Moving Scouting from HS to College Topic

Gonna open this up for discussion in case anyone wants to. One of my teams has 20 mil HS/0 College. The other is the reverse. The HS team drafts at the end of the first round next season. I am contemplating using the next few seasons to move my dollars from HS into College. So my next four seasons would go 16/4, 12/8, 8/12, 4/16. I would think those two seasons in the middle would be just throwing-darts type of drafts.

Anyone else who's tried this? How'd it go for you?

4/16/2017 2:13 PM
Why would you want to do that?

Anyway, if you do, I'd plan on signing Type A in those 8/12 seasons. Maybe do it strategically to keep a rival from getting a good pick(i.e. sign 2-3 Type A thus pushing him to 3rd/4th round) or just stockpile BL talent.
4/17/2017 9:11 AM
Your advice is well taken. If ever there's a time to load up on Type A's, that would be it.

As to why I'd want to do that, it's my experience with 20 mil College drafts for my other team. Due to the amount of prospects I see, I can get useful minor league players down at pick 6,7,8. In HS drafts I usually see only about 120-140 prospects even worth spending bonus money on. The top end of the drafts is the same, but the depth is totally different. Plus the longer wait for prospects to be ML ready. I just feel like I have a higher comfort level with College drafts, that's why I'd even think about this.

However, one of my reasons for posting this is that while this four-season transition has been proposed a few times in these forums, I don't know that anyone's actually done it. If no one has, that's an answer in itself.

4/17/2017 9:31 AM
I know I haven't. I picked my road and stayed there. Except when I got to 0/0 due to payroll commitments. I think I've swapped lanes then but that would have led to several seasons of nothing drafts if not for being able to see currents back in the day.
4/17/2017 9:34 AM
I havent done it...I have considered possibly doing it on a team. I like what Mike said about the type A's if you can swing it money wise in the lean years. Also consider the season before you get to where you want taking a type D for the season after grab 2 guys there in the first round once you are set.
4/17/2017 11:01 AM
You can't make it an 8 season comittment by bumping Coll first to 16 then dropping the HS? Just with the new fuzzy ratings I hate not knowing what is going on in the draft.
4/17/2017 11:30 AM
Well yeah, you could do it that way too. That way would require going all in draft-only and leaving, off the top of my head, no wiggle room at all for free agency much less IFA, and I'd even worry about having no room for long term contracts. It would be the difference between practically punting the draft for two seasons, or focusing only on the draft for eight (?). Not bad if you're drafting in the top ten, not so much if you're drafting at the back end.

Also, to me your fuzzy ratings argument says "it won't hurt to skip a couple of drafts" more than it says "pump even more money into a risky proposition."

4/17/2017 11:44 AM
It all depends which strategy you find works and going against the curve. Before this year in Riley I would have said 'punt the draft. Go with free agents and avoid IFA like the plague'. Now I'm not sure. It only takes one owner with deep pockets to screw everything up. Not sure how I'm going to build my team in that league going forward to be honest.

i'm noticing more and more I would rather get my big league talent through trades. Though I guess a prospect is a prospect regardless of how much scouting you put into him.
4/17/2017 10:52 PM (edited)
Moving Scouting from HS to College Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.