Another GD superpower drops football Topic

Actually, St. Joseph's (Ind.), one of the best jobs in D2, is dropping football and everything else:
http://herosports.com/news/d2-sports-ncaa-division-2-losing-member-st-josephs-college-closing
4/17/2017 3:23 PM
stupid droppers
4/17/2017 5:27 PM
I'd really like to know where all the money is going. College tuition against the average family income has never been higher. Who's raking in all that cash?
4/17/2017 11:47 PM
big U

then they spend it on spending
4/18/2017 8:41 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The loans are backed by the federal government, so the college gets its' tuition one way or the other.
"Free for everyone" isn't an actual thing right now. Just an idea that is floating around out there.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/what-is-federally-guaranteed-student-loan.html
4/19/2017 1:44 PM
Right, the federally garaunteed part means the prices go up because the college can charge whatever they want and still get paid.
4/19/2017 6:48 PM
Posted by ebel331 on 4/19/2017 6:48:00 PM (view original):
Right, the federally garaunteed part means the prices go up because the college can charge whatever they want and still get paid.
Bingo.
4/19/2017 7:25 PM
Yeah but what do they do with it? Lavish weekend 'fundraising' parties?
4/19/2017 9:23 PM
Buck, almost all are building new facilities, paying higher salaries to their presidents and such. Advertising, and will give scholarships to "diverse" students....meaning anyone (location, race, gender, religion, etc, etc) that will boost their profile and give them future bragging rights as the most AAA or BBB or CCC school in the state or region or whatever.
4/19/2017 9:46 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 4/19/2017 9:46:00 PM (view original):
Buck, almost all are building new facilities, paying higher salaries to their presidents and such. Advertising, and will give scholarships to "diverse" students....meaning anyone (location, race, gender, religion, etc, etc) that will boost their profile and give them future bragging rights as the most AAA or BBB or CCC school in the state or region or whatever.
I am in the development/construction field and have been for 25 years. I have worked on several major construction projects on several high profile campuses across the country. The money that universities spend on their facilities is absolutely outrageous. They typically hire the most expensive architect that has proposed the most outrageous and expensive design and then put so many constraints on the general contractors that there is a limited field of competitive bidders. The facilities are all over designed and cost twice as much as they need to. The administration doesn't care because there is no threat of any repercussion because it's not their money. It is a pathetic wheel of ignorance and arrogance that doesn't stop turning. In the mean time the cost of college tuition outpaces the average increase in salaries. I could go on for hours about how much money they throw away.
4/19/2017 10:25 PM
And then they get up to their eyeballs in debt financing these ridiculous monuments to money, driving the least fortunate right out of existence.
Karma, I guess.
4/19/2017 10:44 PM
Posted by gators06 on 4/19/2017 10:25:00 PM (view original):
Posted by harriswb3 on 4/19/2017 9:46:00 PM (view original):
I am in the development/construction field and have been for 25 years. I have worked on several major construction projects on several high profile campuses across the country. The money that universities spend on their facilities is absolutely outrageous. They typically hire the most expensive architect that has proposed the most outrageous and expensive design and then put so many constraints on the general contractors that there is a limited field of competitive bidders. The facilities are all over designed and cost twice as much as they need to. The administration doesn't care because there is no threat of any repercussion because it's not their money. It is a pathetic wheel of ignorance and arrogance that doesn't stop turning. In the mean time the cost of college tuition outpaces the average increase in salaries. I could go on for hours about how much money they throw away.
“I’m shocked. Shocked, to find that gambling is going on here!”
4/19/2017 10:47 PM
Expensive building goes on at other schools too that manage to build endowments worth more than many countries. All while offering art degrees! I agree that facilities and building in general has gotten ludicrous compared to need, but that doesn't explain why some continue to build the endowment while others inch closer to closing and cut programs to make ends meet. I disagree it isn't complicated. I think there is a lot to it including athletic budgets, fundraising, reputation, alumni interest, historical status, tuition hikes and cuts, how endowment has been invested etc etc etc. The list is endless when it comes to where the money could have gone and why some schools have it and others don't.
4/20/2017 5:44 AM (edited)
70% decreased state subsidization
20% bloated administrator fees and unneeded building upgrades
10% various other factors

Politicians rarely have to pay a price for cutting education, so it's the obvious choice when they need cut their budget.
5/1/2017 1:10 PM
12 Next ▸
Another GD superpower drops football Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.