I'm a little perplexed by the job application logic in this game. In Rupp, I've taken Birmingham Southern from a D- to a B+ in seven seasons. Two seasons ago, we got to the Final 4 and, last season, we made the Sweet 16. Should also have the first 1st round pick in school history this season.

i was open to changing jobs this's offseason, and I applied to Cal (which is a B+ and went 11-17 last year). I got rejected, but not in favor of another coach. It's just going to stay under SIM control, apparently. Looking at my other options, all of the B+ jobs remaining say I am unqualified or "keep looking," which is what Cal said.

Two questions. First, why do you think I got rejected? Second, why has HD set up a job change system that makes it almost impossible to move up to a top job? its frustrating to be told you haven't done enough to get a good (but not elite) job when you took one of the worst programs in the country to the final 4. Also, some of these really good schools (like Michigan State, Ole Miss, LSU, BC, etc in Rupp) are just being left to rot as their prestige is too high for any up and coming coach to take over (until the roster has gotten so bad that no one would want it, that is). I actually think GD is pretty good in this area, in that the best human coach applicant usually gets the top jobs. It shouldn't be easy to get a big job, but HD makes it darn near impossible. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
4/19/2017 7:05 AM
What are your reputation and loyalty ratings? If those are A+ then your resume should be more than good enough to go Cal.

What did your "agent" tell you about your chances before you applied?

Might be worth a ticket.

A few examples: I went from D2 Rollins to D1 Florida and gberry went from D2 Florida Tech to UConn. I would think a D1 final four from a low D1 would merit some consideration.
4/19/2017 7:29 AM (edited)
You were not qualified for sure but check carefully, Maryland, Wisconsin, maybe Michigan State all have better baseline prestige and you are qualified.
4/19/2017 7:33 AM
A+ on both. The whole issue of qualifications is what I see as the problem. Obviously, you have to work your way up to the top. No question about that. But, take a Michigan St for example. If Izzo retired, would they hold out for someone as good as him (Coach K, Roy Williams, etc) and refuse to hire anyone otherwise or just hire the best coach available? The game assumes the former and it has led to Michigan State being decimated. Same with Maryland, which is down to a C+.
4/19/2017 7:43 AM
Thanks, Benis. Had not seen that thread.
4/19/2017 8:09 AM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.