GOAT for each team Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 4/16/2017 11:07:00 AM (view original):
You can't combine the two Senators teams because they are two separate franchises.
Exactly, thank you for the clarification. I think this should be done in terms of the franchises as they currently exist, so exclude Washington Senators from the Twins and Rangers. No Seattle Pilots eligible for the Brewers GOAT! :P
4/16/2017 3:19 PM
Posted by Got_Worms on 4/16/2017 3:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 4/16/2017 11:07:00 AM (view original):
You can't combine the two Senators teams because they are two separate franchises.
Exactly, thank you for the clarification. I think this should be done in terms of the franchises as they currently exist, so exclude Washington Senators from the Twins and Rangers. No Seattle Pilots eligible for the Brewers GOAT! :P
Disagree. This should be done with the entire history of each of the 30 current franchises.
4/16/2017 3:38 PM
But MikeT started the thread. He gets to decide the rules.
4/16/2017 3:39 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/16/2017 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 4/16/2017 1:02:00 PM (view original):
For "my" Oakland (not KC or Philly) A's, I've gotta say Rickey and Catfish.
For the Phil/KC/Oak franchise, Rickey might still be the guy. With Eddie Plank.
Rickey over Simmons and Foxx? Their careers were a little shorter, but man could they hit...
4/16/2017 3:58 PM
They could indeed hit, but their numbers were a bit inflated by the era they played in. And they played in an era with other great hitters.

Rickey was unique in his game. There's never been another player like him. Clearly a GOAT.
4/16/2017 4:53 PM
Posted by aginor on 4/16/2017 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Good list but lacks pitchers . How about a pitcher & positional guy?

Yanks add Ford (how about Guidry?, the forgotten one)
Orioles add Palmer
Blue Jays add Halladay but I'd go with Alomar
Rays Price and Longoria
Red Sox add Martinez (though a certain Cy Young could be there too and I agree with Yaz, a good argument for Williams could be made)

Twins Blyleven and Killebrew
Tigers. Cobb and Newhouser
Indians Feller and Tris Speaker
Royals Brett and Leonard
White Sox Walsh and Collins
I wouldn't go Alomar for the Jays. He wasn't there long enough and played with a ton of teams.

I'd go Halladay, followed by Delgado or even Dave Stieb.
4/16/2017 8:39 PM
Stieb & Halladay are really a coin flip. Both played during the leans years. Yea Delgado owns most of team's hitting records. I gave Alomar the edge due to being a key part of WS teams (offence & defence). What about George Bell?
4/16/2017 9:58 PM
Posted by aginor on 4/16/2017 9:58:00 PM (view original):
Stieb & Halladay are really a coin flip. Both played during the leans years. Yea Delgado owns most of team's hitting records. I gave Alomar the edge due to being a key part of WS teams (offence & defence). What about George Bell?
1993 John Olerud...
4/17/2017 4:28 AM
Alomar was only in TOR for 4-5 years. I sort of thought of him as one of those dudes with no "home" team.
4/17/2017 9:23 AM
Alomar was only in TO for a few years, and his best statistical years came in Baltimore and Cleveland. Even though 1993 was a strong year for him, I don't think it's enough to "assign" him to the TO franchise.
4/17/2017 9:38 AM
For the Tigers, you could easily say Cobb. But that was a little long ago. If you talked to Tigers fans now, we love our Kaline and Tramm.

So the GOAT would still be Cobb, but everyone's favorite Tiger is usually Al Kaline, or Alan Trammel
4/17/2017 7:13 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/16/2017 4:53:00 PM (view original):
They could indeed hit, but their numbers were a bit inflated by the era they played in. And they played in an era with other great hitters.

Rickey was unique in his game. There's never been another player like him. Clearly a GOAT.
There were lots of great hitters, and Double X still led the AL in OPS 5 times, the first few with Gehrig and Ruth still going strong. I'd take Foxx for the A's.

That said, your point is good. There's no great approximation of Rickey in the history of the game. Closest would probably be Raines or Joe Morgan, but they're both obviously a step behind stolen base-wise. It's hard to argue against Rickey. I just personally see a slightly stronger argument for Foxx. I view him as a top 10 hitter all-time and arguably the 2nd-best right-handed hitter in history.
4/17/2017 10:39 PM
I'd take Rickey for the A's. Rickey says pick Rickey.
4/17/2017 11:10 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/17/2017 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Rickey knows what Rickey's talkin' 'bout. Plus Rickey got the whole field named after Rickey. (Don't think any other player has that.)
4/18/2017 10:11 AM
Posted by all3 on 4/18/2017 10:11:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/17/2017 11:10:00 PM (view original):
Rickey knows what Rickey's talkin' 'bout. Plus Rickey got the whole field named after Rickey. (Don't think any other player has that.)
Goldy does! Goldy da GOAT
4/18/2017 12:23 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
GOAT for each team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.