Inglorious end ... Topic

Why was this game so popular years ago when worlds were completely full?

I don't know why you wouldn't want to pay attention to how the game is doing as a whole. Or why you wouldn't care if the game is liked by anyone but yourself.

Best case- you get to play a game against all Sims and win a bunch. Worst case - the game is dead.
4/20/2017 9:28 AM
It was new. As I said, it's been stagnant for years. YEARS.
4/20/2017 9:47 AM
HB was stupid popular for about 2 years. Couldn't have enough worlds. I think it peaked at 200+ and rollovers were about a day or so for almost everyone. Then not. Worlds sit for months then merge now. My guess is we have half as many worlds as we once did.
4/20/2017 10:09 AM
Posted by Benis on 4/20/2017 9:28:00 AM (view original):
Why was this game so popular years ago when worlds were completely full?

I don't know why you wouldn't want to pay attention to how the game is doing as a whole. Or why you wouldn't care if the game is liked by anyone but yourself.

Best case- you get to play a game against all Sims and win a bunch. Worst case - the game is dead.
You are the king of hyperbole, Benis. The game isn't dead, or anything near that. There are ~100 coaches in the divisions of the worlds I play in, all 5. Lots of people like 3.0. No game is ever going to be perfectly suited for everyone, we all have our preferences. But this one is *much* better than the previous version, as far as I'm concerned. No contest. Not everyone likes the kind of games I like, and no, I'm not obligated to care if they do or not. I'm not a game developer trying to hit a certain market, it's not my job to care about anything except whether I enjoy it, and want to keep playing.

Speaking of massively popular games, how's FarmVille doing?
4/20/2017 10:31 AM
Benis- King of the Hyperbole. I kind of like the sound of that.

I guess you're not looking at Phelan or Tark where there are 80ish coaches in both D2 and D3.

If you don't care if people do or don't like the game then why spend so much time on here arguing with people like me or Poncho or Rogelio?

But overall, I think there are many aspects with 3.0 that are improved and I really like it too. However, one of the things that hasn't improved is one that I perceive to be the most important - new user retention.
4/20/2017 10:49 AM
Posted by Benis on 4/20/2017 10:49:00 AM (view original):

I guess you're not looking at Phelan or Tark where there are 80ish coaches in both D2 and D3.

If you don't care if people do or don't like the game then why spend so much time on here arguing with people like me or Poncho or Rogelio?

But overall, I think there are many aspects with 3.0 that are improved and I really like it too. However, one of the things that hasn't improved is one that I perceive to be the most important - new user retention.
I don't play D2 or D3 in tarkanian or Phelan.

I mostly stayed the hell off forums until beta. Then I started posting, because the negativity was prejudicing people against it before they even tried it. People like "0nly" were constantly poisoning the well. Forums should be a place where people who play the game come to discuss strategies, where new players can get help to understand certain aspects, etc. And yeah, discuss potential improvements. But to have those constructive discussions on potential improvements, you had to wade through dozens and dozens of meaningless garbage rants splattered with personal attacks.

I argue with you and rogelio because it's fun to argue with smart people who disagree. It is usually done mostly respectfully. On the other hand, I have a low tolerance for whiners (not you or Rogelio) whose purpose on the forums does not extend beyond spreading toxicity.

When I say I don't care whether others like it or not, it's in context of this tactic of using overall population snapshots to determine whether it improves the game or not. That's not how I determine whether I like the game, or not. Obviously I'd like others to enjoy the game. In some anecdotal cases, it has just been some simple perception shifts that has moved the needle from this sucks to tolerable, or tolerable to this is fun. That's why I continue to crawl out of my hole to participate in the forums now.
4/20/2017 11:34 AM

First, it's a limited market. I know we disagree but it is. If 10 people get a free season and one stays, that's probably a success story.

Second, we all know many long-time users left. They didn't like the change, and, maybe if I hadn't left 10 years ago, I wouldn't have either. It was their playground and the sliding board was replaced with a see-saw. But I doubt any of them started with 10 teams. They built up their numbers over the years.

Finally, if you put those two items together, that 1 of 10 that stuck around for S2 might eventually have 10 teams. It's way too early to tell.

Success Story:
11 of us from HBD-MG came to try our free season. 10 stayed. I believe 7 have a 2nd team now(4th season). Another from HBD-Coop took the departing players spot. And that was without a free season. This might be the case for many of the "free tryout" users.

