Prestige and recruiting Topic

Is there such a thing as Prestige? Seems like I read that it had a lot to do with recruiting and whether a recruit might lean toward you. I know there is "reputation" and "Loyalty" So I assume a combo of those is your prestige. And would that cost me more to get a recruit that had a coach on him that was higher in rep and loyalty?
4/17/2017 2:54 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
So where do I see the Prestige rating?
4/17/2017 11:46 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Makes me wonder if the game is real or are we just under mass hypnosis ?
4/18/2017 10:09 AM
Posted by mojolad on 4/18/2017 10:09:00 AM (view original):
Makes me wonder if the game is real or are we just under mass hypnosis ?
4/18/2017 3:29 PM
What just happened?
4/18/2017 3:37 PM
matthewjohns , I am deeply hurt by your liberal use of .
It was I , Mojolad, Professor of Oceanography at "B.S." U that made the incredible discovery of the Envelope Shark !
4/18/2017 5:02 PM
Posted by mojolad on 4/18/2017 5:02:00 PM (view original):
matthewjohns , I am deeply hurt by your liberal use of .
It was I , Mojolad, Professor of Oceanography at "B.S." U that made the incredible discovery of the Envelope Shark !
Please refrain from using "Liberal" and my name in the same sentence lol. Oil and water ='s gross water.
I take no credit for the discovery, the credit is all yours good sir! ? ? ?
4/18/2017 5:43 PM
I posted a thread about recruiting transparency a while back. This is one of the major issues I was addressing. I'll give you a current example: I've moved up to Div IA recently. My team is rated 44th, I think. I'm in New Mexico which is fairly remote v. most schools. Last season my scouts posted the #8 ranked QB. This year I checked and he had a 29 WE and a strides growth rating. I suspected this was a QB that the real elite schools might pass over and he was 291 miles away. This looked like a spot where I might move up. I bombed him the 1st rd and turned him green ahead of 3 sims that were on him. The next cycle turned him yellow when Nebraska (the 5th or 6th rated school and defending National Champion) went after him. He was much farther away, over 700 miles. I figured that his recruiting would cost 1.42 times mine to send an equal amount of scouting offers. I lost him after spending 52,626. This is where prestige comes in. With equal prestige he would have had to spend more than 1.42 x 52,626. If he only had to spend 50k then he got 75k worth of scouting, or a 50% recruiting bonus based on prestige. If he only spent 37k he got a 100% recruiting bonus based on prestige. If I knew that prestige was that big a factor, I might have just rolled over and let him have the QB. I still feel really strongly about transparency and think we should be able to see all our opponents recruiting transactions on players that we have recruited after the recruiting period is over.
4/20/2017 9:57 PM (edited)
FWIW, I rather like some of the unknowns. If we know everything, then it is simply an excel spreadsheet determination. I am probably a bit alone on this stance...but I rather like the "poker" aspect of recruiting. I totally see your point of view by the way. For me however, it adds some spice to the recruiting process.

nitros
4/20/2017 6:10 PM
Posted by nitros on 4/20/2017 6:10:00 PM (view original):
FWIW, I rather like some of the unknowns. If we know everything, then it is simply an excel spreadsheet determination. I am probably a bit alone on this stance...but I rather like the "poker" aspect of recruiting. I totally see your point of view by the way. For me however, it adds some spice to the recruiting process.

nitros
As long as there's a human pushing the levers and twisting the dials on the other side of your recruiting battle, it will never be deterministic. Humans are inconsistent. Humans do dumb, inefficient, creative, amazing things. So even if we could completely quantify prestige and its effect on recruiting effort, we still wouldn't be able to program recruiting and make it deterministic. You could probably optimize it quite nicely with a probabilistic approach, but it would never be perfect, because some dolt / evil genius would do something so unlikely... that it would work!

Your poker game will remain intact.
4/20/2017 6:42 PM
I raise you two head coach scouting trips !
4/20/2017 9:23 PM
I'm not necessarily a reformer. If I can determine the extent I'm being leaned on, I'll lean on the next guy just as much. (Just doin' my time, boss.)
4/20/2017 10:02 PM
Prestige is one thing.. being in the WAC and going against a Big 12 elite is another story. As a non-bcs school you could be looking at having to spend around 2.5x (prestige affects this number to an extent) what a BCS school has put in. For example for 1 CV you would have to send 3. Elites have an even higher BASE recruiting advantage so you are spending (or sending) even more effort to begin with.. maybe 4-6 CVs to their 1 and I would shade that to the higher number if they just won an NC.

Theres a lot of factors that go into it, most that we cant see, so its hard to figure out exact figures but if you think like that it can help you avoid battles that will be much harder for you to win.
4/20/2017 10:16 PM
1234 Next ▸
Prestige and recruiting Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.