Does the Engine Treat 4's and 5's differently? Topic

Thoughts? e.g. Does it really pay to put a better ball-handler at PF rather than center?
4/25/2017 2:56 PM
I think it depends on how you distribute the ball. If your PF is going to take alot of shots I would think he should be the better ball handler and vice versa.

I could be completely off base though...
4/25/2017 3:26 PM
It definitely does. It values SP more in the PF slot. It also affect rebounding. I don't know the exact algorithm, but rebound values are weighted differently per position. It's something like C REB * 0.8, PF REB * 0.6, SF REB * 0.4, etc, where C REB = that player's REB rating. Rebounds are also affected by IQ and defensive positioning, but the REB ratings are valued differently in each position.
4/25/2017 9:01 PM
Aren't Rebounds also affected by Ath?
4/25/2017 10:31 PM
Posted by darnoc29099 on 4/25/2017 9:01:00 PM (view original):
It definitely does. It values SP more in the PF slot. It also affect rebounding. I don't know the exact algorithm, but rebound values are weighted differently per position. It's something like C REB * 0.8, PF REB * 0.6, SF REB * 0.4, etc, where C REB = that player's REB rating. Rebounds are also affected by IQ and defensive positioning, but the REB ratings are valued differently in each position.
This is quite a bit more excellent than I imagined. Well done.

and, yep. Ath impacts rebounding, cubcub
4/26/2017 1:38 AM
Posted by cubcub113 on 4/25/2017 10:31:00 PM (view original):
Aren't Rebounds also affected by Ath?
Definitely. I knew I was forgetting something.
4/26/2017 7:54 AM
I don't have data to proove this but I think PF's can take more 3's than C's as well. I have a hard time getting my high perimeter centers to take 3's (although I still think high perimeter helps with them scoring 2fg's efficiently) but I have been able to get PF's to take 2ish 3FGA's a game.
4/26/2017 11:02 AM
Seriously though, if you have your PF at 0 Distribution then what does BH do? That basically means he isnt touching the ball right? So it would depend on you and how you run your offense. I would think if you have your C at a 10 Distribution and your PF at 0 that you would want your C as the better BHer....right? Or have I been completely wrong looking at all of this.

4/26/2017 11:24 AM
BH helps two ways:

1. Preventing TO's
2. Increasing FG%

As distro increases for post players, BH becomes more important.
4/26/2017 12:21 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/26/2017 12:21:00 PM (view original):
BH helps two ways:

1. Preventing TO's
2. Increasing FG%

As distro increases for post players, BH becomes more important.
Agreed, kind of what I thought and was saying. If you just have a Dennis Rodman like beast down low who isnt going to take shots or get passes then BH is less important.
4/26/2017 1:17 PM
The only corollary to that is playing against the press. I am pretty confident the early possession turnover is a calculation that uses TEAM SPEED and TEAM BALL HANDLING (weighted by position).....among a few other factors.
4/26/2017 2:29 PM
They made the PF and C rebounding weights equal several years ago. So in fact this is not a difference between those positions anymore.
4/26/2017 3:23 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/26/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
They made the PF and C rebounding weights equal several years ago. So in fact this is not a difference between those positions anymore.
Really??? Can anyone confirm?
4/26/2017 4:12 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/26/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
I don't think that is true dahs.
4/26/2017 4:24 PM
I did find this in the developer chat:

The current engine gives each of the 10 players on the floor a percentage chance to get the rebound based on ratings/etc. Then the rebound is assigned based on those individual odds instead of a formula for team odds. The formula for a player's ability in rebounding is fairly similar between the two engine
4/26/2017 4:41 PM
12 Next ▸
Does the Engine Treat 4's and 5's differently? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.