Posted by ftbeaglesfan on 6/11/2017 9:30:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zhawks on 6/11/2017 9:16:00 PM (view original):
Posted by slayterhill on 6/11/2017 5:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zhawks on 6/10/2017 10:53:00 AM (view original):
Don't be afraid of a d- rebuild l. I've done it quite a few times recently it just requires more patience but you should be able to make the post season by year 4 if you pick a team not in a loaded conference.
I like the idea of a steady rebuild at a D- school, but for me it would have to be one that I have some interest in, either based on the school or location, since I would almost certainly be there for a long run. Just not sure I'm gonna have a lot of appealing options this time around.

Looks like you're turning a corner with your Siena rebuild. That one looks like it was quite a project!
You'll want to pick one with 6 openings for complete rebuilds... and one in a sparse conference. Recruiting will be difficult and tough but you need to find players that with two or three solid classes can get you over the hump. Scheduling can help get wins that are critical when you're rebuilding.
I like to avoid those with 6 openings because I want to avoid having to do everything in the second cycle.

I look for a team that has minimal openings when I take it over and 4-6 the following season. That way I have 2 cycles to pull in my recruits to build on.
I mean 6 for my first class. I don't consider second periods as anything when changing jobs.
6/11/2017 10:28 PM
Don't be afraid of a d- rebuild l. I've done it quite a few times recently it just requires more patience but you should be able to make the post season by year 4 if you pick a team not in a loaded conference.
I like the idea of a steady rebuild at a D- school, but for me it would have to be one that I have some interest in, either based on the school or location, since I would almost certainly be there for a long run. Just not sure I'm gonna have a lot of appealing options this time around.

Looks like you're turning a corner with your Siena rebuild. That one looks like it was quite a project!
Sorry I missed the Siena point, yeah finally the corner. It takes a class or two based on rng to find that player that puts you over the top. All of my teams had it... Anthony Daniels at Norfolk, Zachary Smyth at UNI, Sidney Stork at Georgia. Siena hasn't had that guy, granted if you look at the shot distribution it's very much so one of my teams, very similar to the rag at bunch at E. New Mexico I almost won a title with.

Speaking of Stork... Georgia also finally turned the corner. We beat some much more talented teams in the NT too. However, I'll leave there in a second for the right job.
6/11/2017 10:50 PM
Posted by zhawks on 6/11/2017 10:50:00 PM (view original):

Sorry I missed the Siena point, yeah finally the corner. It takes a class or two based on rng to find that player that puts you over the top. All of my teams had it... Anthony Daniels at Norfolk, Zachary Smyth at UNI, Sidney Stork at Georgia. Siena hasn't had that guy, granted if you look at the shot distribution it's very much so one of my teams, very similar to the rag at bunch at E. New Mexico I almost won a title with.

Speaking of Stork... Georgia also finally turned the corner. We beat some much more talented teams in the NT too. However, I'll leave there in a second for the right job.
Nice Z. I've definitely experienced that at the lower levels too. I could point 1 player for most of my D3 schools that was the driving force behind getting the team competitive again. Jury is still out on my Tark D3 team, but I'm trying something different there with back to back super classes, so we'll see how that goes.
6/12/2017 10:41 AM
So just as a reference point for people trying to move up in the future, my resume after Season 106 qualified me for:
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=862408&wid=10

Qualified: 26 D/D- schools
Longshot: 15 D/D- schools
All D+ or better schools were Not Qualified.
6/12/2017 10:45 AM
Hoping to make the jump to D1 next season in Knight. It'd be nice to start out in a B6 conference, even if it's a rebuild. I'm guessing a deep tourney run would help. What kinds of jobs do you guys think I'll be eligible for? I was eligible for almost all D+ jobs this past season.
6/12/2017 10:57 AM
Posted by slayterhill on 6/12/2017 10:41:00 AM (view original):
Posted by zhawks on 6/11/2017 10:50:00 PM (view original):

Nice Z. I've definitely experienced that at the lower levels too. I could point 1 player for most of my D3 schools that was the driving force behind getting the team competitive again. Jury is still out on my Tark D3 team, but I'm trying something different there with back to back super classes, so we'll see how that goes.
Looks like I'll be back at Georgia, need another tourney bid and I should have options.
6/12/2017 12:18 PM
Congrats Slayter, so don't bother checking D- or D, just go for the best location or the best Baseline prestige, which you probably do not qualify for.
6/12/2017 1:01 PM
Thanks Zorzii. I've got my eye on a couple spots, but still torn on whether to jump this year or wait 1 more year at D2. The team I have coming back at D2 will almost certainly be Top 25 and has potential for a Sweet 16 or better run, so could improve my options significantly next year. Of course if I'm just going to rebuild at D1, the sooner the better for getting started. Glad I have all day to figure it out.
6/12/2017 1:55 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 6/12/2017 10:46:00 AM (view original):
So just as a reference point for people trying to move up in the future, my resume after Season 106 qualified me for:
https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/CoachProfile/Default.aspx?uid=862408&wid=10

Qualified: 26 D/D- schools
Longshot: 15 D/D- schools
All D+ or better schools were Not Qualified.
My random recommendation....Long Island. Plays in an empty NEC conference with no human non-conference games already set for next year. Plays motion/M2M (which i see you played M2M at Lane). 4 open scholarships to be able to bring in your own talent in session 2. Returns 5 seniors, with Michael Powell (731 overall, 93 perimeter) as your star, so you can still compete yet have a bunch of open scholarships to really put your mark on the team. That'll give you a team that in 2 years is almost all your own guys. Recruiting in that NYC area will be solid too. Just my opinion!

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/TeamProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=13893
6/12/2017 2:43 PM
Posted by mbriese on 6/12/2017 10:57:00 AM (view original):
Hoping to make the jump to D1 next season in Knight. It'd be nice to start out in a B6 conference, even if it's a rebuild. I'm guessing a deep tourney run would help. What kinds of jobs do you guys think I'll be eligible for? I was eligible for almost all D+ jobs this past season.
I'm certainly no expert on advancing in D1, but I've done a lot of forum reading on the subject lately, ha. I would think given all your NT appearances and the recent S16, you would have some C range mid major opportunities if you have another solid season. My understanding as far as getting a B6 offer from D2 is that you need either extreme NT success (multiple FFs), or a ton of seasons of experience in addition to consistent NTs. Otherwise, you probably need to taking a stepping stone school in D1 before you can get in a top conference.
6/12/2017 10:18 PM
Posted by slayterhill on 6/12/2017 10:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mbriese on 6/12/2017 10:57:00 AM (view original):
I'm certainly no expert on advancing in D1, but I've done a lot of forum reading on the subject lately, ha. I would think given all your NT appearances and the recent S16, you would have some C range mid major opportunities if you have another solid season. My understanding as far as getting a B6 offer from D2 is that you need either extreme NT success (multiple FFs), or a ton of seasons of experience in addition to consistent NTs. Otherwise, you probably need to taking a stepping stone school in D1 before you can get in a top conference.
Ah okay, thanks for the heads up. I had my eye on a D+ B6 school, but I'll set my expectations accordingly now.
6/12/2017 11:30 PM
◂ Prev 123

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.