Optomized Depth Chart Question Topic

I was just looking at the optimized depth chart and the computer likes to do the depth chart a little differently than what I like to do. The computer likes to put the 3rd best guard in both the backup PG and backup SG spot. The same for the 3rd best post, he is placed in the backup PF and C spot. Is this how you guys like to do it? I like to have a different player backup each spot and my 11th and 12th players are 3rd strings. I also sometimes do a mix if my backups are not very good. The main question is which way do you think is better?

Computer Optimized Depth Chart:
PG SG SF PF C
PG 1 SG 1 SF 1 PF 1 C 1
Guard 3 Guard 3 SF 2 Post 3 Post 3
Guard 4 Guard 4 Any Post 4 Post 4
Guard 5 Guard 5 Any Post 5 Post 5

What I typically do (Granted everything is situational. Depends on how recruiting has gone and how well players have developed):
PG SG SF PF C
PG 1 SG 1 SF 1 PF 1 C 1
PG 2 SG 2 SF 2 PF 2 C 2
Guard 5 Guard 5 Any Post 5 Post 5
SG 1 PG 1 Any C 1 PF 1
*Note I typically redshirt either Guard 5 or Post 5 so I'll just move PG/SG up one and have the PG/SG 2's move into that last spot.

How do you guys formulate your depth chart?
4/26/2017 11:44 AM
I don't think there's going to be any "right" answer. It's all going to (or should?) depend on your particular roster, the depth you have, and what your expectations are for the season. Whatever approach was best for you last season might not be best this season. And you might need a different approach next season as young players develop and older players move on.

To answer your specific question: with my D2 team in Rupp, I'm doing exactly what you've suggested. Five starters, five backups (one for each position), and two third-stringers. This is the first time I've taken this specific approach because I think this is what will work best with this particular roster. But I will likely adjust throughout the season based on (a) specific games and matchups, and (b) performance and development of my players.
4/26/2017 12:35 PM
For my teams, it's going to depend on my personnel. I don't play any man defense, so my teams are all pretty flexible, in terms of positioning.

For my FB-press, I'll usually end up with 5 starters, 5 backups, and 2 3-string. The exception is when I have a good shooting, weak defending guard I want to bring off the bench at different spots. Sometimes that kind of guy will be the 2-string at both guards and SF. That maximizes his minutes, and makes it tough for a defense to key in on him without double teams; easier to hide on defense, too. Then each of those positions will have a unique 3-string.

With my zone/press teams, though, I'm often more inclined to maximize minutes for my top 7 or 8. Zone makes it easier to do that. My depth charts for z/p teams often look like what sim wants to do with your lineup. I'll have 2 or 3 backups covering those 5 slots, sometimes based on whether I'm going 2-3 or 3-2. Then I'll set fatigue substitutions, paying attention to stamina and overall quality, to help make sure I usually have at least a couple starters on the floor. For example, if I have a guard backing up both guard spots, I'll often set the better one (especially if he has superior stamina) to getting tired, leaving the other at fairly fresh. This helps me hide freshmen or other projects that aren't ready to be exposed for a lot of minutes.
4/26/2017 1:50 PM
I do what the sim wants you to do quite often, when my 3rd guy is way better than my fourth and I want him to get starter minutes, or he is low on defense so I want to hide him.
4/26/2017 4:04 PM
Optomized Depth Chart Question Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.