Wants success/rebuild ? Topic

So what is the trigger for this preference? I was just glancing at my Nebraska Wesleyan team which is now in its second session of recruiting and noticed that I'm sitting at "neutral" on this. This confuses me a little. My four seasons at the school look like this:

91 -- 25-5, NT 1, RPI 44, NR
92 -- 29-2, NT 2, RPI 39, 23
93 -- 23-7, NT 1, RPI 53, NR
94 -- 29-2, NT 2, RPI 30, 13

I am guessing this is strictly an RPI-based preference? It hardly seems like it could be based on record if 106-16 isn't getting it done for the kids. Ditto for national tournament appearances. And having finished in the national rankings 2 of the last 3 years doesn't seem to have had an effect either.

Even if it's an RPI-based metric, shouldn't more than the top 10/bottom 10 percent of teams at D3 have it?

Am I missing something obvious here with regard to this preference? Anyone have a theory?
4/16/2017 11:50 PM
I'm guessing it has something to do with D-3 vs higher division recruiting. It's possible that D-3 could have too much of an advantage with this preference against a D-1 school, so they've decided to either keep it neutral or make it very hard to move it from neutral.

Also, prestige is a very small factor at D-3, so it's possible their thinking with success/rebuild should reflect that.
4/17/2017 2:02 AM
Posted by thewizard17 on 4/17/2017 2:03:00 AM (view original):
I'm guessing it has something to do with D-3 vs higher division recruiting. It's possible that D-3 could have too much of an advantage with this preference against a D-1 school, so they've decided to either keep it neutral or make it very hard to move it from neutral.

Also, prestige is a very small factor at D-3, so it's possible their thinking with success/rebuild should reflect that.
Hadn't thought along that route, but that would make sense. BUT...that doesn't seem the case as my Emory team which is between sessions is showing a host of Good's and Bad's in that same category with the following seasons...

91 -- 22-9, NT 2, RPI 27, NR
92 -- 23-6, NT 2, RPI 21, NR
93 -- 26-7, E8, RPI 9, 9
94 -- 26-6, E8, RPI 5, 10

So, slightly worse record, better overall RPI and better NT performance. But really not looking like something THAT substantial to go from a neutral to a Good for wants success. The only other difference I can see is that I've been at Emory for considerably more seasons, but I wouldn't think longevity would play for that specific preference.
4/17/2017 3:12 AM (edited)
Emory is way more successful in the NT. By a lot.
4/17/2017 6:19 AM
Posted by rednu on 4/17/2017 3:12:00 AM (view original):
Posted by thewizard17 on 4/17/2017 2:03:00 AM (view original):

Hadn't thought along that route, but that would make sense. BUT...that doesn't seem the case as my Emory team which is between sessions is showing a host of Good's and Bad's in that same category with the following seasons...

91 -- 22-9, NT 2, RPI 27, NR
92 -- 23-6, NT 2, RPI 21, NR
93 -- 26-7, E8, RPI 9, 9
94 -- 26-6, E8, RPI 5, 10

So, slightly worse record, better overall RPI and better NT performance. But really not looking like something THAT substantial to go from a neutral to a Good for wants success. The only other difference I can see is that I've been at Emory for considerably more seasons, but I wouldn't think longevity would play for that specific preference.
I know for certain overall record has very minimal or no effect on prestige, so I'm guessing it would probably be the same for success. I remember one season with Auburn, we were in a very tough conference, ended up going 11-16 with a fairly low RPI and we went from C to a C+. That would lead me to believe that success is mostly driven by RPI and more importantly NT wins over a four year period.
4/17/2017 9:42 AM
Wants success/rebuild ? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.