Blue Jays showing some frustration in Atlanta tonight en route to losing their third straight to the Braves. Kevin Pillar called Jason Motte "f@ggot" after striking out on what he deemed a quick pitch and benches briefly emptied. (Pillar apologized after the game for his "immaturity" -- I wonder if the league will take any action). Then Jose Bautista hit a meaningless late home run and did his bat flip shtick, and at the end of his trot got into it a bit with the Braves' catcher and benches briefly emptied again. After the game Eric O'Flaherty, the pitcher Bautista hit the HR off, said: "I'm surprised he's ready to fight again after what happened last year." Presumably referencing the infamous Ruffneck Odor punch that sent Jose's shades and helmet flying every which way.

Could be an eventful series finale Thursday night!
5/18/2017 1:17 AM (edited)
Just read about Freddie Freeman's wrist -- he's expected to miss 10 weeks. Didn't look that serious last night when Aaron Loup hit him. Peter Gammons quotes a "Braves veteran" saying there will be a fight tonight.

The Pillar story's been picked up by the media, with talk of a suspension.
5/18/2017 4:22 PM
Posted by crazystengel on 5/18/2017 1:17:00 AM (view original):
Blue Jays showing some frustration in Atlanta tonight en route to losing their third straight to the Braves. Kevin Pillar called Jason Motte "f@ggot" after striking out on what he deemed a quick pitch and benches briefly emptied. (Pillar apologized after the game for his "immaturity" -- I wonder if the league will take any action). Then Jose Bautista hit a meaningless late home run and did his bat flip shtick, and at the end of his trot got into it a bit with the Braves' catcher and benches briefly emptied again. After the game Eric O'Flaherty, the pitcher Bautista hit the HR off, said: "I'm surprised he's ready to fight again after what happened last year." Presumably referencing the infamous Ruffneck Odor punch that sent Jose's shades and helmet flying every which way.

Could be an eventful series finale Thursday night!
I don't see the problem with Pillar. People talk **** in every sport, they need to get over it. Michael Jordan's go-to insult was "flaming f@ggot" but of course they didn't fine or suspend him.
5/18/2017 5:54 PM
2 game suspension for Pillar (team suspension, not league).
5/18/2017 7:03 PM (edited)
Aaron Judge went 0-4 today, dropping his average to .321 after 41 games. He has 15 HR.

He did make this sweet catch, though.
5/21/2017 6:34 PM
I just came across the phrase "5 o'clock phenom" in an article about Judge. Anyone know what that means? From the context of the article it sounds like "flash in the pan" but I've never seen it before.
5/22/2017 1:47 PM
New to me, too. And I don't think at this point a fair characterization of Judge. Trying to pass that judgement on him during his rookie year seems incredibly premature.
5/22/2017 2:46 PM
Or I guess almost-rookie year. But the basic point doesn't change.
5/22/2017 2:47 PM
Actually the writer said Judge was no 5 o'clock phenom, and as proof offered the fact that he's leading the league in home runs.

Looking at the article again, I think the writer intended the phrase to mean "batting practice stud who doesn't produce when it counts."
5/22/2017 5:53 PM
That makes a lot of sense. Big time power, no contact type. I like that one. Probably use it in the future.

Like Joey Gallo right now. Not saying he doesn't still have lots of upside...
5/22/2017 8:08 PM
Gallo's got a hell of a line through 45 games for Texas (he's appeared in 44 of them):

.184/.303/.504

Using the draft center, I couldn't find a single player who had a BA under .200 and a SLG over .500, not even a part-time player. Not even Dave Kingman!
5/23/2017 2:38 AM
You are up late crazystengel. Good to see. I am unfortunately just up early in Italy and off to my last class for the semester ! After which I can give baseball more attention.

What's with all the Judge hating by the way? Y'all miss Jeter?
5/23/2017 3:01 AM
I actually like Judge (thought that was clear from my posts?).

I even liked "Past the Diving" Jeter -- I never blamed him for his fans (and much of the media) overrating him...
5/24/2017 9:58 AM
An Ode to Bartolo Colon

"Jolly medieval friar" is bang on. Perm this dude up and he's Bartolo's long lost cousin.

5/25/2017 2:15 AM
Judge hits his first career grand slam, bringing home, among others, Eddie Gaedel.

5/29/2017 2:26 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...17 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.