Blitzing player attributes Topic

I am setting up a blitz package and was wondering what attributes you look for when assigning the designated blitzer?
Is it speed, elusiveness, GI? I know it is a combo of all these but how would you rank them. I would like to setup the player formations to designate which will be the best blitzers on my team. Probably use 1 LB and 1 DB to blitz since we can only send 1 at a time unless I hear that I should use mostly DB's or LB's
4/23/2017 11:27 AM
I don't think elusiveness or speed matter at all, although others will disagree with me. Nobody really knows the answer unfortunately. You will get a bunch of guesses and anecdotal evidence based on small samples that don't rule out other variables that may or may not have impacted the #s.

I think the position you assign the blitzer from is just as important as attributes. Dbs haven't been as effective in the role in my experience. Mlbs have had better results than OLBs for me. This is all in the 4-3 and nickel. Others may have different experiences with different formations, or the same ones even.

I personally think ath, str, and GI are most important along with strong formation IQ, but I don't know anything for certain. I have had players lead div 2 in sacks, but who knows why that happened. I have had players put up great numbers as underclassman only to develop further and have their numbers drop as upper classman. Strength of schedule? Talent around the player? Time of possession? I couldn't say.
4/23/2017 1:20 PM
What Samson said.
4/23/2017 1:29 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I study everything of everyone and can honestly say, that I don't have a clue. I have a certain type of blitz package that I used to use which involved blitzing LB #4 from a 3-4 every single play. I did this for about five seasons and the first four involved underclass 4th best LB's. They were the world sack leaders every season and each made the World all-time list. The last season I tried to use my best LB in the LB 4 spot. He was third in the world and didn't make the all time list.

SO WHO KNOWS.

BTW, I abandoned every play blitzing because it gave up entirely too many "big pass plays." AND I am not sure what the correlation of blitzing a LB and giving up big pass plays is either.
4/23/2017 4:48 PM
Posted by tigerpark135 on 4/23/2017 4:48:00 PM (view original):
I study everything of everyone and can honestly say, that I don't have a clue. I have a certain type of blitz package that I used to use which involved blitzing LB #4 from a 3-4 every single play. I did this for about five seasons and the first four involved underclass 4th best LB's. They were the world sack leaders every season and each made the World all-time list. The last season I tried to use my best LB in the LB 4 spot. He was third in the world and didn't make the all time list.

SO WHO KNOWS.

BTW, I abandoned every play blitzing because it gave up entirely too many "big pass plays." AND I am not sure what the correlation of blitzing a LB and giving up big pass plays is either.
+1

My blitzing LBs hold the sack record in Wilkinson D1A and Bryant D1A. My blitzing LB is always the worst starting LB I have. I don't think their player ratings matter.
4/23/2017 5:31 PM
I was going to put forward your name blitz as the expert on blitzing LBs until I saw you had already posted.

Sadly I think you are correct about ratings not mattering in this instance
4/23/2017 5:53 PM
I am finding more and more that ratings do not matter in certain parts of this game. I also gave up blitzing a long time ago. Too many big plays and no apparent gain.
4/23/2017 8:52 PM
I used to blitz a lot when my talent was inferior to my opponents to give myself a "puncher's chance" against the big boys hoping to maybe get a lucky play that might turn the tide of a game. My team isn't a world beater now but unless I'm playing a top 5 team, my D is strong enough to at least slow down a lot of teams. So I stop blitzing a lot during the regular season often and playoff time it depends on the matchup.
4/24/2017 2:19 AM
Only sufficient when you run a 5-2 and blitz a LB. 6 downhill stopping the run.
4/24/2017 7:20 AM
Blitzing indiscriminately is a fool's errand and will get you beat by coaches who know what they're doing (and have the talent to compete).

I'm speaking to know one in specific, but...

Don't confuse setting World Sack records with an always-blitzing defender as a sign that Blitzing always works. Be certain you have context before you assign meaning to raw numbers. When you see successful coaches tout their success with it, exercise caution in assuming you know exactly how they've implemented their system to achieve that success with blitzing.

That said, there are situations where I'm coming around to the Blitz. As always, no one-size-fits-all approach is recommended in this game.
4/24/2017 12:35 PM
I am always trying to test how blitzing, or having LBs on the LOS helps, or hurts. No luck so far coming to a conclusion
4/24/2017 4:12 PM
my one thought is if you know what makes a good coverage guy then the opposite makes a good blitzer

exception speed

but what do i know
4/25/2017 4:32 PM (edited)
Blitzing player attributes Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.