Scrubs or Scholarship Hogs? Topic

Which is worst?

A) Scrubs signed by your AC that you cut at the end of the season. Negative effects: these players should NEVER see a single snap of the football and they are so bad that their mere presence on the roster negatively affects team play on the field. On the positive side, you can cut them at the end of the season and the hit to your reputation is minor. You are penalized two thirds a grade when you cut three of these guys (a B becomes a C+, which changes to a B- when the season rolls over) and only really hurts when you are looking to move up a division.

B) Mediocre talent, backups, you sign when you lose a battle for the player you really want. On the positive side, they don't stink so bad that they affect your on the field play from the bench. And they provide bare minimum support when you need to rest your starters and prime backups during a game. Negatively, you are stuck with these players for four years if you don't want to take the HUGE hit on your reputation. Cutting three of these guys costs you twice as much as cutting three scrubs. If you have a contender for the national title, you would prefer these guys never see the field as underclassmen and only spot play (10-20% PT a game) as upperclassmen. They will NEVER be starters. Severely affects quality depth, as they hog much needed scholarships.

So, given Sophie's choice, which one would you prefer if you had to take one of these two options? I'm curious what some of the most successful coaches do. Me, I take option A every time.

4/10/2017 9:50 AM
I had some bad guys that I signed one class and ended up cutting them, taking a huge Rep hit. The next season, I had some similar guys I could have taken and elected to take SIMs instead. So yeah, I gotta agree with you. Give me option A.
4/10/2017 10:00 AM
I feel the opposite of you, I always fill all my scholarships even if they are mediocre backups for their full 4 years, I just try and recruit a better player the next season to leap frog them on my depth chart. I would rather have players I signed on my roster then some SIM AI signed player that my AC brought in since I don't like to cut players due to it throwing off my roster breakdown.
4/10/2017 12:07 PM
I always go with Plan B. From my perspective, a good team seldom plays FR/SO so those backups turn into decent players as JR/SR or at least very solid backups. Ideally if you are only taking 1-3 backups each year, then those backups become really nice supplemental pieces during their JR/SR year.

I think the key is the process, if your backups have good potential then they typically end up being pretty solid players later.

nitros
4/10/2017 12:40 PM
I wasn't aware that the rep hit was that different if you cut them after Freshman year. If it's a big difference I would just take the SIM. A lot of times the crappy player you sign is a lot worse than someone you can get really cheap the next year anyway. For example if I sign the #150 DL because I'm out of money, you can always get the #100 DL for like $2,000 the following offseason, and he'll be better anyway.

I had this exact situation happen in Heisman and had to take 3 crap recruits. I was planning on cutting all 3 this offseason, but with a big rep hit I might only get to do 1-2.
4/10/2017 1:07 PM
i think you get the same rep hit if you cut a simai (your asst coach filled your schollies) as you do cutting a player you sign. it's different when you take over a new team and cut players that were already on the team, not as big of a hit in this case.

i should know this because i cut players all the time but dont really pay much attention. at houston in leahy i just cut 3 players that i signed. i started as B, fell to a D after cuts, now back to a C after rollover

also i think you have to fill all your schollies to keep 25% of your budget.

4/10/2017 1:53 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 4/10/2017 1:53:00 PM (view original):
i think you get the same rep hit if you cut a simai (your asst coach filled your schollies) as you do cutting a player you sign. it's different when you take over a new team and cut players that were already on the team, not as big of a hit in this case.

i should know this because i cut players all the time but dont really pay much attention. at houston in leahy i just cut 3 players that i signed. i started as B, fell to a D after cuts, now back to a C after rollover

also i think you have to fill all your schollies to keep 25% of your budget.

I too cut players every season. Is the hit smaller in DII than it is in 1-A?
In DII, if they were AC signings, that B would have only dropped to a B- after the rollover.
4/10/2017 3:28 PM
they were 3 players i signed, not AC
4/10/2017 4:24 PM
Other than job hunting, I haven't noticed a negative to reputation dropping. What am I missing?
4/14/2017 8:59 PM
So bumping this, I cut a Fr. RB who never played a down, my rep dropped from A+ to A-. I'm assuming it wouldve been less for a SIM, so from now on I'll likely just take a SIM vs. some scrub recruit to fill scholarships.
4/22/2017 11:05 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by ebel331 on 4/22/2017 11:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by z32fanatic on 4/22/2017 11:05:00 PM (view original):
So bumping this, I cut a Fr. RB who never played a down, my rep dropped from A+ to A-. I'm assuming it wouldve been less for a SIM, so from now on I'll likely just take a SIM vs. some scrub recruit to fill scholarships.
i think you can ignore how many downs he played. you took the hit cause he was signed while you were the coach of team.
Yeah, I was just commenting on the fact that it was a scrub that I signed, rather than taking a SIM.
4/23/2017 12:39 AM
Scrubs or Scholarship Hogs? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.