Halftime Settings Topic

I recently played in a game https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/GameResults/BoxScore.aspx?gid=14305562&tab=boxscore

where the sim switched my defense from -1 to +1.

I thought it was odd because my opponent only scored 17 points on 2-10 shooting from behind the arc.

I looked it up and found this in the knowledge base:

https://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=321

which basically says the decision is based on the ratio of inside to outside shots. I thought 6 to 11 was a pretty low ratio to move the maximum amount so I sent in a ticket.

Am I crazy? Am I missing something?

4/10/2017 9:25 PM
It's done some crazy adjustments for me. I have largely given up on leaving the halftime adjustments to chance. I like to set mine of only adjusting if I am losing by 5 or more.
4/10/2017 9:47 PM
I use anytime when I fear threes in the 2nd, never when I know my adjustments are perfect and when losing in games my set up is -1 to 0.
4/11/2017 7:39 AM
Posted by zorzii on 4/11/2017 7:39:00 AM (view original):
I use anytime when I fear threes in the 2nd, never when I know my adjustments are perfect and when losing in games my set up is -1 to 0.
I've never thought of doing this but a real good point.

Generally I will only allow CPU adjustments if im losing, as I don't need to change up a game plan if I'm winning at halftime. I have had a ton of random occurrences that have burned me by a random adjustment.
4/11/2017 11:46 AM
Here's the answer I got:
Just wondering why the SIM changed by defense for the second half. I know I had it set for any time but I held the team to 17 points in the first half on 2-10 shooting on 3 points shots, what sort of logic says "this is working great! lets change it!"

:)

Thanks in advance for any insight on how/why this function works.

4/10/2017 9:14 PM Trentonjoe
I looked at this in the knowledge base:

https://www.whatifsports.com/knowledgebase/KB_Article_Details.aspx?kbid=321

and it talks about points as a %. IS 6 out of 17 a high enough % to move it the full 2 notches? ~36% sounds a little low.
4/11/2017 1:10 PM Customer Support
Hi ,

We look at both the number of points and the percentage of shots taken when making halftime adjustments. In this case it was determined to make a change.
4/11/2017 2:46 PM Trentonjoe
1. You should change the knowledge base then because it only talks about points.
2. Can you give me a little more information about the thresholds of when a change is warranted? It's a option I would like you use but not if the threshold is so low it does make sense in my opinion,.
4/11/2017 4:26 PM Customer Support
Hi,

The main reason the change happened is because there were a lot of shots happening from the perimeter. There were 10 shots from three vs 14 shots from inside the line Even though your defense had done well it was trying to adjust to do better.

We don't provide any further details about the changes. You might want to consider only changing if losing or tied.
4/11/2017 4:29 PM
Sometimes I think the guys behind the curtain have never even played this game before. And I certainly know they are not near as passionate or anal about these things as we are.
4/11/2017 5:04 PM
Posted by CoachWard2 on 4/11/2017 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Sometimes I think the guys behind the curtain have never even played this game before. And I certainly know they are not near as passionate or anal about these things as we are.
0nly?
4/11/2017 6:15 PM
Posted by CoachWard2 on 4/11/2017 5:04:00 PM (view original):
Only 99%. CoachWards last username was CoachWard95 so...

Life hacks: 95 must be the year he was born.
4/11/2017 6:45 PM
It might be 0nly, but I don't disagree with his post.
4/11/2017 8:03 PM
Well it isn't Coachward, that much is certain lol.
4/11/2017 8:19 PM
They can't give away the entire game processes. Or, if it's low level support, they don't really know anyway.
4/11/2017 11:31 PM
I was happy with the response. I was hoping to trick them into a concrete % but at least they admitted total shots are a part of it.
4/12/2017 2:01 PM
I've always thought it would be better if you could halftime game-plan like in GD. *******THAT WOULD TURN THIS INTO A CHESS GAME, LIKE IN REAL LIFE---COACH K VERSUS IZZO: WHO CAN PUT TOGETHER A BETTER COMPREHENSIVE GAMEPLAN, AND THEN ADJUST ACCORDINGLY AT HALFTIME. I WILL CONTINUE TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE I FEEL UNBELIEVABLY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS.*******
4/12/2017 3:53 PM
Posted by ab90 on 4/12/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
I've always thought it would be better if you could halftime game-plan like in GD. *******THAT WOULD TURN THIS INTO A CHESS GAME, LIKE IN REAL LIFE---COACH K VERSUS IZZO: WHO CAN PUT TOGETHER A BETTER COMPREHENSIVE GAMEPLAN, AND THEN ADJUST ACCORDINGLY AT HALFTIME. I WILL CONTINUE TYPING IN CAPS BECAUSE I FEEL UNBELIEVABLY STRONGLY ABOUT THIS.*******
2 a day worlds..
4/12/2017 3:55 PM
Posted by ab90 on 4/12/2017 3:53:00 PM (view original):
What it really boils down to is TJ>AB.
4/12/2017 4:53 PM
12 Next ▸
Halftime Settings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.