Converting P to K Hypothetical Topic

Here is the situation: In Heisman right now I have 1 P (senior) and 0 K and we're in recruiting. I was planning on recruiting a kicker, but this session has been very easy randomly so I have 1 very good recruit I won't be able to sign (Top 25 at his position). I could however just convert the Punter to Kicker, but his attributes would drop to 72 STR and only 46 TECH. My team should be very good this season, so I'm worried that 46 TECH is too low for D1. Money is no object because I have plenty and no battles (this is rare as I'm not at an elite).

Option 1: Convert the Punter into a bad Kicker, but also sign a top recruit.

Option 2: Sign the Kicker as originally planned (73 STR and 67 TECH for reference).
4/29/2017 8:09 PM
Why would you have to convert him? I thought he would by default become the kicker. Then you would not lose any attribute points.
4/29/2017 8:27 PM
Option 3: Sign the top recruit and don't convert the punter? Let him do both punting and kicking from the punter position.
4/29/2017 8:30 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
I was under the impression that Punters were worse at kicking than kickers were at punting. In other words he might be better at kicking if converted, than just keeping him at P. Is that incorrect?
4/29/2017 8:51 PM
I only ever carry 1 (K/P) and his numbers look good to me. I'd take the position player now and a K/P next season.
4/29/2017 9:27 PM
Yea sign the recruit and keep the punter where he is. He will assume kicker duties also and probably not do too bad. --- I also think it was GT Deuce that preferred punters to kickers for whatever reason. I dont think there is any benefit to converting him.
4/29/2017 11:02 PM
Posted by awags on 4/29/2017 8:30:00 PM (view original):
Option 3: Sign the top recruit and don't convert the punter? Let him do both punting and kicking from the punter position.
Awags wins this thread.
4/29/2017 11:23 PM
Z, you had it backwards...

Ps kick better than Ks punt. Unfortunately, I don't have data to justify this stance, so you're going to have to trust my powers of observation. Or not.
4/29/2017 11:25 PM
Even better! Ok cool I'll go with option 3. Especially being at Wisconsin, I have to take the opportunity to get talent where I can. I appreciate the insight!
4/30/2017 12:25 AM
But practice kicking for And Punting whether you use a kicker or a punter.
4/30/2017 3:06 AM
I'm still not sure there is any benefit to that.

if practicing punting helps a punter increase tech and as I understand it there is no value to practicing passing/kicking as a punter to increase tech because that practice does not hold value to that position.. then I don't think practicing kicking will do anything for a punters kicking ability.

It is more likely that the same variables that are used to calculate a kickers ability are also used for the punter with X being a penalty for playing out of position and practicing kicking will have no affect on whatever X is.

I could be wrong on the whole practicing thing though but I could have sworn that those 3 specifically are position specific and hold no value if used out of position.
4/30/2017 3:41 AM
And just in case... don't let someone walk.on into that K spot. Fill that class
4/30/2017 2:58 PM
Or face 23.5 ypg punt avg....ouch....
4/30/2017 10:54 PM
Posted by genuvar on 4/30/2017 3:41:00 AM (view original):
I'm still not sure there is any benefit to that.

if practicing punting helps a punter increase tech and as I understand it there is no value to practicing passing/kicking as a punter to increase tech because that practice does not hold value to that position.. then I don't think practicing kicking will do anything for a punters kicking ability.

It is more likely that the same variables that are used to calculate a kickers ability are also used for the punter with X being a penalty for playing out of position and practicing kicking will have no affect on whatever X is.

I could be wrong on the whole practicing thing though but I could have sworn that those 3 specifically are position specific and hold no value if used out of position.
Support won't give a clear answer which is why nobody knows. I have a ticket that literally says "it is position dependent and it won't help much". If it is position dependent, how does it help at all? How can it be both? Waiting to hear back but I don't expect I will. I agree though that if kicking and punting raise tech and the practice is position dependent, it shouldn't do anything. If it isn't position dependent, it is an interesting way to get around diminishing returns on straight position practice.
5/1/2017 5:42 AM
Converting P to K Hypothetical Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.