Bunt the ball to freakin' third base already ! Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 5/2/2017 8:35:00 PM (view original):
"Easily" the slowest player in the bigs right now? Do you even watch non-Tigers players?
I'm considering non-pitchers. So no Bartolo Colon. Who do you think is slower than Victor Martinez?
5/2/2017 9:04 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 5/2/2017 6:20:00 PM (view original):
**** it, I can't post a video on this damn site.

Victor Martinez bunted for a single yesterday against the shift. If he can do it, anyone can. 2nd career bunt attempt and easily the slowest player in the bigs right now.
Maybe I can help?

https://goo.gl/kvWNF2

5/2/2017 9:37 PM (edited)
Posted by combalt on 5/2/2017 9:37:00 PM (view original):
Posted by d_rock97 on 5/2/2017 6:20:00 PM (view original):
**** it, I can't post a video on this damn site.

Victor Martinez bunted for a single yesterday against the shift. If he can do it, anyone can. 2nd career bunt attempt and easily the slowest player in the bigs right now.
Maybe I can help?

https://goo.gl/kvWNF2

lol thx
5/2/2017 10:43 PM
Posted by d_rock97 on 5/2/2017 9:04:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 5/2/2017 8:35:00 PM (view original):
"Easily" the slowest player in the bigs right now? Do you even watch non-Tigers players?
I'm considering non-pitchers. So no Bartolo Colon. Who do you think is slower than Victor Martinez?
I was thinking about this. We need a track race between Victor Martinez, Dae Ho-Lee, any active Molina brother, Adrian Gonzalez???, idk maybe there's some backup catchers out there that are insanely slow.
5/3/2017 5:25 PM
Alex Avila and Billy Butler jump to mind.
5/3/2017 7:37 PM
Here is a list of the slowest 5 players to first base in 2015. It's based on players' 90th-percentile times (from Statcast data), so effort is largely a non-factor. Presumably everybody is running hard at least 10% of the time. V-Mart is not on the list.

394. Wilson Ramos, RH, 4.89 seconds
395. Albert Pujols, RH, 4.92 seconds
396. Michael Morse, RH, 4.94 seconds
397 (tie). Billy Butler, RH, 4.95 seconds
397 (tie). Curt Casali, RH, 4.95 seconds
5/3/2017 7:42 PM
cool stat I clicked on the here word to read the article Ichiro 5th fastest at 41 years old that's amazing
5/3/2017 7:48 PM
Of course, taking the majority of his PAs as a LH batter does help Victor a bit in this metric.
5/3/2017 7:48 PM
Ya, it's just last year, V-Mart had the worst base running year...of all time.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18565078/victor-martinez-worst-baserunner-ever

Even David Ortiz outran him. I guess I attributed that to footspeed
5/4/2017 12:06 AM
First of all, I'm not 100% sure what metric the author of that article is using for baserunning runs. The worst BsR in recent memory belongs to 2012 Billy Butler (although 2016 V-Mart is 2nd-worst. And Billy Butler is also 3rd-worst. These 2 guys are all over the leaderboard from the past 5 seasons). But this isn't just about speed. There's a lot of decision-making involved as well. Ryan Braun has really bad BsR over the past few seasons. He's still got above-average speed, he's just been over-aggressive on a poor team and has been getting himself thrown out too much. Conversely, some of the leaders in recent years - Brian Dozier, Jason Kipnis, Josh Reddick, Chase Utley, Jayson Werth - are much more opportunistic than blazingly fast.

Speed definitely helps with baserunning runs. But there's a heavy dose of good baseball smarts. V-Mart is a pretty good baseball player, but you don't get the impression he's ever dedicated a lot of time or energy to his baserunning. I think he's in the bottom 10% of the league in footspeed, but not the absolute bottom.
5/4/2017 4:03 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 4/18/2017 11:13:00 AM (view original):
Posted by crazystengel on 4/18/2017 1:21:00 AM (view original):
Nice. I searched for Rizzo bunting on youtube and found this:

First two times up, he beats the shift with a bunt. Third time up...no shift.
Those were beautiful Brett-Butler level bunts... Those take PRACTICE, and I commend Rizzo for clearly taking the time to work on this skill.

The gauntlet has been thrown down for all lefty-pull hitters who face the wishbone shift.
It's worth noting that his manager is a defensive shift guru. I'm sure if anyone can manage against the shift, it's Joe Maddon.
5/25/2017 2:18 PM
why bunt

why not push the swing on the plane of the pitch

do what comes natural but do it leisurely
5/25/2017 7:09 PM
Posted by bagchucker on 5/25/2017 7:09:00 PM (view original):
why bunt

why not push the swing on the plane of the pitch

do what comes natural but do it leisurely
Bunting = better chance of contact controlled contact. It's hard to swing leisurely at a MLB pitch, and many guys these days aren't taught to go with a pitch, push, pull, etc. to move runners over, etc. the way we all learned when we were younger. If they are ever taught it, it seems to get abandoned somewhere along the path of learning the present boom or bust approach to batting that puts the ADD/social media generation in the seats.
5/26/2017 1:13 AM
◂ Prev 123
Bunt the ball to freakin' third base already ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.