Either this is a bug or I am extremely unlucky Topic

Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 7:10:00 PM (view original):
IMO, the biggest indicator that something is out of wack (and I don't care if it was like this in 2.0 or not) is that if I look at D3 teams and see players that would START on my D1 team, it's messed up.

Here's Brianxavier's Center on his D3 team. I'd take him on my team over my current starting senior PF for my NMSU team (which is ranked #18 and not a dumpheap btw).

https://www.whatifsports.com/hd/PlayerProfile/Ratings.aspx?tid=0&pid=3489866

Frankly I just think there should be a significant gap in talent between D1 and D3. There are A LOT of D3 teams that could compete in low major D1 conferences. It's just not how I would design this game.
Well if we're talking about how we would design the game, I think we should eliminate the distinction between D2 and D3 entirely. It's never made any sense for this game to have 3 distinct levels, certainly not to offer incentives for them all.
4/18/2017 8:26 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/18/2017 7:01:00 PM (view original):
The "simple" solution is to remove projected levels. The market will sort it out.

Of course, that might be as bad as restricting levels.
The only problem with this solution is pretty significant - it would totally screw with the scouting calculus. Having projected levels is the most elegant way to allow users to focus scouting efforts.
4/18/2017 8:35 PM
I'm new and I scour the forums every time I log on. I fear that D3 coaches will all focus on recruiting players in higher divisions. Why recruit lowly D3 players when we are able to sign better talent? Signing day started at 5 pm in the Knight world and only one D3 human player signed a player...
4/18/2017 8:49 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 4/18/2017 8:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 7:12:00 PM (view original):
"Were you complaining about the disparity then?"

Yes I was.
Careful, or the participation trophy brigade will figure you out.
Different topic.
4/18/2017 8:51 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 8:51:00 PM (view original):

Yes I was.
Different topic.
Same topic (disparity), different divisions.

It's why the "participation trophy" tack never stuck. I don't give any ****s about parity. I want a rational and competitive simulation of college basketball.
4/18/2017 9:13 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 4/18/2017 9:13:00 PM (view original):

Yes I was.
Different topic.

It's why the "participation trophy" tack never stuck. I don't give any ****s about parity. I want a rational and competitive simulation of college basketball.
Different cause. Different consequences. Different fixes.

Different topic.
4/18/2017 9:18 PM
Posted by zagsrulez on 4/18/2017 8:49:00 PM (view original):
I'm new and I scour the forums every time I log on. I fear that D3 coaches will all focus on recruiting players in higher divisions. Why recruit lowly D3 players when we are able to sign better talent? Signing day started at 5 pm in the Knight world and only one D3 human player signed a player...
As a new player what would you recommend?
4/18/2017 9:19 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 9:18:00 PM (view original):

Yes I was.
Different topic.

Different topic.
This is a multiplayer internet game in a shared universe. A discussion about parity is a discussion about parity. Some of the specifics are different at different levels, fine. But if you care deeply about it at one division, but not another, you're either being disingenuous, or you haven't thought it all the way through.
4/18/2017 9:31 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 4/18/2017 9:31:00 PM (view original):

Yes I was.
Different topic.

Different topic.
This is a multiplayer internet game in a shared universe. A discussion about parity is a discussion about parity. Some of the specifics are different at different levels, fine. But if you care deeply about it at one division, but not another, you're either being disingenuous, or you haven't thought it all the way through.
Or maybe both?!
4/18/2017 9:33 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 9:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by pkoopman on 4/18/2017 9:31:00 PM (view original):

Yes I was.
Different topic.

Different topic.
Or maybe both?!
Good catch, that is a possibility.
4/18/2017 9:39 PM
Posted by Benis on 4/18/2017 9:19:00 PM (view original):
Posted by zagsrulez on 4/18/2017 8:49:00 PM (view original):
As a new player what would you recommend?
D3 should not be able to scout D1 especially since JUCO is an option. But what do I know? I'm gunna continue searching for the unnoticed and forgotten D1 and D2 players.
4/18/2017 10:06 PM
Posted by pkoopman on 4/18/2017 7:05:00 PM (view original):
I will add that if it can be shown that D3 dynasties are perpetuating more easily in this system, to the extent that it's a competitive balance problem, I would support one specific structural tweak, which is to establish that D1 projected players increasingly choose to go juco instead of dropping down divisions. It's a tweak based in realism, and doesn't mess with the shared universe vision of the game.
As a new coach, four complete seasons so far, I try to find players that others may have missed and may fall through the cracks. I try to pursue them judiciously and selectively. What's wrong with that? Why make the guys I recruit disappear into JUCO-land instead of signing? How does that help new coaches?
4/18/2017 11:08 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 4/18/2017 11:08:00 PM (view original):
I will add that if it can be shown that D3 dynasties are perpetuating more easily in this system, to the extent that it's a competitive balance problem, I would support one specific structural tweak, which is to establish that D1 projected players increasingly choose to go juco instead of dropping down divisions. It's a tweak based in realism, and doesn't mess with the shared universe vision of the game.
As a new coach, four complete seasons so far, I try to find players that others may have missed and may fall through the cracks. I try to pursue them judiciously and selectively. What's wrong with that? Why make the guys I recruit disappear into JUCO-land instead of signing? How does that help new coaches?
is Spud really groing to pretend that l80r20 isn't his alt ID?
4/18/2017 11:28 PM
"It wasn't me"
4/18/2017 11:35 PM
Posted by l80r20 on 4/18/2017 11:08:00 PM (view original):
Agreed. Allowing D3 users to spend budget and time on players that are unlikely to sign when they are unchallenged is a mistake. That will just irritate users.

The realistic solution is that any recruit that is being talked up as "ranked" is not listening to D3 coaches. The D3 coach has no scholarship to offer IRL. So, that would be the reason a recruit would choose JuCo over D3. They might choose JuCo over D2 for eligibility issues, if they are certain to get a D1 scholarship otherwise.

If folks really have their anus puckered over this, then it could simply be an OVR ranked restriction against D3 effort. Unranked "D1" recruits could remain unchanged. At a bare minimum, the "visible" Top 100 should never accept D3 effort, I'd argue not even D2.

I'm not sure what value or reality there is in a "shared universe". Especially when that is pared with questioning why D3 exists separately at all!
4/19/2017 6:26 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6...8 Next ▸
Either this is a bug or I am extremely unlucky Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.