DEAL 6 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

Team Name: Big Sexy Deal
Home Stadium: PETCO
Winning Strategy: Old Guys With Speed and Defensive Range.

C: Bill Dickey
1B: Jason Giambi
2B: Frankie Frisch
3B: Scott Rolen
SS: Hughie Jennings
OF: Billy Hamilton
OF: Bennie Kauff
OF: Elmer Smith
DH: Bob Caruthers

SP1: Charlie Ferguson
SP2a: Chris Sale
SP2b: Johan Santana
RP: Clae Meredith
RP: Mike Adams
RP: Rich Hill
RP: Rheal Cormier
RP: Jason Isringhausen
RP: Alex Torres
RP: Nick Maddox
5/5/2017 9:45 AM (edited)
Wheelin and Dealin
Chase Field
1st 6 picks hitting (not sure if that is a winning strategy)

C: Mickey Cochrane
1B: Bill Terry
2B: Buddy Myer
3B: Al Rosen
SS: Dave Bancroft
OF: Ty Cobb
OF: Joe Kelley
OF: Willie McGee
DH: Earl Averill

SP: Harry Krause
SP: Catfish Hunter
SP: Felix Hernandez
SP: Joe McGinnity

RP: Jonathan Papplebon
RP: Tug McGraw

Should be interesting as always!
5/3/2017 7:33 PM (edited)
One observation I have is that the strategies change for most of the owners with each version of the league. People have clearly adjusted to the results over the last few seasons, but each time we do this the options are different. Love this draft more than any other that we do.
5/5/2017 9:46 AM
This is the team to beat! Plus there are 7-8 of my all time favorite players on this team!

rjk2781: Barry Bonds, Jeff Bagwell, Larry Walker, Alex Rodriguez, Kenny Lofton, Albert Belle, Joe Mauer, Billy Wagner, Trevor Hoffman, Steve Carlton, Gaylord Perry, Tom Seaver, Jeff Kent, Greg Holland, Willie Hernandez, Robb Nen, Nolan Arenado, Mark Melancon

It's like a modern day Murderer's Row!

1) Kenny Lofton CF
2) Jeff Bagwell 1B
3) Barry Bonds LF
4) Larry Walker RF
5) Alex Rodriguez SS
6) Albert Belle DH
7) Nolan Arenado 3B
8) Jeff Kent 2B
9) Joe Mauer C
5/6/2017 12:21 PM (edited)
Posted by schwarze on 4/21/2017 4:06:00 PM (view original):
You can win a lot of different ways, but one things for sure is that you can't win with HR heavy teams when deadball pitchers are allowed in the theme.
Schwarze is usually right about winning formulas, but sometimes when enough owners avoid a strategy, a drafting opportunity may arise. When I saw I was drafting last and Lou Gehrig was still available, I decided I would try to take a lot of HRs into Bennett. We'll see if my 1.020 OPS and 422 HRs, along with decent pitching and defense, will get me in the hunt.
5/7/2017 8:13 AM
Less Than 5 and a 1000 is a Deal VI

1. cf jacoby ellsbury/max carey
2. 2b Charlie gehrigner
3. dh babe ruth
4. 1b hank greenbrug
5. lf al simmons
6. rf joe medwick
7. 3b gary shefield
8. c buck ewing/don Padgett
9. ss barry larkin

sp - don Sutton
sp - Dwight gooden
sp - john tudor
sp - Justin verlander
long b - roger nelson
setupa - bruce sutter
setupa - keith foulke
setupb - bryan Harvey
setupb - joe sambito
closer - troy Percival

going with an all modern pitching staff to see how it improves fielding. Gonna give up more hr's. Hopefull Ruth, Greenberg, Simmons can counter act that.
5/7/2017 10:56 AM
Have many of you guys put in OL teams since the last pricing update? IMO the "HR teams" are starting to be viable options at the $80 mil level and somewhat even the $100 mil level. The ability to assemble staffs of all deadball pitchers is getting really hard without completely sacrificing the ability to score runs. I am finding OL's actually fun to play again. I'd assume going forward it will trickle into the higher cap leagues too. In fact I actually had trouble staying under the $255 mil cap with the last team I built at that level which has never happened before.
5/9/2017 12:58 AM
I haven't tried $255M in a long time, but crimsonblue is one owner trying to bring back HR teams right now. Seems to be having some moderate success, but nothing ground-breaking yet. Haven't played an OL in probably 5-6 years. Lower rewards aren't worth it.
5/9/2017 11:30 AM
I think they did away with that skunk, I thought I recieved full credit the last WS I won in an OL, I could be wrong though
5/10/2017 2:57 AM
◂ Prev 12
DEAL 6 COMMENTARY THREAD Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.