Moral of the Story:
It's too damn early to say "Retention sucks" or "World populations were killed!!"
4/20/2017 12:12 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 4/20/2017 11:34:00 AM (view original):

I don't play D2 or D3 in tarkanian or Phelan.

I mostly stayed the hell off forums until beta. Then I started posting, because the negativity was prejudicing people against it before they even tried it. People like "0nly" were constantly poisoning the well. Forums should be a place where people who play the game come to discuss strategies, where new players can get help to understand certain aspects, etc. And yeah, discuss potential improvements. But to have those constructive discussions on potential improvements, you had to wade through dozens and dozens of meaningless garbage rants splattered with personal attacks.

I argue with you and rogelio because it's fun to argue with smart people who disagree. It is usually done mostly respectfully. On the other hand, I have a low tolerance for whiners (not you or Rogelio) whose purpose on the forums does not extend beyond spreading toxicity.

When I say I don't care whether others like it or not, it's in context of this tactic of using overall population snapshots to determine whether it improves the game or not. That's not how I determine whether I like the game, or not. Obviously I'd like others to enjoy the game. In some anecdotal cases, it has just been some simple perception shifts that has moved the needle from this sucks to tolerable, or tolerable to this is fun. That's why I continue to crawl out of my hole to participate in the forums now.
I think we can all agree that arguing IS a lot of fun.
4/20/2017 12:42 PM
No one will believe me but I don't find it fun.

I hardly posted here for 10 days because there was no EE gripe threads. And, until everyone started saying "WifS is stupid for not making an exception!!!" in this thread, I was ignoring it as well.

Arguing can be necessary.
4/20/2017 12:56 PM
They need to fix stuff that aren't working. I am sorry, but I don't know why we are arguing about this. Job changing needs a fix, ees need a fix, etc. Let's do it. Stop complainingf, WIS wake up.
4/20/2017 12:58 PM
THIS worked as intended. Not sure it needs a "fix".
EE can be debated. And has. Many times.
4/20/2017 1:01 PM
I'd like them to at least fix the considering list thing. That should be easy.
4/20/2017 1:18 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/20/2017 1:18:00 PM (view original):
I'd like them to at least fix the considering list thing. That should be easy.
Millennials.
4/20/2017 1:21 PM
I don't know if it's easy but it was programmed poorly. Someone made the decision to cut it off at 10 alphabetically. That's just a bad decision.
4/20/2017 1:23 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/20/2017 6:55:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/19/2017 11:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/19/2017 6:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by poncho0091 on 4/18/2017 7:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/18/2017 9:48:00 AM (view original):
Breaking them would benefit me, and everyone I assume, but, if I was WifS, I wouldn't do it. Because of this:

User 1 relinquishes the job
Users 1 and 2 apply for the job
User 2 is more qualified than User 1, but neither are sufficiently qualified
The gig goes to a sim

If they now give the gig to user 1, who (unjustifiably or not) is less qualified than user 2, then i can see why it would upset user 2. "hey, i got rejected from this job and took a worse post - but i have a better resume than the coach who you gave the job to!"

Without question, this would happen every season in every world and, quite possibly, multiple times. CS wouldn't have time for anything else HD-related and, undoubtedly, would make the wrong call, in someone's mind, every time. Can of worms I wouldn't open.
They should have plenty of time, because once they rolled out 3.0, they paid attention for about 2 weeks and basically abandoned the game. There was more WIS interaction when every world was loaded than there is now or in many years for that matter.
Neither of us know how much time they have. Only one of us is pretending that we do.
Funny, because only one of us pretended to know how much time they would spend restoring multiple users to teams every season that they wouldn't have time for anything else HD related. Sounds a lot like you are pretending to know how much time they have. Me on the other hand realize they had time to create 3.0, so they should have time to maintain it at a bare minimum. After driving out a large portion of the customer base, they should have more time to commit the users.

Why don't you tell me all the evidence that supports how often users are asking WIS to restore them to a team they forgot to renew on. I'd be willing to bet it's not nearly as often as you think, and likely doesn't take nearly as much time as you're assuming.
I didn't pretend they didn't have time. I stated, plainly, that it's a precedent they didn't want to set. It may have been due to time, headaches, simply sticking to the list guidelines, etc, etc.

Reading comprehension, bro.

Or, at the very least, assuming you did understand what I said, argue what I said not what you wish I'd said.
Let's agree to disagree on your statement, because your exact words were, "CS wouldn't have time for anything else HD-related". If I misunderstood your intention, then fine, but those are the words you said, not the words I "wish you said".
4/20/2017 7:51 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12|13 Next ▸
Inglorious end ... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.