Hiring Coaches Down Topic

How frequently do ML coaches accept a AAA offer on the last day of hiring? Is it a risky play to wait it out?
5/1/2017 3:32 PM (edited)
1) As soon as all 32 positions are filled at the ML level, all coaches at HC, PC, or BC will drop their demands to AAA level, and AAA level costs. They won't drop if anyone holds out on hiring ML coaches until the last cycle. In many worlds someone does that... I'm not a good judge of how many worlds because I do it (and so it's 100% in my worlds).
2) ML coaches will always consider a AAA offer for 1.5x their ML demands. The option to pay a "ML" HC $900K to be your AAA HC (or more reasonably, a ML 1B coach $600K to be your AAA HC) is always there if you want it.

Other than that, if they drop their demands I don't know about it.

5/1/2017 4:40 PM
This is real good info. Thanks dedelman.
5/1/2017 5:00 PM
Posted by dedelman on 5/1/2017 4:40:00 PM (view original):
1) As soon as all 32 positions are filled at the ML level, all coaches at HC, PC, or BC will drop their demands to AAA level, and AAA level costs. They won't drop if anyone holds out on hiring ML coaches until the last cycle. In many worlds someone does that... I'm not a good judge of how many worlds because I do it (and so it's 100% in my worlds).
2) ML coaches will always consider a AAA offer for 1.5x their ML demands. The option to pay a "ML" HC $900K to be your AAA HC (or more reasonably, a ML 1B coach $600K to be your AAA HC) is always there if you want it.

Thx, dedelman. Follow-ups:
1) If another owner holds out to that last cycle, can you still be successful (on that last cycle) hiring a ML coach with an AAA offer? Or do they have to lower their demands a cycle earlier for that to work?
2) If a coach wants $2M to be your ML bench coach, do you have to offer $3M to be your AAA bench coach? Or $900K?
5/1/2017 9:00 PM (edited)
Dedelman- do you do it to purposely sabotage others, or just because you forget or don't pay attention or whatever
5/1/2017 8:30 PM
I do it in one of my worlds because there's an oversupply of ML bench coaches. On the very last cycle there are usually five to ten adequate options; I just lowball three of them with whatever money I have left over from the more important coaches.

5/1/2017 9:12 PM
I'm seeing a lot more ML coaches at each level than openings (over 40 in the market for under 15 spots). Should I go through my rehire process expecting to get one of them to come down to AAA by the end? Or rehire assuming that that's unlikely?
5/2/2017 8:40 AM (edited)
Posted by opie100 on 5/1/2017 9:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by dedelman on 5/1/2017 4:40:00 PM (view original):

Thx, dedelman. Follow-ups:
1) If another owner holds out to that last cycle, can you still be successful (on that last cycle) hiring a ML coach with an AAA offer? Or do they have to lower their demands a cycle earlier for that to work?
2) If a coach wants $2M to be your ML bench coach, do you have to offer $3M to be your AAA bench coach? Or $900K?
1) They have to lower their demands a cycle earlier to my knowledge. That's the part I'm not sure about.
2) $3M
5/2/2017 11:18 AM
Posted by damag on 5/1/2017 9:13:00 PM (view original):
I do it in one of my worlds because there's an oversupply of ML bench coaches. On the very last cycle there are usually five to ten adequate options; I just lowball three of them with whatever money I have left over from the more important coaches.

This. In all my worlds there is a surplus of reasonable quality ML HC, PC, and BC. So I lowball them on the last cycle, when they'll accept it.

Sabotaging other teams' AAA coach hiring is just a mildly useful side effect-- I probably wouldn't do it just for that. In my opinion, the benefits of being a good world citizen outweigh making other teams get AAA coaches at AAA and not ML coaches. But getting dirt cheap, reasonable quality ML coaches outweighs being a good world citizen.
5/2/2017 11:21 AM
Posted by opie100 on 5/2/2017 8:40:00 AM (view original):
I'm seeing a lot more ML coaches at each level than openings (over 40 in the market for under 15 spots). Should I go through my rehire process expecting to get one of them to come down to AAA by the end? Or rehire assuming that that's unlikely?
Rehire assuming that's unlikely-- with the caveat that I've never just tried to offer them AAA jobs in the last cycle, regardless of their demands, just to see what would happen.
5/2/2017 11:23 AM
I've never tried it either. I (only) suspect it's a case that you'd have to assume the worst. Every time I've gone through coach hiring, there are invariably one or two owners who wait, do nothing, or are flat out absent and miss coach hiring. So unless you are certain that, say, all 32 BL coaches at a position are hired before the last cycle - and I don't know how because once you sign yours you stop seeing available openings - you'd risk the AI auto-signing a coach for you.

I only bothered to try to track it one season, but the one time I tried following who looked like they had coaches auto assigned, all the coaches I saw who got jobs were ones who had not worked at all the previous season. I can't confirm whether it was a coincidence, or whether that's actually a criteria for the AI to choose.

5/2/2017 12:32 PM
You can track how many coaches are hired through Reports, Coaches.
5/2/2017 3:31 PM
This just happened to me. I whiffed on all the Triple-A pitching coaches and was left with no good options at that level to choose from. So I offered what was left in my coaching budget to the best available ML pitching coach. He denied me at first, but eventually signed in the second-to-last coach hiring cycle.
5/4/2017 1:11 PM
Nick-- you paid him $1.6M. He probably accepted when his projected demand dropped below 2/3 of that (ie, your offer got to 1.5x his projected demand).
5/4/2017 1:35 PM
Hiring Coaches Down Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.