GOAT for each team Topic

Cobb vs Kaline vs Trammel

Trammel doesn't even belong in that group. I think it's Cobb, 100%, but you could argue some for Kaline. That would be akin to me saying "Well, I'd go with Ruth but Gehrig and Mantle need to be in there. That said, those dudes played a long time ago. JETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And that is kinda dumb.
4/18/2017 1:13 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/18/2017 1:13:00 PM (view original):

Trammel doesn't even belong in that group. I think it's Cobb, 100%, but you could argue some for Kaline. That would be akin to me saying "Well, I'd go with Ruth but Gehrig and Mantle need to be in there. That said, those dudes played a long time ago. JETER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And that is kinda dumb.
Jeter and Trammell as rough equivalents, me and mike finally agree.
4/18/2017 1:14 PM

And that is kinda dumb.
I think there's a disconnect in d_rock's post. He's confusing the Tigers' GOAT player with Tigers fans favorite players.

A person's favorite player is going to be somebody who they like to watch play. As a long-time Yankee fan, I can say that my favorite players over the years have been Munson, Mattingly and Jeter. But there's no way I would call any of them the Yankee's GOAT. That would have to be Ruth.
4/18/2017 1:30 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/18/2017 1:14:00 PM (view original):

And that is kinda dumb.
Jeter is to Ruth as Trammel is to Cobb.

And Ruth >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cobb
4/18/2017 1:52 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 4/18/2017 1:30:00 PM (view original):

And that is kinda dumb.
I think there's a disconnect in d_rock's post. He's confusing the Tigers' GOAT player with Tigers fans favorite players.

A person's favorite player is going to be somebody who they like to watch play. As a long-time Yankee fan, I can say that my favorite players over the years have been Munson, Mattingly and Jeter. But there's no way I would call any of them the Yankee's GOAT. That would have to be Ruth.
Ya, idk how I confused that. I read favorite.
4/18/2017 2:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/18/2017 1:52:00 PM (view original):

And that is kinda dumb.

Bartolo Colon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ruth.

Ive seen some majestic homeruns outta BartoGOAT that Ruth would never come close to if he tried.
4/18/2017 2:20 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/18/2017 1:52:00 PM (view original):

And that is kinda dumb.

Right. Jeter and Trammell were very, very valuable shortstops who fall well short of the inner-circle, all-time-great, 1st tier hall of fame.
4/18/2017 3:33 PM (edited)
Posted by tecwrg on 4/16/2017 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 4/16/2017 1:02:00 PM (view original):
For "my" Oakland (not KC or Philly) A's, I've gotta say Rickey and Catfish.
For the Phil/KC/Oak franchise, Rickey might still be the guy. With Eddie Plank.
Rickey is fine here (I lean to Foxx, but whatever).

But the pitcher has to be Lefty Grove.
4/18/2017 3:40 PM
Good point...
4/18/2017 4:02 PM
Is it too soon to put Cabrera in the GOAT discussion for the Tigers?
4/18/2017 4:35 PM
Posted by Jtpsops on 4/18/2017 4:35:00 PM (view original):
Is it too soon to put Cabrera in the GOAT discussion for the Tigers?
You can make a case that Miggy is a better hitter than Cobb. I mean, you can't make the best case, but you can argue that. But Cobb was a more complete player
4/18/2017 4:50 PM
I don't think it's too soon. Miggy is considered a HOF lock. Once you're in that discussion, greatest in the franchise is reasonable.
4/18/2017 5:37 PM
I think he's much more seriously in the Marlins GOAT discussion. Though I think at this point I'd give that award to Hanley. Pending the remainder of Stanton's Marlins career.
4/18/2017 5:57 PM
Really? He only played four full seasons in Florida and has had his best years in Detroit.
4/18/2017 6:02 PM
I'd probably go Sheff over Cabrera if we're only looking at the years they played with the Marlins.
4/18/2017 6:05 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
GOAT for each team Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.