Perimeter based team Topic

I started getting a little burnt out in Wooden so in order to keep my interest in the game I decided to attempt creating a gimmicky team... one centered around guards and 3 pt shooting. If anyone has ever seen the real Grinnell D3 team play, they are kind of what I wanted to try and create with my Knox team.

This season will be the real test to see if this gimmicky offense will work, everyone is returning (unless i cut McKeen and get a rebounder, which I might do since he was one of 2 guys recruited by the sim before I came and I absolutely hate his Ath/def ratings).

Last season we made the 2nd round of the NT, and are currently sitting at a 67 team perimeter rating. Jones, Maris and Meyer are green in perimeter and Frost is blue. Cavillo, Wilson and Koehler have the only reds so our team perimeter will still raise quite a bit.

I definitely went out on a limb to try something different, this team is god awful at anything inside. This season is going to be an all out uptempo high scoring 3 pt barrage. We'll see what happens.
4/15/2017 3:06 PM
You should shoot more 3's....seriously.
4/15/2017 3:21 PM
I didn't fully commit last season. I changed it up more often, tried to catch a few teams off guard that I thought would play me +5, tried to get Koehler to the line more... etc. But I'm going to now that I have team IQ's up, everyone returning, and lots of upperclassmen. I expect our 3's to near double.
4/15/2017 3:42 PM
Get a rebounder. You need one. You're problem is there is no backup center. McKeen is god-awful.
4/15/2017 4:14 PM
Posted by cubcub113 on 4/15/2017 4:14:00 PM (view original):
Get a rebounder. You need one. You're problem is there is no backup center. McKeen is god-awful.
My thoughts exactly. McKeen was sim recruited in season before I arrived. I should have cut him earlier. Going to get someone who can actually help on the boards.
4/15/2017 4:40 PM
Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Game Boxscore - Knox vs. Rutgers at Newark

Going off our game you could really use rebounding inside, you made up for some of it with steals, but that was the deciding factor. I don't know if this goes with what you were trying to do, but you could benifit from getting 2 Centers with high rebounding ratings to throw the ball back to your shooters.
4/15/2017 4:49 PM
Posted by MonsterTurtl on 4/15/2017 4:49:00 PM (view original):
Hoops Dynasty – College Basketball Sim Games - Game Boxscore - Knox vs. Rutgers at Newark

Going off our game you could really use rebounding inside, you made up for some of it with steals, but that was the deciding factor. I don't know if this goes with what you were trying to do, but you could benifit from getting 2 Centers with high rebounding ratings to throw the ball back to your shooters.
Yeah it was grossly apparent more than a few times this past season that we need rebounding help. The 2 high rebounding centers approach may be the thing to try going forward. My initial plan was for the entire team to be perimeter based. When I recruited Davis, he was HH in perimeter as well, but the trade-off in rebounding vs perimeter for bigs is obviously not working. And Noble doesn't have the ATH to play in the paint.
4/15/2017 5:20 PM
I love Grinnell's system. It's the same system Loyola Marymount played in their glory days. I went to Asbury University (then it was a college) in Kentucky. This year they played Kentucky in an exhibition game and it was on ESPN. I was shocked to find that Asbury currently plays the same system. Of course, it didn't help against Kentucky and they got blown out by superior talent.
4/19/2017 8:36 PM
It would have been nice if 3.0 included offensive formations, "out" and "in" players, like a 4-1, 3-2 or 1-4. Then you could play a real 4 G spread offense or a deep baseline game and recruit for it. It would give teams a way to create more ways to be successful.
4/20/2017 6:12 AM
I've got some good 3pt shooting going at my grinnell team now... its not working as well as i had hoped
2 guys in the 90s, 4 in the 80s, and I even have a SF who can play small ball PF and has a 79 PE

I really thought I'd do better on the glass with this team - my bigs can rebound, and i thought that if you drag the opposition's positioning to be +3 or so, I'd be able to crush it on the offensive glass... alas, its not working out that way...
4/20/2017 3:32 PM
Perimeter based team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.