Redshirt / Potential Questions Topic

I had a couple of quick questions:

1.) Is there any knowledge of adverse effects on potential or growth from redshirting a player? It seems like by redshirting, growth isn't as much as it would be in year 1 versus actually having the player in your rotation. Would a redshirt make up the difference on growth in years 2-5? I guess the question is would a redshirted player have the same attributes by the end of year 5 that they would have had if not redshirted and going through the normal 4 years of eligibility?

2.) Given the potential colors and the ratings growth expected at each color, is it exact how many attribute points you can expect a player to grow once the colors start to downgrade from green to blue to black, etc. For example, if blue marks a 20-27 point growth and green marks a 28+ point growth over the course of a player career, if a players color goes from green to blue overnight, can you expect an exact growth of 27 points from that point forward? Or do some players have more rapid deterioration on potential.

Appreciate the help!
5/4/2017 7:38 AM
The RS will have more growth not less.

correct you would expect 27 pts of max growth in that scenario.

One thing to remember- blue attributes will increase quickly while red will be slow. So getting the last 2 or 3 pts can take awhile.
5/4/2017 8:03 AM
Just to clarify, in the R/S year the player tends to grow at a slower rate than he would if he were playing in that same season. That R/S season will also get the player another full year of IQ improvement.

A solid piece of advice is to R/S the player you think will be your best player down the road (unless promises were made during recruiting).
5/4/2017 8:50 AM
Its counterintuitive but I sometimes like to RS a guy with lowish WE. This way I can then start him 4 seasons and his IQ won't be completely garbage that first season.

but totally agree with darnoc. RS those guys with tons of potential.
5/4/2017 9:14 AM
I have a guy who won't play much his freshman year but will need to start the next season(two senior PG on the team).

As his growth will be slower as a RS, is it worth just letting him get a few minutes per game to ensure he improves as much as possible his FR year?
6/28/2017 10:43 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 6/28/2017 10:43:00 AM (view original):
I have a guy who won't play much his freshman year but will need to start the next season(two senior PG on the team).

As his growth will be slower as a RS, is it worth just letting him get a few minutes per game to ensure he improves as much as possible his FR year?
Short term, it's probably a good idea to not RS. Long term, it's better to have the RS. Depends on growth potential too though.

Will he become a stud vs a solid player with a RS? If not, then might be better to go for the earlier production.
6/28/2017 10:54 AM
I don't see stud in the future.
6/28/2017 11:09 AM
I don't know where to ask this, but is it unusual for a guy to gain more than 100 points in a season? One of my guys is +105 with a couple games to go.
7/6/2017 11:12 PM
Posted by DeBeque on 7/6/2017 11:12:00 PM (view original):
I don't know where to ask this, but is it unusual for a guy to gain more than 100 points in a season? One of my guys is +105 with a couple games to go.
It is on the higher end. Guys that grow that much in a season usually have a higher WE and a lot of blue/green categories.
7/6/2017 11:20 PM
Thanks. I got pretty lucky with this guy, I think. He still has 4 greens and 2 blues left, not counting stamina and durability. I think he could be a pretty good player for me.
7/6/2017 11:44 PM
Posted by DeBeque on 7/6/2017 11:44:00 PM (view original):
Thanks. I got pretty lucky with this guy, I think. He still has 4 greens and 2 blues left, not counting stamina and durability. I think he could be a pretty good player for me.
Sounds like you've got yourself a stud there.

The opposite of that is having a center who was recruited with blue defense, blue rebounding, and blue low post all turn black after growing three or four points and within a three-night period. It was a rough week.

7/7/2017 12:27 AM
Redshirt / Potential Questions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.