benchmark resume for comparison.

You're really consistent when it comes to the NT. Congrats on the Final Four too. I'm sure that didn't hurt your list of D1 offers!
6/8/2017 9:24 PM
Seems like you should be able to jump to D1 easily now. Once you get there, it is not hard to advance.
6/8/2017 11:16 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 5/8/2017 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MWalpole on 4/9/2017 4:18:00 PM (view original):
i was at my D2 for 4 years and went to a PI and 2 NT's. had about 10 D- jobs i could have taken and even though i strongly considered it, i came back for one last year. figured another NT appearance will open the door to more desirable jobs.
Congrats on taking over Mount St. Mary's and getting up to D1. Just curious, what kind of jobs did you qualify for this time around in Knight?

I'm thinking about making the move up after this season in Phelan and have a pretty similar resume. Hoping to get an idea of what D1 schools I may have available.
Hey, just saw this now lol. I'm in year 2 at MSM and it's been awesome. The jobsI had available to me when I took this were the D-, D, and a handful of D+ jobs. I took a D job because they had a few solid players returning and already played the style I like (Flex/Zone). If you're taking a team that has some upperclass talent, I definitely recommend grabbing one with your style already set if you want to avoid a struggling transitional year. After year 1 with a 24-6 record and a PI appearance, there were some appealing jobs out there but nothing higher than a D+. I'm hoping to grab a rebuilding Power 6 team in a few years.
6/9/2017 6:31 PM
Posted by MWalpole on 6/9/2017 6:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slayterhill on 5/8/2017 7:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MWalpole on 4/9/2017 4:18:00 PM (view original):
i was at my D2 for 4 years and went to a PI and 2 NT's. had about 10 D- jobs i could have taken and even though i strongly considered it, i came back for one last year. figured another NT appearance will open the door to more desirable jobs.
Congrats on taking over Mount St. Mary's and getting up to D1. Just curious, what kind of jobs did you qualify for this time around in Knight?

I'm thinking about making the move up after this season in Phelan and have a pretty similar resume. Hoping to get an idea of what D1 schools I may have available.
Hey, just saw this now lol. I'm in year 2 at MSM and it's been awesome. The jobsI had available to me when I took this were the D-, D, and a handful of D+ jobs. I took a D job because they had a few solid players returning and already played the style I like (Flex/Zone). If you're taking a team that has some upperclass talent, I definitely recommend grabbing one with your style already set if you want to avoid a struggling transitional year. After year 1 with a 24-6 record and a PI appearance, there were some appealing jobs out there but nothing higher than a D+. I'm hoping to grab a rebuilding Power 6 team in a few years.
Thanks MW. This is really good info. It's nice to hear what others were thinking when they made the jump. I'm leaning towards a total rebuild at low D1 just to see if I'm up for the challenge. Will be interesting to see what's available this time around.
6/10/2017 10:07 AM
Don't be afraid of a d- rebuild l. I've done it quite a few times recently it just requires more patience but you should be able to make the post season by year 4 if you pick a team not in a loaded conference.
6/10/2017 10:53 AM
If you decide to move up in Phelan, consider CUSA. Good group of coaches, and the ability to improve your resume and test out D1 while building a conference back up. We added two long time D2 guys this past season, so, we'd love to have you in.
6/11/2017 11:45 AM
Thanks mistro. I doubt I'll qualify for any CUSA teams this season, but hopefully I can work my way up to that level. There are a few teams in that conference that I would be interested in.
6/11/2017 5:38 PM
Posted by zhawks on 6/10/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Don't be afraid of a d- rebuild l. I've done it quite a few times recently it just requires more patience but you should be able to make the post season by year 4 if you pick a team not in a loaded conference.
I like the idea of a steady rebuild at a D- school, but for me it would have to be one that I have some interest in, either based on the school or location, since I would almost certainly be there for a long run. Just not sure I'm gonna have a lot of appealing options this time around.

Looks like you're turning a corner with your Siena rebuild. That one looks like it was quite a project!
6/11/2017 5:43 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 6/11/2017 5:43:00 PM (view original):
I like the idea of a steady rebuild at a D- school, but for me it would have to be one that I have some interest in, either based on the school or location, since I would almost certainly be there for a long run. Just not sure I'm gonna have a lot of appealing options this time around.

Looks like you're turning a corner with your Siena rebuild. That one looks like it was quite a project!
You'll want to pick one with 6 openings for complete rebuilds... and one in a sparse conference. Recruiting will be difficult and tough but you need to find players that with two or three solid classes can get you over the hump. Scheduling can help get wins that are critical when you're rebuilding.
6/11/2017 9:16 PM
Posted by zhawks on 6/11/2017 9:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slayterhill on 6/11/2017 5:43:00 PM (view original):

You'll want to pick one with 6 openings for complete rebuilds... and one in a sparse conference. Recruiting will be difficult and tough but you need to find players that with two or three solid classes can get you over the hump. Scheduling can help get wins that are critical when you're rebuilding.
I like to avoid those with 6 openings because I want to avoid having to do everything in the second cycle.

I look for a team that has minimal openings when I take it over and 4-6 the following season. That way I have 2 cycles to pull in my recruits to build on.
6/11/2017 9:30 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.