Does the Engine Treat 4's and 5's differently? Topic

Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/26/2017 2:29:00 PM (view original):
The only corollary to that is playing against the press. I am pretty confident the early possession turnover is a calculation that uses TEAM SPEED and TEAM BALL HANDLING (weighted by position).....among a few other factors.
Theoretically, running slow down against press would lead to *more turnovers* based on the concept that you're forced to pass out of more double teams with the longer possessions. Similarly, running slowdown against zone would lead to very few turnovers. Am I wrong? Do we even know?
4/26/2017 8:10 PM
I think you are wrong. The sim engine makes decisions on a "possession" basis not "action" basis. What I mean by that is when one team has the ball it decides what happens (Shot, turnover, foul) as opposed to what happens every time each individual player touches the ball.

I believe tempo merely modifies how long each possession is before a decision is made. There used to be significant, intelligent discussion on if there was a "penalty" on running up tempo but I don't think a consensus was really reached. I do not believe there is.
4/26/2017 8:30 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/26/2017 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/26/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 4/25/2017 9:01:00 PM (view original):
It definitely does. It values SP more in the PF slot. It also affect rebounding. I don't know the exact algorithm, but rebound values are weighted differently per position. It's something like C REB * 0.8, PF REB * 0.6, SF REB * 0.4, etc, where C REB = that player's REB rating. Rebounds are also affected by IQ and defensive positioning, but the REB ratings are valued differently in each position.
They made the PF and C rebounding weights equal several years ago. So in fact this is not a difference between those positions anymore.
I don't think that is true dahs.
I think you're right dahs!
4/26/2017 4:45 PM Trentonjoe
Does player position matter at all when it comes to rebounding?

Will a 80 ATH 80 REB guy average the same amount of rebounds if he is at the PF or C position if every thing else is equal?
4/27/2017 2:24 PM Customer Support

We would expect the numbers to be close, but there could be some variance due to the defensive game plan (floor spacing at each position) and the quality of rebounder your oppenent may have at either position.
4/27/2017 2:49 PM
Holy ****. Mind blown. Thanks guys!
4/27/2017 3:36 PM
So I should switch Johnson and Houle on Weber St. then. Man, that's really game-changing.
4/27/2017 3:37 PM
I would play Houle vs the better offensive threat or the worse of the two defenders.
4/27/2017 6:35 PM
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/27/2017 2:49:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Trentonjoe on 4/26/2017 4:24:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/26/2017 3:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by darnoc29099 on 4/25/2017 9:01:00 PM (view original):
It definitely does. It values SP more in the PF slot. It also affect rebounding. I don't know the exact algorithm, but rebound values are weighted differently per position. It's something like C REB * 0.8, PF REB * 0.6, SF REB * 0.4, etc, where C REB = that player's REB rating. Rebounds are also affected by IQ and defensive positioning, but the REB ratings are valued differently in each position.
They made the PF and C rebounding weights equal several years ago. So in fact this is not a difference between those positions anymore.
I don't think that is true dahs.
I think you're right dahs!
4/26/2017 4:45 PM Trentonjoe
Does player position matter at all when it comes to rebounding?

Will a 80 ATH 80 REB guy average the same amount of rebounds if he is at the PF or C position if every thing else is equal?
4/27/2017 2:24 PM Customer Support

We would expect the numbers to be close, but there could be some variance due to the defensive game plan (floor spacing at each position) and the quality of rebounder your oppenent may have at either position.
I don't think this answer says anything at all, one way or the other.
4/27/2017 9:12 PM
I distinctly remember when they decided to make both posts equal rebounders. Unfortunately all the pre-3.0 release notes seem to have been removed.
4/28/2017 3:37 AM
Posted by dahsdebater on 4/28/2017 3:37:00 AM (view original):
I distinctly remember when they decided to make both posts equal rebounders. Unfortunately all the pre-3.0 release notes seem to have been removed.
The crazy thing is I remember learning about the differences in REB by position from one of your posts, years ago. I started in 2012 and don't recall any changes being made since then. But if it has changed, that's good to know. I just wish the CS response to TJ gave us some info instead of another two sentence answer that doesn't say anything.
4/29/2017 2:46 PM
◂ Prev 12
Does the Engine Treat 4's and 5's differently? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.