Bunt the ball to freakin' third base already ! Topic

I honestly don't think many pitchers do a good job of pitching to the shift anymore. They don't have to. Hitters are trying to pull everything.
4/11/2017 6:04 PM
I kinda agree with JoeRat.... maybe trying some bunts when you're up with two outs will pay off later in the season.

Kinda like showing a bluff early might get you some callers when the blinds are higher, maybe pulling the 3B in a couple of steps to guard against the bunt will give some space to line a ball past him.
4/12/2017 12:42 PM
That is really what I think toddcommish - not that power hitters or pull hitters should become Rabbit Maranville or something but that a few slapped basehits to the opposite field or a few bunts to get on base keep the defense honest - they may not be able to shift on you if when they shift you get on base automatically.

Bill James has shown that intentionally walking even Babe Ruth or Barry Bonds every single time they came up - he ran a zillion computer programs proving it - had worse effects on the defense than letting them hit.

Therefore NO batter is so dangerous that letting them get to first base every time they come up is not worse than letting them hit. So a bunt single every time, which is perfectly feasible given some of the extreme shifts, means that the defenses have to give up the shifts very quickly, since it is worse over time than having Barry Bonds bat against you, or Babe Ruth. It is even possible that an enormous proportion of the value of Barry Bonds to the Giants even his mega-steroid seasons was simply all the walks he got.

So a few bunts could suffice to let the defense know "by shifting you are essentially intentionally walking me since I will bunt to third, so your choice" and the shift itself may go the way of the Dodo Bird. Which is better for all of us.
4/13/2017 11:08 AM
Bunting down the third-base line (for a lefty) isn't necessarily as easy as it sounds unless you're, y'know, GOOD at bunting. You have to bunt it flat (not up) and have about a 45 degree window to bunt between the pitcher and the 3rd baseline.

And that takes practice. But I'm not disagreeing... I'm just pointing out that it would take a paradigm shift, followed by practice (cue Allen Iverson tape), and ending with proper execution.

The reason many don't do it is the same reason that ****** free throw shooters don't shoot underhand (a proven easier way).... they'll look stupid if they fail. One bunt popped in the air or bunted right back to the pitcher will make them look foolish, and that's a risk they won't take. Even a foul bunt or two might loosen up the shift, but to most, the risk is too great.
4/14/2017 11:05 AM
Just watched Anthony Rizzo lay a perfect bunt down the 3rd base line to beat the shift, and follow that up with a steal of 2nd. Not bad for a #3 hitter. It will be interesting to see how the Brewers align the infield in his next PA.
4/17/2017 9:48 PM
Nice. I searched for Rizzo bunting on youtube and found this:

First two times up, he beats the shift with a bunt. Third time up...no shift.
4/18/2017 1:21 AM
or, just take the bat out of their hands for good...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMfT2cZGHg&feature=share
4/18/2017 9:44 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 4/18/2017 1:21:00 AM (view original):
Nice. I searched for Rizzo bunting on youtube and found this:

First two times up, he beats the shift with a bunt. Third time up...no shift.
Those were beautiful Brett-Butler level bunts... Those take PRACTICE, and I commend Rizzo for clearly taking the time to work on this skill.

The gauntlet has been thrown down for all lefty-pull hitters who face the wishbone shift.
4/18/2017 11:13 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 4/17/2017 9:48:00 PM (view original):
Just watched Anthony Rizzo lay a perfect bunt down the 3rd base line to beat the shift, and follow that up with a steal of 2nd. Not bad for a #3 hitter. It will be interesting to see how the Brewers align the infield in his next PA.
I saw that too. So someone out there is figuring it out. Headley has been bunting or hitting to the opposite field against the shift as well (the guy was hitting .155 last year at this time, and they use a shift on him? That't just mean...).
4/18/2017 12:46 PM
The type of bunts that Rizzo laid down on the video do take some practice but they likely are easier than a successful sacrifice or an attempted bunt hit in a normal infield alignment. When these guys are bunting on a shifted infield alignment they really only have make it so the pitcher can't field it and it stays fair.
4/18/2017 2:29 PM
Wow I'm really struggling to post a video
5/2/2017 12:48 AM
Sweet New Yorker cover last week:

5/2/2017 10:36 AM
**** it, I can't post a video on this damn site.

Victor Martinez bunted for a single yesterday against the shift. If he can do it, anyone can. 2nd career bunt attempt and easily the slowest player in the bigs right now.
5/2/2017 6:20 PM
"Easily" the slowest player in the bigs right now? Do you even watch non-Tigers players?
5/2/2017 8:35 PM
Alex Avila is even a Tiger.
5/2/2017 8:39 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Bunt the ball to freakin' third base already ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.