GHOST IN THE LATRINE (FULL) Topic

Hi crazystengel,

I am going to cheat just a little. My old friend Ted Del Guercio, who passed away a few years ago, and went to college with my father, and patiently talked and played baseball (and wiffle ball) endlessly with me when I was a little kid, played for the Charleston Rebels in the South Atlantic League in 1953. He came in second in batting in that league that year, hitting .333. The league's leading hitter, the only one better than him that year, was a guy named Henry Aaron who played for the Jacksonville Braves, hitting .363.

Ted played on the Rebels with a certain outfielder named Earl Smith. Smith played on the 1953 Pirates, and had too few PA to make our WIS database.

So I will twist the 1953 Pirates, except, my rookie will be named Ted Del Guercio, who never made it to the majors, rather than Earl Smith.

One question - why in the world do we need 60 (!!) WAAAAA ,when 6 or 10 would more than suffice to get u s a player each who we could use for this league? Why waste 59 good AAA?

Anyway, curious about that, but it is a good league idea and I am in.
4/14/2017 5:34 PM
italyprof, no worries on the renaming. In fact, some owners might forget to rename their rookie, or they might want to rename him after themselves so they can imagine it's them hitting all those home runs. Doesn't really matter.

The only issue with Earl Smith is that he played on the 1955 Pirates. If you have your heart set on the 1953 Pirates, your "official" ghost can be a batter named Pete Naton. Please let me know if you want Smith/55 Pirates or Naton/53 Pirates.
4/14/2017 5:48 PM
As for the rookies, there really aren't that many. If you're leaving a specific batting spot open, like C or 2B, you'll have only 10 players to ID/choose from. If you want a SP (most would probably prefer a SP over a RP just for the innings), you've got 10 to choose from.

For the purposes of the TOC, only the lineup you bring with you to the tourney is counted towards your salary. So our two WS finalists will be heading to a $90M TOC.
4/14/2017 5:55 PM
I would kind of like to stick with 1953, as that was Ted's real premier season. Why he was never called up to the majors that year, especially given how weak the Pirates were...so, yes, thanks, Pete Naton 1953.
4/14/2017 6:03 PM
Chan Perry 2000 Cleveland Indians please.
4/14/2017 6:27 PM
Welcome, sjh0825!

16 in!
4/14/2017 10:35 PM

Ryan Rohlinger

That superb hitter from the 2009 SF Giants
4/14/2017 10:51 PM
I am going to take Cotton Nash, primarily 'cuz it's a pretty cool baseball name. He had his cup of coffee with the '67 Chisox
4/15/2017 2:07 AM
Posted by italyprof on 4/14/2017 5:34:00 PM (view original):
Hi crazystengel,

I am going to cheat just a little. My old friend Ted Del Guercio, who passed away a few years ago, and went to college with my father, and patiently talked and played baseball (and wiffle ball) endlessly with me when I was a little kid, played for the Charleston Rebels in the South Atlantic League in 1953. He came in second in batting in that league that year, hitting .333. The league's leading hitter, the only one better than him that year, was a guy named Henry Aaron who played for the Jacksonville Braves, hitting .363.

Ted played on the Rebels with a certain outfielder named Earl Smith. Smith played on the 1953 Pirates, and had too few PA to make our WIS database.

So I will twist the 1953 Pirates, except, my rookie will be named Ted Del Guercio, who never made it to the majors, rather than Earl Smith.

One question - why in the world do we need 60 (!!) WAAAAA ,when 6 or 10 would more than suffice to get u s a player each who we could use for this league? Why waste 59 good AAA?

Anyway, curious about that, but it is a good league idea and I am in.
back in the 50s or before even if you were a great player some player had make up there mind to play for little money or got a real job if specially if he had a family married with kids I know this man mr santos who was picher and could have made it to the majers but had to choose to play or get a real job he had choose the real job he talk about the players he played with in the 50s sorry to say Mr Santos passway 5 years ago always love talking baseball with him todays players make to much money
4/15/2017 7:08 AM
Very cool idea, I'm in team TBD.
4/15/2017 8:36 AM
1941 Cards,

Walter Sessi

4/15/2017 10:45 AM
Welcome, zdedalus!

17 in!
4/15/2017 12:50 PM
I'm in. 1982 Brewers, Bob Skube
4/15/2017 1:39 PM
Welcome, wink0094!

18 in!
4/15/2017 1:55 PM
196:9 Chicago Cubs my ghost is pitcher Alec Distaso.

I have never won with a cub team and I don't have much confidence in this one. I love the team though so I might as well have some fun.

question: May i use anybody that shows up in baseball reference for the 1969 Cubs. Even a guy like Joe Niekro who does not have enough IP to be WIS qualified for that year? If I load the 1969 Cubs in WIS Niekro will not show up but he pitched a few innings that year for the Cubs. May I twist Niekro?
4/15/2017 5:12 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
GHOST IN THE LATRINE (FULL) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.