Second MLB game I attended live this season (with my other son), and it ended thusly:

Two games, with two sons, both ending with a Steve Pearce walk-off grand slam.

Believe It or Don't!
7/30/2017 7:25 PM
Hope you stayed there the whole game
7/31/2017 12:41 AM
We stayed until the end. It was my son's first MLB game, so leaving early wasn't an option. Anyway, I only go to one or two games a year, so I always stay until the end.

By the way, the Blue Jays entered the 9th trailing 10-4. This was their biggest 9th inning comeback in franchise history. The crowd was oddly energetic entering the 9th, with only a small percentage bailing early. I don't mean to sound like a rodomont, but I felt that a comeback was possible. My son asked me before the Jays batted that inning what were the odds they were going to win, and I said about 50%. I meant it!
7/31/2017 12:56 AM
Posted by crazystengel on 7/31/2017 12:56:00 AM (view original):
We stayed until the end. It was my son's first MLB game, so leaving early wasn't an option. Anyway, I only go to one or two games a year, so I always stay until the end.

By the way, the Blue Jays entered the 9th trailing 10-4. This was their biggest 9th inning comeback in franchise history. The crowd was oddly energetic entering the 9th, with only a small percentage bailing early. I don't mean to sound like a rodomont, but I felt that a comeback was possible. My son asked me before the Jays batted that inning what were the odds they were going to win, and I said about 50%. I meant it!
Ya, I got the notification they made that comeback, turned to the box score on the MLB app to look at the videos (usually scoring plays, or an important strikeout, etc.) that was the first thing I looked for. The crowd looked oddly full down 6 in the 9th. I know here in Houston, they'd leave in the 8th inning regardless the score, so idk.
7/31/2017 2:10 AM
Impressive stat: Jose Altuve (thru the end of July) has been held hitless 18 times. Meanwhile, he has three or more hits in 19 games.

He's more likely to get three hits than no hits!
8/1/2017 12:46 PM
20th anniversary of Diamond Nuggets, one of my favorite baseball humor pieces, written by Roy Blount Jr.

Some 2017 names that would fit right in:

JT Riddle
Mallex Smith
Austin Bibens-Dirkx
Tanner Scheppers
8/10/2017 2:33 PM
I watched the Blue Jays on TV Friday and found myself cheering for the other team, partly because Toronto ain't goin' nowhere this season, mostly because Bartolo Colon was starting for the Twins. He's so fun to watch -- a big fat 44-year-old kid, smiling throughout the game, tossing the ball up to himself on the mound between batters. The announcers explained he was wearing the name "Morales" on his jersey in honor of his late mother (her maiden name); I'd thought he was maybe teasing fellow husky ballplayer, and Jays DH, Kendrys Morales.

Colon didn't have great stuff, as expected (Atlanta released him earlier this season, and his ERA with Minnesota coming into this game was 6.66 in 7 starts). His fastball rarely touched 90 MPH and he didn't strike out one Jay all night. But thanks to some luck and Byron Buxton's fine defense in the outfield, he entered the bottom of the 7th with a 5-1 lead. He got the first two batters out, then up came Justin Smoak, the one Jay who had had success against Colon this game with a double, home run and walk. Smoak hit a single, and even though there was no play at first Colon ran over to the bag just to wrap his arm around Smoak's waist and say something to him, something complimentary judging by the expressions on both men's faces. Then Twins manager Paul Molitor came out with the hook and Colon walked off the mound to appreciative applause from the Toronto audience. He got the win, the 239th of his career, moving him into a tie with Three Finger Brown and David Wells.

Not that the final result hugely influenced his ability to enjoy the day. As a writer I linked earlier in this thread wrote:

On the field, Colon responds to success the same way he does to disaster: with a bemused half-smile. He may, after giving up a home run, develop a sudden interest in passing clouds overhead, but that is about the extent of his emotional displays. I don’t mean to suggest that Colon doesn’t care about winning or losing—just that he seems to float above both. He appears to take pleasure in each game, in each pitch, without being overly concerned with the ultimate result of either.

