Real Franchise Progressive (RFP)/12+ IN Topic

Wanted to float this one:

1. Start in 1993
2. We will run an initial lottery to determine the order to pick a franchise, you pick 12 players who played for them in 93-94 season, pretty much the exact team although with trades, open to debate how to handle that
3. For the franchises not chosen, those players are placed in the initial draft pool along with 1993 rookies
4. Play it out from there

Why 93?

Well, it keeps it interesting by immediately guaranteeing no MJ Bulls in the late 90s. And that young Shaq can stay with the "Magic" of the RFP (but not with Penny yet) even as his seasons are soon to be marked with Lakers on them. Two all time draft classes are just around the corner.

Once we set the initial rosters, the rest of history is altered. And yet - the continuity is maintained. It also gets us into the modern NBA very quickly but still 8 years before we'd catch up to today.

Which franchise do you think you can alter history and turn into a winner?

Once we fill, we'll do a lottery to determine draft order for teams, and then do a second draft (with an accompanying drop) based on 92-93 order of finish (OR some type of reverse order from the initial franchise draft) for 93 rookies and non selected franchise players.

In (12):
Jkaye24
Thejte
Rjk2781
Onslaught
MVG99
rubnsly
Cea8010
thedude110
tau1624
cjok1051
seapilots
shine06

Expressed interest (4):
jhsukow
Bkbillups
Ashamael
Longtallbrad
5/27/2017 3:33 PM (edited)
Very nice concept
5/1/2017 5:06 PM
I'm very intrigued. Questions!

1. Why use 91-92 order of finish for the 93-94 season? Why wouldn't you use the 92-93 order of finish?
2. Are players that are "retired" in 93-94 (Jordan, Magic) considered rookies when they come back and go into the normal draft, or do those franchise have the rights to them (Chicago for Jordan, LA for Magic)?
3. Will we be drafting for franchises or is it first come, first serve?

I really don't have room for another team - much less a progressive - but this has me very excited.
5/1/2017 10:54 PM
Posted by ashamael on 5/1/2017 10:54:00 PM (view original):
I'm very intrigued. Questions!

1. Why use 91-92 order of finish for the 93-94 season? Why wouldn't you use the 92-93 order of finish?
2. Are players that are "retired" in 93-94 (Jordan, Magic) considered rookies when they come back and go into the normal draft, or do those franchise have the rights to them (Chicago for Jordan, LA for Magic)?
3. Will we be drafting for franchises or is it first come, first serve?

I really don't have room for another team - much less a progressive - but this has me very excited.
1. That was a typo, you are correct. I changed it to 92-93. However, thinking about it more I realize there would be two options:

Run a lottery among the actual 6 worst finishers in the 92-93 NBA
OR
Run a lottery among the last 6 franchises DRAFTED in this league

2. My initial thought was that retired players would NOT belong to any franchise. We would use the real teams to set the initial rosters but all future moves would diverge from realty based on "normal" progressive rules, i.e. Anyone without a season cannot be drafted, which would include Jordan and Magic. They can be drafted in the draft for when they do have a season available.

3. I think randomizing a draft order for all 24 owners who sign up is best rather than first come first serve. Thus, the first draft would be to select a franchise.

Then, the second draft (point #1) would be to draft 1993 rookies or players on the 3 franchises not chosen (there were 27 teams in 93-94). We could do this via add/drop on a per round basis giving owners flexibility in this draft. Going forward in future season, draft picks would only be based on how many keepers owners select.
5/3/2017 8:02 AM
You answered everything in a way that makes me want to play even more. Gah.
5/3/2017 9:37 PM
Could also do a double progressive and maintain the integrity of the league. Pick a 93-94 franchise and a 73-74 franchise.
5/3/2017 9:54 PM
I would be interested in giving this concept a try.
5/20/2017 11:36 AM
There is some interest. I'll keep bumping this and maybe it catches a wave...
5/20/2017 12:56 PM
I'm interested
5/20/2017 1:16 PM
Cool idea. I'm in.
5/20/2017 10:37 PM
Interesting. What about players with split seasons in the sim (Players that show up twice with the same stats because they were traded)?
5/21/2017 9:03 PM
Posted by onslaught on 5/21/2017 9:03:00 PM (view original):
Interesting. What about players with split seasons in the sim (Players that show up twice with the same stats because they were traded)?
Honestly open to debate. I suppose everyone will have their own take on what the "cleanest" solution is.

There are several options but the one that makes the most sense is honestly just that we do random coin flips to decide which team gets the player. I haven't compiled a list so I am not sure what the full list would look like and how impactful it will be.

One big trade was Dominique for Manning. In that case, a random draw could decide between Hawks and Clippers which team gets which player for our league. Could do this for every transaction that occurred, as a way to set opening rosters.

Other ideas would be: FINAL 93-94 rosters are what we go by. Or, OPENING 93-94 rosters. I can see the case for either.

as I said - very open to suggestions as we get closer to having a full league
5/22/2017 10:01 AM (edited)
The two options I would suggest is players are assigned to the team which they played the most minutes for that season or the last team they played for that season.
5/22/2017 10:06 AM
Count me in.
5/22/2017 10:41 AM
Posted by shine06 on 5/22/2017 10:06:00 AM (view original):
The two options I would suggest is players are assigned to the team which they played the most minutes for that season or the last team they played for that season.
This makes a lot of sense to me.
5/22/2017 11:05 AM
1234 Next ▸
Real Franchise Progressive (RFP)/12+ IN Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.