Need insight - Coach relations Topic

Posted by blitziscomin on 4/19/2017 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Think of it from the opposing coaches perspective. He probably had 60-80k left over and saw a few recruits less than 10 miles from him and one coach on all of them - with a 15 to 7 scholarship advantage.
Recruits also less than 100 (more relevantly, less than 180) miles from Duquesne. That's basically a non-factor (same distance tier).

Now... the 15-to-7 scholarship advantage? That's significant.
4/19/2017 4:11 PM
Schooly, my advice might be somewhat entertaining....since you and I were just in some good battles here in Wilkinson. With more human coaches in this world, you will see more of that kind of thing. You will likely find yourself in a lot of battles, especially if you are not in the top tier of vision/prestige.

To me, the best practice is to recruit in multiple worlds, so you don't get "rusty" between recruiting seasons. As pointed out above, there are many tactics (or simply real life time allowances) that coaches use in recruiting. I have the advantage of working from home and running my own business, so I can take time to recruit and watch the clock as the cycles come and go. Some people work nights and are able to do some serious recruiting at the 3AM cycle. At D1AA, one approach is to "wait and see".....meaning, don't put much money in up front...until you see if any D1A guys are gonna jump on the guys you like (as it becomes a waste of money).

I also do not believe in "getting even". If someone is actually "targeting you", which I doubt, if you try to get back at them.....it will probably force you into making bad decisions. Just keep making decisions that are in the best interest of your team. If you are in close proximity, with similar vision/prestige you will see this same coach every season battling you for the same recruits.

NOTE: Since I just battled you a bunch in this world....you may think my comment about not "getting even" is self serving. Weil, it is. LOL But its also the same advice I give to any who ask.
4/19/2017 9:41 PM
ha! Naa, taking it personal would be a detriment for sure. The "wait and see" at D1AA makes sense, especially for the highly rated guys. I did have some money go into recruits that went to DIA schools after 2-3 cycles, and once that happens it's dead money, as you mentioned.

I appreciate all of the advice and insight from all. It helped me to understand more
4/19/2017 9:56 PM
And, to more directly answer the title of the OP.

I try to have my coach relations so they are not insight of anyone else.
4/19/2017 10:09 PM
One more question:
If I have one scholarship left and in a battle with another coach for the player I want to give it to, but have several back-ups on green - is there any way to go into that last cycle with a scholarship offered to the target I'm battling for (not knowing whether I'll get him or not) and one to the back-up, so I get him if the other goes the other way? Is there an order that WIS goes in to accept scholarships that I can utilize in planning that last cycle?
4/20/2017 11:36 AM
If I was to guess I would probably say it does it based on the recruit ID. However.. I've never been in that situation and tested it.
4/20/2017 12:31 PM
never? so you either decide to roll the dice and take the chance on losing the battle and getting a SIM recruit, or you cut losses and take the back up?
4/20/2017 1:36 PM
Posted by SchoolyMe on 4/20/2017 11:36:00 AM (view original):
One more question:
If I have one scholarship left and in a battle with another coach for the player I want to give it to, but have several back-ups on green - is there any way to go into that last cycle with a scholarship offered to the target I'm battling for (not knowing whether I'll get him or not) and one to the back-up, so I get him if the other goes the other way? Is there an order that WIS goes in to accept scholarships that I can utilize in planning that last cycle?
I cannot say with certainty that scholarship offers are processed in ascending order of Recruit ID. What I can say with certainty is that recruiting emails are processed in ascending order of Recruit ID. So, like genuvar, I suspect offers are treated the same.

It would be interesting to know, though.

Regardless, once you're into signings, you should know - from the recruit's Offer response(s) - whether or not you are ahead. If you get the "ahead" message, then don't hear anything further, you're still ahead. If it goes deep into the last day without the recruit signing, the battle is tremendously close. In such a situation, with some signing imminent, I cannot imagine a coach sitting on even the most meager funds if he could spend them and possibly flip the guy.

All that to say, if you're ahead deep on the last day, you're almost certainly going to sign him; if you're behind deep on the last day, spend your last dollars (minus $100 to sign a back-up, unless you're willing to take a Sim recruit) and see if you flip him. If not, then you're not going to magically sign him.
4/20/2017 1:39 PM
You are either in the lead or not, if you are in the lead I would take the chance (if the recruit is worth it). Remember, the other coach is thinking the same thing...and (if you are in the lead) he has to bet his last dollars will flip the recruit.

This is why I love recruiting ;!

nitros
4/20/2017 2:08 PM
just learning the stuff on this thread will help me tremendously going forward... thanks, fellas
4/20/2017 10:29 PM
Recruit quality is on the bell curve. If your recruit is on the high quality tail, that is one thing. If your recruit is middling, the the fungibililty factor is in play. I try to recruit in the tail, so fungibility for me is an excuse to settle.
4/21/2017 1:36 AM
Here is what I have for an example of late signing, it does flow with the "player ID, in order" thought pattern.

Player A was UNDECIDED after 9PM going into last cycle.
Player B was GREEN after 9PM going into last cycle.

I really wanted player A, but would take either one. So, I put my last little bit of money into player A, and offered scholly to both. Player A signed with me.

Player A: 92477938
Player B: 92519927
4/21/2017 8:27 AM
That is good information. Thanks for the post harriswb3.

nitros
4/21/2017 10:17 AM
Helpful. Thanks, Harris!
4/21/2017 2:55 PM
Posted by harriswb3 on 4/21/2017 8:27:00 AM (view original):
Here is what I have for an example of late signing, it does flow with the "player ID, in order" thought pattern.

Player A was UNDECIDED after 9PM going into last cycle.
Player B was GREEN after 9PM going into last cycle.

I really wanted player A, but would take either one. So, I put my last little bit of money into player A, and offered scholly to both. Player A signed with me.

Player A: 92477938
Player B: 92519927
I suspected that's how it worked - in order of ascending Recruit ID - but didn't have a concrete example. Thank you for putting it to the test and confirming our suspicions. This is incredibly useful information.
4/21/2017 6:37 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Need insight - Coach relations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.