Or, more simply and surprisingly, he seems happy. Happiness is something we tend to begrudge modern athletes. They are meant to suffer in the weight room, torture themselves on the field, grind toward the ultimate goal without ever finding satisfaction, even in victory. These are the traits we celebrate in champions like Tom Brady or Michael Jordan. But is Colon’s not the more appropriate position for an adult to take? What if we entertained the notion that obsessive competitiveness after, say, the age of thirty-five isn’t a sign of high character but, rather, deep neurosis?

EDIT: I looked up what it was that Colon said to Smoak after that single that led to Colon getting yanked. He said: "Hey, are you trying to kill me?"

8/27/2017 3:29 AM (edited)
nice post

you should write about baseball more
8/27/2017 3:54 PM
i just noticed it also...really great.
8/27/2017 3:57 PM
Stanton cranked his 50th HR today.

That's 17 in his past 23 games.

Judge, who led the HR derby much of the season, has fallen way off the pace and is at 37 (still good enough for the AL lead).
8/27/2017 9:03 PM
i guess he might be the first legit player to best the maris record.
8/27/2017 9:20 PM
When did Giancarlo git gud?
8/27/2017 10:01 PM
Perhaps he can add trade value for Jeter...but I doubt anyone wants to inherit that contract...

From Cot's website...

Giancarlo Stanton rf
13 years/$325M (2015-27), plus 2028 option

• 13 years/$325M (2015-27), plus 2028 option
    • signed extension with Miami 11/19/14, avoiding arbitration
    • 15:$6.5M, 16:$9M, 17:$14.5M, 18:$25M, 19:$26M, 20:$26M, 21:$29M,22:$29M, 23:$32M, 24:$32M, 25:$32M, 26:$29M, 27:$25M, 28:$25M club option ($10M buyout)
    • Stanton may opt out of contract after 2020 season
    • full no-trade protection
    • award bonuses: $50,000 each for Gold Glove, Silver Slugger, All-Star. $0.1M for league MVP. $0.25M for LCS MVP. $0.5M for World Series MVP
    • perks: right to purchases 8 season tickets annually and stadium luxury suites for 5 games annually
    • Stanton to donate 1 percent of salaries to Marlins club charity
    • largest-ever financial guarantee for MLB player
    • matches Josh Hamilton for contract with highest average annual value for an outfielder
    • matches Ryan Howard for contract with highest average annual value for player with four-plus years of ML service
  • 1 year/$5.5M (2014)
    • re-signed by Miami 1/17/14
  • 1 year/$0.537M (2013)
    • renewed by Miami 3/2/13
  • 1 year/$0.48M (2012)
    • renewed by Miami 3/2/12
  • 1 year/$0.416M (2011)
    • renewed by Florida 3/2/11
  • 1 year (2010)
    • contract purchased by Florida 6/8/10
  • drafted by Florida 2007 (2-76) (Notre Dame Academy, Sherman Oaks, Calif.)
  • signed 8/12/07, $0.475M signing bonus
  • agent: Joel Wolfe, Wasserman Media Group
  • ML service: 6.118
8/27/2017 10:12 PM (edited)
Will Moreno get anything close to what he was hoping from Pujols?

That is one big boat anchor for the Halos. ..

I know Moreno can afford it, what with his new TV deal, but sheesh, that is a terrible deal.

8/27/2017 10:17 PM (edited)
Posted by d_rock97 on 8/27/2017 10:01:00 PM (view original):
When did Giancarlo git gud?
His ascent to superstardom seems to have coincided with Barry Bonds getting fired as Marlins hitting coach.

Good timing, by the way. If Stanton had put up these numbers in 2016 (when Bonds was hired), people would have been asking if he was availing himself of Mr. Bonds' Magic Muscly Tonic.
8/27/2017 10:21 PM
◂ Prev 1...8|9|10|11|12...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.