Need insight - Coach relations Topic

I've played 10 seasons total in WIS in two different worlds. In my other world i saw something happen that was foreign to me and wanted to see if there was something I should know. I've seen and commented on the threads re flipping another coach's green recruits and my opinion was it's not against the rules and part of the game.

In my other world signings start tomorrow. I had plenty of green targets and one yellow I am still battling on. As of today the coach i was battling with on the yellow with has turned four of my green targets yellow. After the look of bewilderment went off my face a smile made its way on it as i checked each of the four to find the same school battling with me on each. Lol.... How should I take that, and any advice? I have plenty of money left to turn them back, but it was money i was hoping to bank for next season. What's the point in him spending his money for nothing? I could see him going after one, maybe two, but four seems wasteful, and very intentional. Kinda like a murderer stabbing a victim 73 times when 3 would have done the trick. Kinda personal, no?
4/18/2017 3:54 PM
If you don't think he'll sign the recruits, you could call his bluff and spend a ton of money on those players but offer scholarships. If he doesn't sign them, they'll go to you. Additionally, if he's doing this on numerous recruits, report it to WIS. The fairplay guidelines strictly prohibit recruiting players that you do not intend to sign.
4/18/2017 5:05 PM
I'm recruiting right now in Leahy D1AA also. I looked and found a couple of your battles with Duquesne. He has 15 scholarships to offer compared to your 7. I found your battle for RB where he is 28 miles away compared to you 47 miles. I found an OL battle that he is 0 miles away and you are 56 miles away.

He probably has money left over with his 15 scholarships and is upgrading some which happen to be green recruits of yours.
4/18/2017 5:21 PM
A few rules that I follow which you may find useful:

1. Only engage in meaningful battles. Most recruits are fungible. I typically only battle for 4-5 star recruits within my 360 and which I have a clear money, prestige and/or distance advantage.

2. Prioritize your recruits and fight one battle at a time. If you spread yourself too thin, you risk losing all your battles. Also...the more battles you are in, the more coaches are willing to jump on your recruits. It really doesn't matter of another coach turns a recruit green, as long as he signs with you at the end of the day (assuming you follow rule #1).

3. Don't get emotional. Is there really much of a difference between a 63 DB and a 61.5 DB both with average potential? Probably not. Keep your powder dry for when it really counts.

4. Be comfortable with your tactics. Some coaches like to slow play (z32 for example) and some coaches like to hit it hard (phim for example). Other coaches like pulling a midnight switch (badaxe for example). None of these tactics are wrong. Just make sure you have a plan and execute.

5. Know your opponent. Some coaches are overly emotional and will fight to the death for a punter if you flip him. Other coaches are logical. Different tactics work better on an emotional coach vs. a logical coach.

Good luck.

FWIW - If I had 7 schollies fighting someone with 15 schollies all in my 100 mile radius, I would find some backups. If I had money left over, I would pick a battle and hit it hard.
4/18/2017 6:02 PM
He could also be forcing you to spend your money in an attempt to get what he really wants. By forcing recruits to yellow before signings you dont know if he actually spent enough to sign them or spent just enough to make them yellow. If you go crazy trying to defend all of them while he sits back he could end up with an even greater advantage come signing day after scholarship reports come in. If you feel comfortable where you are with a recruit you could let it ride.. see what the reponses are to the scholarships first.
---
At least you dont have D1A schools taking a 75 rated OL from you instead of the 79 thats nearly the same distance away. I dont know if people are blind or just too lazy to find the better player that only has sims on him.
4/18/2017 7:18 PM
Great advice from Nitros and genuvar!

The one thing that I forgot to point out is a lot of times in this game I realize whatever goes around comes around. If you have lopsided classes with a rival in the same city, sometime in the next 3 seasons you will have the scholarship advantage. Oftentimes this is where I look to settle any outstanding perceived injustices on the recruiting trail.

I just looked and your Junior class is a class of 20 while Duquesne has a Junior class of 9. If you don't like what plays out here in the next couple of days go settle the score when you have a 20-9 scholarship advantage. I personally would have high goals with that 20 class where he isn't in your conference . I'd have a goal to sign 11 cheapies quick then start working on 9 (guess which 9?) - starting with the highest potentials first.
4/18/2017 7:20 PM
guys, I really appreciate the feedback. is there a link on replies CV's and/or scholarship offers that lets us know whether we're ahead or not?
4/18/2017 9:38 PM
Posted by SchoolyMe on 4/18/2017 9:38:00 PM (view original):
guys, I really appreciate the feedback. is there a link on replies CV's and/or scholarship offers that lets us know whether we're ahead or not?
the only one that matters is the response to scholarship offer... recruit will let you know if you are ahead or behind... then will send another response only if status changes either way.
4/18/2017 9:41 PM
check. so, responses after coach or campus visits tell us nothing, right?
4/18/2017 9:47 PM
yah i think they are just generic, they tell you if you've done enough to win over recruit without competition... but don't give you an answer specific to current decision
4/18/2017 10:27 PM
there are two kinds of responses that matter... scouting report gives you potential growth of recruit... and scholarship response tells you if you are ahead or behind... the rest just delete
4/18/2017 10:29 PM
Open Mapquest.com when thinking of battling for a recruit. Check the distance from the recruit to the opposing school and the distance from the recruit to your school. If distance to his school is more than 360 and to yours is less than 360 than you are in. And of course the opposite also applys. But beware , if it is close mapquest could be off by a mile or two.
If you both are aprox equal distances then the amount of scholarships you each have is very important because of $. And other important factors are how long has opposing coach and yourself been at your schools ? If big difference than there could be big dif in War Chest $ . Last, How Successful have your both been. If your team has won numerous NC's and his is a struggling up and comer then player will probably want to come to your school. But more important you would probably have a ton of War Chest $ in reserve compared to the other coach. How much aprox have you both earned in Playoff $ ?
I rarely get in a battle I am pretty sure I can't win. Let Making the Team Better be your priority and not your emotions(which I constantly struggle with :).
4/19/2017 11:47 AM (edited)
Or just use yatzr and you will get nearly exact distances without having to go to mapquest
4/19/2017 12:04 PM
I use the yatzr tool, so good there. These were all battles I didn't choose, though. They chose me. Had already invested $20k in some. Hard to walk away, but doesn't mean I shouldn't. Btw, after schollies offered im behind in all three of the battles with him that I had scholarship offers to (the other two were backups). Two of those im behind in I had spent $20k on (each) before he turned them yellow (both are less than 100 miles from me).
4/19/2017 3:29 PM
Think of it from the opposing coaches perspective. He probably had 60-80k left over and saw a few recruits less than 10 miles from him and one coach on all of them - with a 15 to 7 scholarship advantage.
4/19/2017 3:44 PM
123 Next ▸
Need insight - Coach relations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.